Continued problem of loosing cylinders

Started by bluegillspeed, October 23, 2006, 11:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluegillspeed

The rev limiter wire has been cut. She runs great until one cylinder failes, then the other one will fail after a about 15 or 20 minutes (discovered the second failure on the interstate at 3:00 trying to get home). The problem seems to be occurring whenever my battery is fully charged. If I take off with a good charge on the battery I can get about 40 or 50 miles before the problem occurs. If I drain the battery down to about 30 or 40% I can get between about 200 miles before the problem occurs. I'm starting to believe that something is happening when the charging systems finishes charging the battery. Any ideas on exactly what this might be? I'm thinking I might be able to test for this if I turn off the stator and force everything to run off the battery when the problem occurs. Any thoughts?
82 red with sport fairing

dminor

??? This problem is hard to troubleshoot. I had a similar problem with my Venture. It would start and warm up nornally. Then after about 15-20 minutes later, the TACH would jump up and down and then die. Along with the cylinder. If I let the bike cool down, it would start up and the TACH would work.
  I did all the checks on the pick-up coils, and they all read good. I had to run the bike until it was hot and check them hot. Sure enough one of them would die when it got hot. I changed the Pick-up coils and I've not had any more problems.
   The venture does have one advantage over the Vision as far as the TCI, if I could get the engine to 5k the TCI would fire all cylinders. Thats one hell of a ride, but it got my home a couple of times.
Hope you only have a loose connection, thats easier to fix.
Don

bluegillspeed

The problem I'm having doesn't appear to be related to any specific temperature, at least not to any specific reading on the temperature gauge. It happens witht the temp guage reading cold as it does while its reading hot.
82 red with sport fairing

Brian Moffet

Quote from: dminor on October 23, 2006, 04:31:02 PM
Sure enough one of them would die when it got hot. I changed the Pick-up coils and I've not had any more problems.

Hmm, thanks Don.  I didn't think of this as a possible problem on my bike until you mentioned it...  I'll have to put it on my list of potentials.

Brian

dminor

Ok,
  Did you check to see if any of the wires coming from the pick-up coils across to the TCI are touching the exaust pipe?
Don ;)

haunter

I had that same issue and it went away with the slicing of the sidestand switch............

stupid gremlins are annoying bastards
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

Lucky

and of course funky carbs will do shit like that...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

QBS

Clean all spark coil connections and eleminate the side stand relay.

kwells

I'm with Lucky...Sounds more like carbs to me...exactly what happened to me
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com