News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Air Filters

Started by Glyn Pickering, January 25, 2004, 10:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glyn Pickering

Just started to strip down my XZ - (after finding a brand new manual at the local s/h book shop for $25) and are starting to uncover the last owners "modifications". The bike has been running without an air filter, don't know for how long. Has this
ever been recommended as a performance mod? I doubt it - but thought that perhaps a foam washable filter could be made up rather that the paper one I've seen in the manual.
Has anyone ever done this? or is there perhaps a K&N washable version available. Apologies if this  (or any) of my subjects have been covered earlier - but I'm new owner of this interesting machine. The frame looks great with the tank off - heaps of support around the steering head - did Ducati copy off the Vision??

regards
Glyn

rick_nowak

ducati's extensive support of the steering head goes back to the early 70's with the advent of the 750 bevel drive V twins.  this bike was one of the few available, along with a good RD Yamaha, in that era which would ,on a bumpy road, heeled over pretty heavily, would still track where you were aiming it.  this sort oh head support goes way further back than that of course, to the "featherbead" Nortons, starting in the 50's and i suppose earlier than that.
Yamaha seems, of the japanese manufacturers, to be able more easily to produce a good handling bike.
i suspect that you are getting confused with the "trellis" frame Ducatis which are an outgrowth of the later types of V Twins which use the toothed belt drive cam drive (invented by another Italian company,FIAT)(btw. FIAT may still get some royalty from each engine built in the world using this technology.  perhaps the patent has expired by now-its been 30 some years)
enjoy your day

h2olawyer

The air filter delete is NOT a good performance option!  K&N does not make a  filter that works with the Vision without extensive airbox modifications.  The airbox with the vacuum operated door is required to get proper air flow at lower RPM.  Unifilter makes a washable foam filter for the Vision and I think the OEM style is still available through Yamaha.  Custom fabricating a foam filter would be a suitable option and I'm sure someone here has done at least one of those.

Hope this helps!

Rob
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

RobTx

This is my homemade air filter.  I've run it for a year with no problems. http://robmay.com/airfilter.htm
Rob

Glyn Pickering

Thanks for that advice. the Fram filter mod sounds like a good cost effective idea. Will try this first. Excellent pictures.

Regards

Glyn

GAJim

The Yamaha one is still availbale got one this year.  but i do like the conversion shown and gret step by step pictures.  I would have went this route if I had seen something like this before.

Rupert

If you can get a hold of the original filter or the like, just rip out the old paper and replace with the K&N filter foam stuff.
I (ados) F2'd the foam to the top and base of the older metal can.

The thin metal grill that runs aroun the filter helps to hold the foam in place.

Has been running fine for over a year, I just use filter fix to capture any incoming dust.

Rupert.
Ah, there's that bolt for the bike from last month's tinkering.
Now where could it go?

Walt_M.

That air filter conversion looks great! I've already bought a stock replacement but I think I'll try the mod. I won't complain if it runs even better.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

QuoteThis is my homemade air filter. ?I've run it for a year with no problems. http://robmay.com/airfilter.htm
Rob
This will show one way to do a home made air filter. Looks pretty good to me.
Whale oil beef hooked!

jasonm.

Rob, It seems to hold your filter in place ...it is going to be crushed. Because the original is held in place with the top cover putting pressure on the filter assembly.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

RobTx

Jason, the filter does hit the airbox top, it is crushed about 1/16", with the way the filter is pleated it will flow plenty of air.  I have had no problem with it in the year it's been on.  The bike has great acceleration and will pull past redline easily if you don't shift.  I really don't think it's a problem.  For what it's worth, I'm always looking for a less expensive way of doing things.  This is just something I came up with that may be an option for some people.  For $5 or $6 it's cheap experiment.

Rick G

To get it running properly your going to need a  air box top with a flapper door thats vacuum  operated . I have a spare, but you will be better off if you can find one locally.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Per

Hi!
I'm planning to do the air filter mod made by RobTx. But I can't find the Fram 3903 filter anyway in Sweden. Does anyone know what car, modell and year it originally was made for.
/Per ???

ChopperGuy

Go too the gallery and look for the restored yellow bike, it is very nice, there is a pic of jus the frame with the motor and filters, he or she used 2 k@N filters, is this not suitable??

ChopperGuy

OOps sorry there not K&n but id like too kno wat they are

Blake

they're probably emo filters..  i put a set on my xs650... not near as freeflowing as k&n's... same pod idea though..  they're relatively cheap (10 bucks each) compared to the k&n's i bought for mine (40 a pop)..

I just actually put my k&n's on a few days ago and rejetted some (changed main air and main, didnt touch the pilots because they're already maxed out)..anyway..i havent had a time to run it since then and see what the afr is on them since its been raining here in blacksburg recently, but im hoping it wont be a complete failure..

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Josh M

I put a set of K&N pod filters on my vision over the summer.  OH MY GOD was it loud!!!!  The sound from the intake completely drowned out the sound of the exhaust.  The bike ran extremely lean, but with some jetting(which I didn't do, I put the stock air box back on) I'm sure there would have been a good power increase.  
shiny shiny....

Lead_Deficiency

Does anyone know the part # for an 82 filter after the air box mod. My local yamy dealer only has the original fiche and can't find any other part #. Is the air fliter for the 83 the same as the 82 with the mod?

Lucky

part # 28V-14450-00-00
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black