News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

larger Tires, or everybody still stock?

Started by DaWiseWun, October 19, 2004, 08:20:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaWiseWun

Has anybody put larger rubbers on their V?  I was wondering what would be the largest tire I can fit on my rear wheel.  I'm going to drop by my friendly neiborhood tire shop and see what they have to say.  Anybody have any comments?  I'm wanting to get more traction like some of the newer bikes I've ridden?

Thanks,
Josh
"Of course there's a lot of knowledge in universities; the freshmen bring a little in; the seniors don't take much away, so knowledge sort of accumulates.

louthepou

If I remember correctly, stock size is 110/90, and I've ridden a 120/90 before. I think that was pretty much the limit; anyone tried a 130?

I prefered the handling with the 110; the bike would lean in better approaching a corner. I would chose the tire size based on the behaviour of the bike, and tire model/price according to the "stickiness" I want. The actual model will have more impact on the "stickiness" than the size. But you'll never approach the "feeling" of newer bikes; the traction, feedback you get in newer bikes is the results of quite a number of factors, improved upon during the last two decades. Mind you, for a Vision lover, that's what makes the Vision so adorable, right? Also, even with the same size, one tire from one manufacturer will behave differently than another form a different manufacturer.

Another aspect to consider: the availability of the desired tire size. There are not a lot of manufacturer making tires that fit the Vision. Boy, I sure would like to try my XZ with some slicks during a Vintage Racing track weekend... Hmm, then again maybe not.

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

QBS

Have tried various combinations over the last 20 years of V ownership. Prefer stock sizes for light responsive handling. 120 on the back is a waste and 130 will fit in there but will rub at speed (think centrifugal force, Really).  Cheers.

Lou Ras

As my previous posting (with good advice) was deleted for no good reason, I don't know if I should waste my time trying to be part of this forum............
I'm using a 130 and next time I might even try a 140. Plenty of space both sides. The problem is the profile, as the tyre is only 1\4 inch away from the muffler.
Delete this and you can go f*ck yourselfs

Superfly

A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

louthepou

Hey, Lou Ras, thanks for the info about the 130 working out.

And since English is only my second language, could you explain what does "fick" or "fack" mean?

Just kidding. You know, I seriously doubt that whatever happened (probably computer- not human-related) was done with the intent of pissing you off.

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

fiddlesticks

We got stock on now. Actually only because the avon 100 for the front we ordered went back ordered and the 90 we could get same day.
Cheers
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"

Extent

I've got a 110 Avon in the back, based on recomendations in past threads here.  Apparently Avon's tires are a different profile and they don't recomend putting a 120 of their tire on the rear, but I'll probably try it the next time around just for kicks.  I'm defenatly happy with the 110 tho.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Rick G

Easy Lou, it happens to me every now and then , usually when I type out 3 or 4 paragraphs with two fingers . its some sort of glitch in the soft ware.
As to tyres , the 110 handles best the rim won't mount a 120 PROPERLY acording to Avon. I've tried both and don't care for the 120 at all.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

DaWiseWun

Seems like the general consensis is to stay stock,  Thanks for the comments,

Josh
"Of course there's a lot of knowledge in universities; the freshmen bring a little in; the seniors don't take much away, so knowledge sort of accumulates.

Lou Ras

I apologise. Bad day. The only problem with a wider tyre is getting it past the axle, stableliser arm etc. Measured the gaps yesterday - 2cm each side on 130. IOW 4cm in total which means even a 150 will fit with ease. Sorry again.  

DaWiseWun

Hmm, I wonder where I would find a 150 on my budget?  :)

JF

Blake

Lou,

the problem with higher than 120 size tires isnt that they wont fit sizewise, but they arent designed to be put on such a small rim.  by putting a big tire on a rim, your not getting the perfect seal on the bead that you need to be 100% sure it wont come off on hard cornering...

I'm using 100/120 avons and love the combination, nice and quick and responsive.  ive heard of one person using 130's..but becides that, i wouldnt even want to risk it.  plus.. by squeezing a bigger tire on a smaller rim, you really alter the handling by altering the ideal shap of the tire (have to cram a "longer" tire (legnth from side to side around the outside of tire) into the same space)

Our rear rim came with a 110 size tire..  

after looking at a couple different sites... the general concensus is this for rim size / tire size
tire size          rim size needed
120   =  2.75
130  =  3.00
140 = 3.50
150 = 3.50

but also, you have to realize, that the tire widths arent exactly the theoretical numbers. i know from looking at bigger cruiser tires, widths can vary by up to a half inch from manufacturer to manufactur..and most are slightly bigger. plus you need to account for growth of the tire (heating up, roational forces trying to pull the tire away from the axle).

just my personal opinion. at most i would risk 130, past that, it seems your just asking for trouble.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."