Virago 535 carbs?

Started by Glyn, January 20, 2007, 06:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glyn

Coil - great to see you're moving along with the carb project. Did you ever consider 535 Virago carbs? They are twin downdraft CV carbs. The specs look very close to the Visions on paper, although they seem very hard to source on E Bay. I'bm rigging up an AFR meter to my Vision to get my Weber jetting better. I think annother  type of  bike carb(s) are prob the way to go however, esp with the revvy nature of the Vision. I've bought a set of Honda VT800C carbs from E bay for a play with. Will see how they fit  (or not) to my spares bike. Also semi downdraft.

My Kiwi 2c.

jefferson

Another set to consider is the Vmax carbs. A friend of mine put a set on his Vision and got it going, but it was never quite right and he put the stockers back on. I gave him a set of max carbs that had a dynojet kit in them and thought between the different jets etc. that he might be able to get them jetted better. Giving the max carbs another go is something he mentions every now and then so eventually I think he will get them sorted.

Jeff

Coil Coyle

Glyn and Jeff,

I aquired all of the VMax intake stuff and plan to do the complete VBoost/Ignition on one of the East Bay corrosion bikes as a "Bobber" style Vision.
        This last Spring I rode the "Flying Pig" with a couple of neighbors, one on a Honda 1100 V4 and one on a VMax, around Sonoma County including Hwy. 1 up the Coast. The VMax owner said the VBoost was a thrill for sure, but it was uncontrollable exiting a turn. When you hit 6000RPM, its just like a "turbo with no lag".
        At Kingman, Don Minor had a similar opinion about the abrupt spike in power being hard to control on the Venture that he installed VBoost on.
        Perhaps an open connecting tube or an earlier opening on the Boost valve would make the transition less radical. Anyway. I see the VBoost as a novelty street rod modification.
        My goal with the R1 conversion is a ridable increase in power and mileage. I'm going to try mototunes small ports with the R1 carbs
on my rod knocking RK.
        Glyn, did you keep seperate intakes with your Weber manifold? My copy of your sketch is down in Guerneville on my home PC.
        As far as the other carbs I'm all for the attempt. If anybody needs small parts turned for a carburetor trial I'm willing to help out. Our new shop has a lathe and a Bridgeport mill so I can work from a sketch or text description of the part you need, you pay the mail.

$0.02
;)
Coil

Glyn

Hi Coil

I made up separate manifolds which met (welded to) to a central plate, with two large holes cut in for the Weber throats. It was / is all pretty basic since I only have a 1950's lathe and an arc welder to work with. Took me b----dy ages to fashion the manifolds/plates since it was all hand drilled/turned/filed.
All out on mild steel (not ideal).
The carb is not 100%, I'd say 80% at the moment. I've just in the last few mins bought an AFR meter from the internet and am fashioning a bung to go up the exhaust pipe, onto which a Bosch heated sensor will be fitted. It seems to be the only way to really see what the mixture is doing. An advantage (also disadvantage) of the Weber is that there are so many jetting/emulsion tube combinations to try out. I'll see what the AFR readings give, on the bench and out on the road and work from there. I think it's really lean way down since pops and backfires (esp when cold) at low revs. When warmed up much better, and fine from 1/2 to full throttle with no discernable lag. It's just been guesswork so far however. I think they may have stuck IDF's on Harley's but not much else, so not much advice around.  Will let you know how I go.
Still really like the look of those 535 carbs, could have been made for the Vision, but they are like rocking horse...to find.

smknjoe1964

Has any one tried a set of xv 500 carbs ? They look real close to ours ! There is a set of xv 500 virago carbs up on ebay right now and as of this post they only have 8 hrs left and bid is at 20.00 so far .

Glyn

Yeh some E bayers seem to call them XV500, or Virago, or Yam 535 carbs. They are all the same carbs (I think). Neat pair of CV downdrafts. I looked up the jetting in a manual the other day in the Library. Was the one just called Yamaha Virago's, think it was Clymer. At the rear it has a special section on the 535 carbs. The jetting is very close to the XZ carbs.  I reckon they would work straight away without a re - jet! They are pretty hard to get hold of. Maybe some Yammie agents over there may have some olds "new" stock?

bmeyer6472

I think it's really lean way down since pops and backfires (esp when cold) at low revs. When warmed up much better, and fine from 1/2 to full throttle with no discernable lag.

[/quote]

Try going up a size or two on the idle jets - at low and part throttle the idle jets are what supply the mix. Your emulsion tubes are probably OK if you're not noticing any stumble while on the main circuit.

Lucky

Quote from: Glyn on January 22, 2007, 06:03:49 AM
I think they may have stuck IDF's on Harley's but not much else, so not much advice around. 

Are you implying that Harley riders haven't a clue how to maintain their vehicles & unless it's bolt-on chrome, have all their service done at the dealer?? 

naw, can't be true, these are big burley men with lots of hair & leather (on the weekends anyway...)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

supervision

Awhile back I came across this product called  Dial-A-Jet. It's a very simple thing they are doing, wouldn't be very hard to make our own version of this devise,  here's the web site  thunderproducts.com   check it out, you'll like the idea.  Dave
" border="0

QBS

Read some of their stuff.  Got a problem.  One of the benefits they tout is the removal of water and alchohal that they claim can settle out of gasoline and collect in the bottom of the float bowl.  Alchohal mixes with gasoline and never settles out.  Futhermore, isoprople alchohal actualy enables gasoline to absorb water.  It is the main ingredient in many gasoline dewatering products (highly recommeded to remove water from V gas tanks so as to prevent tank rust through).