News:

Main Menu

Why Will I Like My Vision?

Started by PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ, January 10, 2007, 12:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glyn

I've put so much time and energy into my bike it actually becomes part of you.
To sell it or to loose it, even drop it would be catastrophic. It's like a good wine that improves with age. You can tinker about with it, change it, make it yours without reducing the value or re sale (since at least in New Zealand nobody wants them). Well no accounting for taste. At least we all know a good bike when we see one. You just have to look very closely.

Sometimes the things in life that are not perfect, infact are more imperfect than perfect are more attractive than perfection.

reckon

I'll chime in here, even though I've only owned my V for about a month now.

in my post "when did you first get hooked" I explained that I saw one way back in the mid eighties, and was very impressed, now that I have one (and after a bit of work it rides quite nice now) I am even more impressed.

the rest of the world drives around in computer controlled little boxes that all look the same from a football field away,......I drive a 1967 ford mustang: it squeaks alot, the windshield leaks, it's got a ding on every corner, and occaisionally you have to tinker with it,  but it's a great car, it drives well, handles sweet,  is fast enough to get me into trouble quick, and  people always comment on it. I just love that car, and couldn't sell it because it really is a part of the family.  I have owned many, many cars, and only a couple made it into the family.

the rest of the world rides around on computer controlled bikes that all sound the same, and all look the same from HALF a football field away.
I have owned about 25 or so bikes over the years, and ridden, and worked on too many too count, and I can honestly say, that this is the first bike that made it into the family after only 3 weeks, and like the cars, there have only been a couple.

I personally think the bikes look sweet, I get comments on it everytime I take it out, and it's got two personalities, mild mannered touring bike, and a torquey high revving canyon carver, that'll flat out accelerate most mid size bikes you come across. and like the mustang, it's got some personality,  some wear and tear, and can be a little cantankerous a times. I already love this bike.

I still say I waited too long to get the V, but I'm making up for lost time with a smile on my face.
"if it's stupid but it works, it's no longer stupid"

Paul_Jungnitsch

I liked the way mine looked with the shark, and liked the way the V-twin would 'thump' as well as rev out. As well in the 18 years and 75,000 km I owned it it gave little trouble despite me running it into the back of a car and dropping it more times than I can remember.

RIP old girl

PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ

Hey, guys, keep your responses and reactions coming.  Maybe we all rationalize about the Vision a little bit.  So what?  I have four vintage bikes: a much-modified 1980 XS650, a restored but stock 1980 GS550, a soon to be restored 1975 CB400F, and this 1982 Vision.  My favorite bike is the XS650.  Why?  So much character, it's a blast to ride, and it has a sort of f*ck y'all attitude.  The GS550 is also fun once you put good tires on it, but a little bland in its perfection.  The CB400F is going to be a unique, little red rocket.  And I expect I'm going to enjoy the Vision.  It's out-there, ahead of its time engineering always grabbed me. I happen to think, with its parallelogram outline, it's a pretty good-looking bike too.

Aelwulf

Mine was entirely economics, ie I got it for $100 running.  I messed with it a couple times a week for about a month then tore it down a little (as I'm not what one would call an expereinced mechanic type) and did some small work on it.  Time and money, as it tends to do, put it on back-burner.  Now it's back at the forefront to become my daily driver with gas prices.  It was rather fun & peppy to ride when I did so (and easy to learn, considering I'd never ridden a motorcycle before) and I'm looking forward to having it repaired, working, registered and legal to go runnin' around town on.

Now if I can just get my bike guy to dunk the carbs for me as well for the first time... :D

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

dcsob

Why like a Vision. I'll keep it short and sweet.
Second gear roll on in a  25mph decreasing radius turn. Dragging footpegs and boot tip the whole way, and on the way out of the curve, that vision howl.
You all know what I am talking about, don't you?
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter accusations'

PeteXS/GS/CB/XZ

This '82 Vision is almost ready to ride.  It's painted and assembled.  The wiring harness is mostly in place.  All connectors cleaned and packed with dielectric grease.  The carbs have been cleaned and rebuilt.  New Lasertecs, fork springs, and monoshock.  All new fluids.  New fasteners, with stainless where possible.  Only the footpegs have to be repainted.  (The painter lost them.)  A helpful dealer found an NOS instrument case.  I just hope the starter is okay.  Then I'll fire the Stealth Vision up and send pics.  It's burgundy on a silver frame. 

jasonm.

I suspect Night Vision saw 12,000 in 5th(136mph) in a dream he had the other night or his tach or clutch is worn out. I like the low end and top end power ;D. Considering I had bought in '82 a new Suzi GS650G(shafty). My '83 Vision has the same power(55rwhp) and ~ 60# less weight.  Yes, My '83 V did dino a few year back @55hp ;D.   I have done all the possible handling upgrades. The handling of a Vision is good for what it is, an early 80's bike.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

supervision

these bikes are intrigueing, they are anything but ordinary, they challange your pateints
" border="0