California Riders Of Vision Fall Run

Started by glennw, May 18, 2004, 07:21:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfly

Hey all, I am still not at home, and my V is still in pieces, but I might jump up there to meet everyone before the ride.  Where exactly is everyone meeting?
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Ron_McCoy

I guess we'll all meet at the R Ranch at Johnsondale. To get there from Kernville just turn left after the bridge and go up
the river about 20 miles. You can't miss it. There is a road
sign, and the large "R" Ranch sign. You just turn left on the
entrance road to the security shack and check in. Tell them you  are with the McCoy group and they will direct you to the
cabin. Our owner number is 2445D in case you should need that.

gbranche

How far is it coming in from the other direction, say, from the intersection of Hot Springs Rd. and Western Divide Hwy?

For the record (if anybody wants to join-up with Matt and I), we're planning on leaving San Jose around noon on Friday, and expect to take between 6 and 7 hours for the trip to Johnsondale. Our route will most likely be:

South from San Jose on Monterey Hwy, to 101, to CA-25, through Hollister, and on to Coalinga via Los Gatos Rd. We'll probably stop at the Harris Ranch travel stop ( I-5 & CA-198 ) for gas, and to meet up with my wife and kids (traveling in a four-wheeled vehicle), so that I can swap passengers. From there, we'll use CA-198 through the central valley, past Lemoore NAS and into Visalia. From there, we'll take Yokohl Valley Dr. to Milo, then Springville Milo Rd to CA-190 through Quaking Aspen, where it turns into Western Divide Hwy, eventually dumping us onto Hot Springs Rd, which will take us into Johnsondale.

(Note: this route is still subject to change, depending on whether or not I get any better suggestions. :) )

We're looking forward to seeing y'all this weekend.

Greg

Lucky

Pics! Pics! Pics! take lots for the rest of us. there should be doccumentation of all these V's in one place, and, if somehow you could get a shot of the group rounding a curve...Awesome!!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Lucky -

Not to worry, I'll have my digital camera along - might even be able to get some video (depends on memory - the camera's, not mine  :D).  There should be lots of pics when I get back to my computer around Oct. 12 or so.  Hopefully, someone will be along willing to sit someplace to get the action shots.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

Man, action video with audio of a wave (flight?) of Visions passing by, how cool would that be??  anyone got a Sony digicam, lol?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

gbranche

QuotePics! Pics! Pics! take lots for the rest of us. there should be doccumentation of all these V's in one place, and, if somehow you could get a shot of the group rounding a curve...Awesome!!
Would you like something like I did last time? :)

http://homepage.mac.com/gbranche/Cal%20ROV%20Rally/Santa%20Rosa%20Creek%20Road/image-html/SRC_Road-2.html

&

http://homepage.mac.com/gbranche/Cal%20ROV%20Rally/Santa%20Rosa%20Creek%20Road/image-html/SRC_Road-3.html

(I would'a pasted the pictures in here directly, but they're a bit large, and I didn't want to ram them down everybody's throats...)

Quoteanyone got a Sony digicam, lol?
Is a JVC digicam satisfactory?  :D

If there's a phone line up there in the boonies, maybe I can even get the pictures uploaded Saturday evening. (No promises, though - we may be too busy reliving the experiences of the day! ;D )

Greg

Superfly

What time is everyone meeting up in the morning?  Lancaster (where I live) is about 150 miles from Johnsondale, so I am going to try to get my V there, But I will not be able to make the run.  I was able to get into my house last night and put her back together, and go on a test ride (after replacing the engine) I need to do a lot of work to her still, but I would like to meet up with you all in the morning.

Brian Moffet

QuoteFor the record (if anybody wants to join-up with Matt and I), we're planning on leaving San Jose around noon on Friday, and expect to take between 6 and 7 hours for the trip to Johnsondale.

Might just do that.  I'll let you know later this week.

Brian

supervision

Ron thanks for the email, I'll take you up on the spare room and leave my trailer at home. Without the trailer I'm sure those roads up the hill will workout good in the pickup. This is going to be a long week at work!!  Dave
" border="0

Walt_M.

7 'V's in one place! Sounds close to 'critical mass' to me. May not cause an explosion but make sure you don't get too many stators and R/Rs together, could be a heck of a fire!
Whale oil beef hooked!

glennw

7 V's in one spot....
I'm not sure, where we were on on last trip just had a good sized quake.
I glad we were there in May..
http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/
Half Mad Max

gbranche

Quotethis might cause a large explosion, knocking California into an island state you know...

Well, not an explosion, exactly, but still significant in the timing...

Strong Earthquake Strikes Central Calif.

Details here.

(What? Me, superstitious? Nah...)

Greg

Ron_McCoy

I hope this is not a pre-quake shock caused by the future
grouping of so many Visions. Oh well, we'll be able to ride it
out with our trusty steeds.
Superfly and Cougar Dave, I wouldn't expect us to get out and on the road too early. If you show up before 9:00 you'll be OK. Keep an eye out for us as you come through Kernville and up the river. If you miss us at first,hang out in the area, we'll be around. Flag us down.
We can't afford a stator incident. its been a dry year and the
fire danger level is high. ;D ;D

Cougar_Dave

I'll be driving over from Vegas that morning, so I'll get there later in the day, but I'll hang around the area until I find the group.  I know that's a great area to ride in, but I don't imagine there will be too many groups of Visions riding around.  

glennw

I know my cell phone will work up to and in Kernville, I doubt it will work in Johnsondale. Here is the number in case anybody needs help finding the group. 805-729-1950. I'll check the messages a couple of times a day via land line when it's out of range.
GlennW
Half Mad Max

h2olawyer

Another quake & closer -17 miles NW of Arvin.  Bet Ron got a good jolt this afternoon.   ;D  It closed at least one lane of hwy 178, 20 miles West of Lake Isabella.  Hopefully the road up from Caliente wasn't affected as well.  Guess I'll find out Friday.

Maybe we should call this event the Shake, Rattle & Roll Vision Rally!
H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Ron_McCoy

I didn't feel the one at Parkfield but the one yesterday happened just as I was going in my front door as I got home from work. The garage door banged and the hanging plant and ceiling fan chain started swaying in the house. This is the
typical earthquake experience. The epicenter was at Caliente,
about 20 miles from my house. I've checked with the CHP and
all roads in the area are open with no restrictions.

Shake, Rattle, and Roll Rally?  ;D ;D ;D

Superfly

Good news, I took the bike on a good trip this morning to L.A. and the bike ran good.  There are a bunch of little things I need to do to her, but I will try to be up at the meeting place around 9:00 am.

Rick G

How about a winter  run  to , say, the Colorado River near  Bull head?  There are several old mining towns  to see and the weather will  be just fine. As a plus we would be only 100 miles from Vegas !
Motel rates here in Kingman are  as low as 29.95 in the winter months and my shop would be available for any emergency repairs . We are only 50 miles from the river and the longest remaining stretch of hiway 66 runs right through here. Hey come on guys its lonely out here!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike