News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

XZ 400

Started by alby, October 10, 2004, 10:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alby

Hi everybody. I have an xz400 and would be interested to know if anyone else has one of these, or if anyone can tell me what is the difference in the engines between the 400 and 550.

Regards
Alby

silicon_toad2000

sorry I can't help you with the differences, I just wanted to say welcome aboard and that Its good to see another aussie.
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

Superfly

Post a picture, So we can see it.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Rick G

We have had  a few 400 owners on the forum over the years.
A few of the  differances are; differant crank, pistons and  no fuel pump. I have a nice Japanese colour brochure of th 400 and all the differances appear to be internal.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Glyn Pickering

Interesting to hear that the XZ 400 had no fuel pump.
Wonder if I could get away without a fuel pump on my weber carb conversion? Surely the float bowl can be supplied with enough fuel by gravity? or is a pump really necc for good flow?
By the look of it, being driven by vacumn pulses the Mikuni pump could be used as a stand alone on a different carb?
Does anyone see why this would not work?

Regards
Glyn

Lucky

the 400's ?we've had on the Forum have been from Australia & Africa. I suspect if if we had visitors from Japan and the other Asian countries, we'd have a lot more. ?it's probably a language barrier thing...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Humber

so they would just create their own forum, at leat we would know that they do exist, in their language but exist.... at the moment I don't think there are too many of them...
nie ma podpis?w

Walt_M.

I thought the fuel pump was there to pump the fuel to the carbs when the fuel level in the tank got lower than the carb float bowls. Are the 400 cylinders and carbs enough lower than the 550 that this is not necessary? I just now looked at the photo of the 400, I saved a link to a Japanese brochure, and the carbs are not visible, same as the 550.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rick G

The cylinders are in deed shorter , enough so the there is always enough head pressure for gravity to supply sufficient fuel.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike