Yamaha 550 Drag Bike??

Started by ChopperGuy, October 13, 2004, 04:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChopperGuy

I was thinking of making my bike into a drag bike and racing it, if so would straight egsaust work if i had a friend weld me some...? because i can not afford new egsaust...

Humber

I would like to have a chopper but I cannot afford one, I was thinking of making my bike into it, if so would straight Vision work for me if my friend welded it here and there a bit? because I cannot afoord a new chopper...  ;)
nie ma podpis?w

GA_Wolf

Chopperguy....you'd be better off with a set of mac pipes...or at least the 2 into one pipes they use on the front and rear. ?Look at my red bike in the sanity check post....kind of going for the drag/show bike look. ?That's why if you look close I have the front pegs gon, the rear brake located to the rear peg. ?Also you'd have to extend the swingarm, as in the pic. ?which would require getting a longer shaft machined and the swingarm and shaft tube lengthened. ?Also have the top of the swingarm's angle brace changed so it still hits the final drive and same spot on swing's right side.

I also plan on having the top tubes of the fork shortened by 2 inches and the spring shortened.

With the the rear lengthened, 2 - 7lb NOS bottles should snug up nicely under the rear frame.

It all comes down to cash and desire and imagination.

Humber...yep you can too...just get your friend to either rake your steering head or replace the stock steering head with one that would accept oh say a springer fork!

Again, cash, money and desire...only your imagination will limit you!

Extent

Any idea how much power and abuse the shaft could take before breaking?  I know the racing vision in the galleries was converted to a chaindrive, but was that more to free up power or because the shaft couldn't take the abuse?
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Humber

yeah sure, although I sold my VIsion, I will stay the VIsion purist, let it be as she is, keep her in the original shape.... sorry... I am totally drunk.... teacher;s day here;)))
nie ma podpis?w

admin

Rick G

The shaft is far stronger than the chain. Racers are converted  to chain for ease of gearing changes. The Buell race bikes are chain no belt.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike