83 carb low speed mixture screws

Started by supervision, February 12, 2007, 08:10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supervision

I have been taking apart a set of carbs, they sure went to a lot of trouble on the way they control the low speed needle screw!  My guess is that that they wanted the needle to come into the carb at that steep angle, and then they couldn't find a way to fit the adjusters in that direction. 
" border="0

Coil Coyle

SV,
     Isn't that related to the spring loaded vacuum thingy that people call the mixture screw? My guess is the goal was to bypass pure air to the low speed under high vacuum, no emissions when the throttle is slammed shut. But I'm guessing. :P

;)
Coil

Walt_M.

And, due to EPA emission regulations they did not want anyone to monk around with the factory settings! By the way, my '83 carb settings are pretty much stock except for the accelerator pump which gets a little more stroke. And it runs/ran great. Can't blame my recent misfire on carb adjustment.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

Quote from: Walt_M. on February 12, 2007, 08:03:09 PM
Can't blame my recent misfire on carb adjustment.

don't be so sure, lol...i'm pretty sure my high blood pressure, burnt french toast & the blown out lightbulb in my desk lamp are the result of a set of dirty carbs that I THOUGHT were clean....

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Walt_M.

What I said was 'adjustment'. I'm pretty sure they need a good cleaning, and you know how much I love to clean carbs!
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

oops, my mistake  8)
try a can or two of Berrymans or Seafoam before you tear into it again, they are great 'preventative maintenance' stuff...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black