News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

carb cleaning

Started by reckon, February 11, 2007, 10:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reckon

I yanked the carbs yesterday, they come out nice and easy (try getting the carbs off on a virago, or an SV suzuki) and once the float bowls were off, I could see why she's bucking and surging at 1/4 or less throttle, it was pretty cruddy in there and one of the accel pump nozzles just sprays all over the butterfly valve.
the shots are pretty even, and the rear one made a nice cone, the front will need some cleaning and to be re-aimed. other than that they seemed in good order, save a couple of worn out hoses

I cleaned it out with compressed air and carb cleaner as best as I could with just the cover off.

I have a new fuel filter, and new hoses where it needed, and I used the liquid tape on the boots (ugly, but worked great!) and I cut new gaskets. I cleaned the nozzles with compressed air, from both ends and they seem clear now.  I read the how to's here and at XZ550.com and really don't want to dip the things, as that will require dissasembly and re-tuning once it's back together.  it ran pretty well, just bucked at low throttle inputs, and I was hoping a quick clean of the carb, tank, and lines, and installing a filter would do the trick.

I know there are probably a couple of things I should pay attention to, but not knowing these carbs, or having my cd manual yet, I'd ask any of you to chime in with any warnings or special areas really needing more attention?

"if it's stupid but it works, it's no longer stupid"

Coil Coyle

Reckon,
            The accelerator pump push rod has a small nut holding it onto the diaphram, do no loosen it until you have heated the nut with a soldering iron until you smell a loctite smell

If you allready broke the stud, we have a repair worked out.
$0.02
;)
Coil

Night Vision

coil; I think he has "an 82 w/12k miles"
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Coil Coyle

NV,
     When he writes about the accelerator pump, is he talking about his pickup truck?
;D

An 82 in the crate didn't have accelerator pumps, but a lot of 'em do now.

;)
Coil

reckon

Quote from: coilXZcoyle on February 11, 2007, 11:59:57 AM
NV,
     When he writes about the accelerator pump, is he talking about his pickup truck?
;D

An 82 in the crate didn't have accelerator pumps, but a lot of 'em do now.

;)
Coil

yes it's an 82, with 12.5K on it, so pretty new inside once you get past the outer layer of wear, cracking, and light corrosion.
I must have a late 82, or one that was modified, because it has the vacuum flapper.

I have never seen carbs like this on a v twin,.....every other one I have worked on was a CV carb, this looks like a weber or delorto downdraft like on a VW bug,.......anyway, I did not remove the accel pump nut, but thanks for that tip, I'll remember that, any ways I really don't want to tear em down completely because as I said, it seems well adjusted save the bucking at 1/4 throttle. 

it's not that hard to yank the carbs, I'll try a good clean up, with only minor disassembly and re-install with the filter and the tank cleaned out, and see if that did the trick. if not I'll take em out again and have them sonic cleaned

MotorPlow

h2olawyer

Sea Foam is excellent for keeping carbs clean.  I normally pour a little in about every third or fourth tank of fuel.  Also helps the gas absorb any moisture that may condense in the tank.  Good product.  Still, nothing works as well as getting the carbs thoroughly clean to start with.  I had to dip mine twice before I eliminated the stumble.  Also took a long time to get both mixture & synch set just right.

Make sure your jets are in the right spots.  Very common to see them mixed up.  For smoother operation, many have found that 135s for the pilot air jets makes a noticeable improvement.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

bikehandle

I don't think there is such a thing as a quick clean up of 82 carb's. It's a lot like getting your wife just a little bit pregnant! you go the whole way or not at all.
Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!!
god, save me from my fondest wish!

reckon

Quote from: bikehandle on February 11, 2007, 05:26:52 PM
I don't think there is such a thing as a quick clean up of 82 carb's. It's a lot like getting your wife just a little bit pregnant! you go the whole way or not at all.
Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!!

well it did for me,........this is a different bike,..it just PURRS

I think getting the crap out of the bowls, adjusting the pump nozzle, and sealing the leaky boots all in combination is what made the difference.

this is still with the YICS plugged up

anyway now that I can ride it without getting whiplash :D

we can proceed to the next steps

thanks to all that posted,.....I appreciate it.

Coil Coyle

Reckon,
          Your bike has the 83 carbs. The return line to the 83 petcock is blocked off some way with your 82 gas tank. The 83 petcock has a "to" and a "from" gas hose from the tank to the carbs and your carbs will have the same two connections into the float valve, one supply, one return. Your return is blocked somehow.

I agree on the fuel pump disassembly, if the port from the well is clean and the pump pumps, just clean the stuff the 82's have and aim  the spray nozzles. Why handle the diaphram if you're not replacing it?

$0.02
:)
Coil