used engines

Started by Rick G, October 10, 2004, 08:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

Used  engines need to be evauated before purchase or installation, if you already own one.
Remove the left cover (stator cover)  and put a large crescent wrench on the flats of the center hub of the flywheel. Rotate the engine 720 degrees (around twice ) if it rotates freely ALL THE WAY AROUND, its ok . A problem occures in engines stored out doors, or in under poor shelter for long periods , which is rusting of one or both bores. (even if  it turns freely theres no guarente that the compression will be good)
Usually it will the bore on which the intake valves are open , allowing condensation or water to migrate in the the cylinder.
These engines are salvagable, IF you can come up with a second engine with a rusty bore and  have the skills to switch one of the cylinders.  For you new comers , rings and pistons for Visions are not availble in NA. (Humber got a set out of  the Nederlands).  I found a very nice set of  cylinders ,with rings and pistons  on eBAy and plan on going through a motor  for my own use soon. This is a second option . I'm not in the least concerned about using used componants, as these are low milage  and in very nice condition. They will need to have the glaze broken with a fine hone or ball hone before use however.

I have a stuck moter that I'm going to change the cylinder on as well and have a second spare motor. You see, they are going to have to pry my cold dead hands, from the throttle. I enjoy riding this bike and  I'm not going to let it die brfore I do!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

louthepou

Hey Rick,

Boy, talk about Vision Devotion. I bow before you.

In related news... There's been a lot of talk lately on this forum about rebuilding an engine vs swapping the whole thing. Anyone knows about the availability of gasket kits, either with aftermarket companies or Yamaha original equipment? If so, care to share knowledge? I bet ROV folks contemplating potential rebuilding projects wouldn't mind reading about this. Just a thought.

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Rick G

A complete set was available from Dennis Kirk  (last time I checked) for  around 140.00 , I believe  YIC  still supplies gaskets too , at a "somewhat" higher price.  All I really need  is the head gaskets  as I have a set of gasket punches and usually make my own . When I need a gasket I need it now, if I needed it in two weeks I buy it in tow weeks !  LOL  :D
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

sdinino

Just a data point to consider: I've had bad luck with the Vesrah head gaskets. They lacked the silicone bead around the perimeter, which caused a coolant leak in both cylinders. Re-doing the head gasket job with Yamaha gaskets fixed my problem.
-- Steve D

Rick G

Thanks Steve,  good to know! If no other gasket was available  I would put  a bead of high temp red silicone around the openings in the gasket  for the  water galleries and smooth it out  and let it dry before installation.
I'm going to try to get down to LA this winter , maybe we can get together!  
Rick G