News:

Main Menu

New Visioneer.

Started by Tiffanator, February 21, 2007, 11:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiffanator

Hi all... just joined the group of Vision owners.  My cousin has had an old motorcycle sitting in the parking lot where we work for several months, I didn't know what it was and really had no desire to find out since I like dirt bikes, not street bikes.  However lately I've acquired the itch to fix something up, and after looking at boats, trucks, and cars decided they were all much too big of a task for a first timer, I went for the bike.  He was going to fix it up himself but with work, school, a wife and child he has no time for it.  He gave it to me for free with the stipulation that he will be allowed to ride it once its back in working order.  That won't be a problem since I've only ridden a motorcycle once in my life, but have always had a fascination with them.  The bike is a 1982 Yamaha Vision, and I'm researching to find out everything I can about the bike before I start the rebuild.  I must say that even though street bikes aren't my thing, I'm beginning to fall in love with this beast. The bike isn't even at my house yet, as I just asking him about it yesterday.  I plan to get it in the garage (out of the rain its been sitting in for at least 4 months) and do some preliminary inspections tonight.
I've never torn apart anything completely, but have done repairs to PWC and ATV engines and am a fast learner and follow instructions very well.  I plan to get the full service manual and go from there, being very meticulous about doing the research and going into this somewhat informed, which led me to this awesome site and XZ550.com.
A little about the bike: I'm assuming the paint is original and is in decent condition from far away, it is a blue color, and I have yet to see another one in this color.  I'm considering repainting the bike a bright yellow color, but will stray away from that if this color is rare.  The gas tank has a fair sized dent in the top that I need to figure out how to remove, and I'm sure having sat in the weather it is quite rusted inside.  It has no fairing kit, I'm not sure if I will get one or not, I'm trying to keep my spending to a minimum on this bike, since I don't know if I'll even be riding it.  I do however want to do a very meticulous restore job on it.  I was told it has a "new" wiring harness that was taking from a junked out bike, so that should be in good shape... but that there is some problem where the bike does not sense that it is in neutral and will not start.  It has not been run since my cousin got the bike 2.5 years ago.
I want to say that I have come across some amazing resources and this site is one of them. From what I have read the people visiting this forum are extremely knowledgable about the bikes and care about them, that is just what I'm looking for.  It seems several people have restored these old bikes, and I'm sure I'll be drawing on their experience quite often as all of this is new to me and I want to do it right.
A few questions... 1. Should I attempt to get the bike to run first before I start tearing it down to rebuild and clean it?  I don't want to go through the work to tear the bike down, clean paint and rebuild everything just to find out that it won't run due to some expensive part being broken.  2. I know I will need a carb rebuild kit and probably most of the gaskets/hoses as I'm assuming most everything rubber will be dry rotted from sitting in the weather for so long.  Is there a good resource for these parts or should I check Ebay for them? I want to do this right, but don't want to spend a huge amount. 3. I have read the carbs on the '82 are quite finicky and will vapor lock, and that the problem was fixed on the '83. Is this true? Would it be possible to put an '83 on the '82 engine? 4. Any ideas on getting the dent out of the gas tank?
I apologize if these are stupid questions and I'm sure my ignorance is showing, however I want to learn and get this bike running and beautiful again.  As I said I haven't given the bike much more than a quick glance after work, so I'm sure the questions will be pouring in once I get it home. 
I'm sorry this post is so long, there are just so many thoughts going through my head right now. I can't wait to get the bike home and get started, but know I need to learn as much as I can.  I plan to tear the bike down and clean, polish, repaint and rebuild everything I can.  I know to be extremely detailed when taking everything apart, all parts will be photographed before they come off the bike, labeled and stored together with the bolts that go with it.  I'll get some pics as soon as I get her home.
Thanks all,
Tiffany
Hattiesburg, Mississippi.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

Coil Coyle

Tiffany, Welcome to Riders of Vision 8)

The neutral and the oil pressure switches are on the engine bottom near the place where the shift linkage goes into the transmission. The two wire plug to these must be connected. There are relays behind the engine that must be plugged in.

Get Lucky's CD manual and while you wai8t start studying "POR tank" without quotes in the search. You want that tank clean early in you project, paint last.

$0.02
;)
Coil

Brian Moffet

If you can, do a compression test using the starter.  Put some oil in to take care of lubrication problems, turn it over a couple of times.  Let it sit for a couple of hours and then do a compression test.  If your compressions are roughly equal, and above 100 or so, you're probably fine on that side of things.  The carbs can be rebuilt, there is a great kit on ebay for these bikes. 

As far as complete restoration before getting it running or after, I chose to tear mine down and do a "minor" restoration on it before getting it running again when it died last March.  I'm still happy with that decision.

Brian

h2olawyer

Welcome, Tiffanator!

The 82 Vision was originally available in three colors in the US.  Black, Brilliant Red & (the fastest  ;D ) Star Silver.  Go ahead and repaint it yellow.  Visibility on the street is a good thing.

You can make the 82 carbs work well - it takes time & effort, but it is possible.  83 carbs are extremely difficult to find.  The 83 Vision is a much rarer bike and had several significant fixes / upgrades from the 82.  Don't worry, though - the 82 is still a very fine bike.

Checking the condition of the engine as suggested by coil & Vision Rising before you do the restoration is a good idea.  I'd probably want to get it to run - even roughly - before tearing it down, but that's really not necessary.

I'm about to restore an 83 tank for my bike.  It has a dent on one side.  I'm still not sure which method I'll use to remove the dent, but I'll be posting my decision & progress.  Need to wait for a little warmer weather before I get started on that project, though.

Good luck with your new toy & welcome to the family!

H2O

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiffanator

Hi everyone... thanks so much for the warm welcomes and tips.  Most people I tell about this project tell me to run away fast... than I'll never get out of a motorcycle what I put in.  I guess they don't know the price of pride and pleasure.  If I get this baby looking good and running again and learn to ride it that will be all I need. I plan to save as many of the parts as possible, just clean them up.
Coil... I plan on ordering that manual very soon, and will be continuing research until it arrives.  Thanks for the suggestion with the tank, I'm sure it will need a lot of help. I'll also check on those switches, they may have missed those when they put in the new harness.
Vision Rising... I read over your entire process this morning and it has inspired me greatly.  Your bike looks amazing and your pictures and descriptions have helped me get an idea of what I'm in for.
H2O... thanks so much, I guess the bike was repainted at some point in its life.  Yellow it is.  I saw another bike on here painted yellow and man it looks sharp.  I have a yellow boat and used to have a yellow truck, so I'm fond of the color.  I will see if I can get the bike to run, even if roughly to make sure it will be worth it.  I will follow your progress on the tank. I love living in the south.. its in the upper 60s today, very nice.
Thanks again everyone, I'm excited and can't wait to get started on this.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

YellowJacket!

Welcome too to the SoROV or Southern Riders of Vision!  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

YellowJacket!

Heh Heh.  Just read that you like YELLOW!

There it is for ya!
                |
                |
                |
                |
               \/                  David

Tiger

8) A new female member to "The Family"...SUPERB...Hello and welcome from a Canadian brother to a southern bell sister ;D ;D :D :D :D... ;)
Most of us started with a rough diamond or two...infact, I'm picking up my third "V", an '83, this Saturday...Hooked, sure am ;D :D :D but the doctor's say its cureable ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D
It will be hard to get the "V" running with-out doing a few thing's first, so...
A couple of "DO's for you...
:) Remove the gas tank and give it a GOOD clean out.
:) The carb's will need to be stripped and cleaned... thoroughly
:) Buy an in-line gas filter and gas line prior to re-installation of the tank and carb's, could save you re-cleaning the carb's :o... ;) Available at all good bike shop's in your area.
:) You will need a good, fully charged battery to get her to fire.
:) A gallon of fresh gas... ::)

Re:The dent in your tank...A good gas tank repair shop should be able to "pull" the dent out for a reasonable cost. They will spot weld a stud in the centre of the dent and using a slide hammer pull it out. Any imperfection(s) can be filled prior to repainting... ;)

Once your carb's have been rebuilt and synchronized properly you will have a super running, fun ride...no need to spend a fortune in trying to find and buy '83 carb's...unless they come attached to a complete '83 ;D ;D :D :D :D :D

I hope this helps you a wee bit with your project. Remember, we are ALL here to help each other get the very best out of our Vision's, so keep asking the question's, no matter how trivial you may think they are. Best of luck... 8)

Where abouts are you located... ??? We may have member(s) in your area to help you... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

h2olawyer

Tiger -
QuoteTiffany
Hattiesburg, Mississippi.

I even know where that is.  My uncle is from that part of Mississippi.  He now lives in Arlington, Texas, though.

She isn't too far from ProfessorRex.  Maybe a couple hours.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:-[ Oops, thanks h2o, missed that...comes with being one of the older young ones ;) :D :D :D :D :D
At least I know where Mississippi is... 8)...sort of ;) ;D ;D :D :D :D :D

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

QBS

It's the journey, not the destination.  With your great attitude you'll do very well.  Cheers.

Tiffanator

Hi all... WOW.. what a warm welcome. All these replies in just the time it took me to get the bike home and tinker with it for a few. 
I took a bunch of pics for reference... so far it is looking pretty good.  The exterior of the gas tank is actually in good shape. I was expecting to find major rust damage on the bottom when I pulled it off.. to my surprise only a few spots. Haven't had a look inside yet though.  I'll be sure to thoroughly clean it.  I pulled off the airbox and will need a new air filter. I looked down in the carbs and they look gunky, will for sure need a good cleaning.  The throttle cable was coiled up under the seat... so I put it back on to the best of my knowledge and it moves pretty smoothly, I will oil it some though.  I had to use a screwdriver to break lose the throttle on the carb, years of dirt and grime and not being moved for 2.5 years had it stuck... but once I freed it up it moved nicely.
Question... I know I shouldn't be thinking cosmetic this early in the game... BUT... I'm a woman, it has to look good.  The chrome plating is peeling off the cover of the YICS (I think that's right), and I want it to look nice.  Do I need to have it rechromed or can I paint it to match the frame? 
Next question... One exhaust pipe has a dime sized hole rusted through on the bottom. The other exhause pipe has a pretty nice scrape on it with rust.  Try to patch and repair or replace?  Haven't gotten underneath yet but the rest looks like its rusty but still substantial.
David... YES, your bike was the one I saw and thought... it HAS to be yellow.  My boat is yellow with blue accents, so I'm thinking frame blue to match the boat and yellow tank and fender.
Again.. thank you ALL for the welcome and help.  I'm so glad I found this place, this restoration would not be possible without you all.  I will get pics up soon.  Oh.. and the original color was silver, the blue paint is cracking and chipping.
Thanks
Tiffany
Tiffanator
First time restorer

Walt_M.

Hi Tiffany, hate to be a wet blanket but it is easy to pretty up a non-runner but having to avoid scratching the paint makes necessary repairs more difficult. Best to get it rideable first so, look in the tank. If it's rusty, clean the carbs and put in a fuel filter. Expect to clean the carbs several times. Also look at the tires, if they are more that 2-3 yrs old, they will need to be replaced. Also check the brakes, they will probably need to be rebuilt. These are just some things to consider, we haven't even brought up electrical.
Welcome to the forum.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Tiffanator

Hi Walt... not a wet blanket at all.  I fully agree with you. My first goal is to get the bike to crank and run, then tear it down and clean it up.  I took a look at the tires, they will for sure need to be replaced, quite rotted from sitting in the sun for years.  I haven't given the brakes a good look over yet, but I'm assuming they will need rebuilding. I turned the motor over by hand, it turns smooth, so tomorrow I plan to pick up a battery, oil, spark plugs, and a little gas to see if I can't get it to crank, even if it runs rough and dies... I'll know its worth saving.  Then I'll pull everything again, clean the carb and tank and proceed from there. 
The electrical will be a big job.  It has a "new" wiring harness from another bike, and I plan to go through each connection and clean and waterproof it.  There are some multi-plugs that have dry rotted plastic that I'll need to repair as well.
Prettying up a bike that doesn't run is like putting whipped cream on a cow turd and telling everyone it's chocolate pie.  :D
Thanks again.
Tiff
Tiffanator
First time restorer

Tiger

Quote from: Tiffanator on February 21, 2007, 09:24:22 PM
Prettying up a bike that doesn't run is like putting whipped cream on a cow turd and telling everyone it's chocolate pie.  :D
Thanks again.
Tiff

:D :D :D :D :D...Yep, she sounds like a keeper guy's, another crazy, for the family...  ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D... ;)

Tiger

Quote from: Tiffanator on February 21, 2007, 08:12:59 PM
The chrome plating is peeling off the cover of the YICS (I think that's right), and I want it to look nice.  Do I need to have it rechromed or can I paint it to match the frame? 
Next question... One exhaust pipe has a dime sized hole rusted through on the bottom. The other exhaust pipe has a pretty nice scrape on it with rust.  Try to patch and repair or replace?  Haven't gotten underneath yet but the rest looks like its rusty but still substantial.
Tiffany

Hi Tiff'
I would initially patch the exhaust to get you up & running. I prob' have a decent YIC's cover that I can send you.

8).......TIGER....... 8)

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Tiger on February 21, 2007, 09:42:04 PM
Quote from: Tiffanator on February 21, 2007, 09:24:22 PM
Thanks again.
Tiff

:D :D :D :D :D...Yep, she sounds like a keeper guy's, another crazy, for the family...  ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D... ;)

I think thats the best quote I ever heard. ;D  ;D

David

Tiffanator

Tiger... yes, I'm quite crazy... why else would I drag a broken down bike into my garage... KNOWING my parents would kill me.  Dad knows and hasn't said anything.. he just shook his head. Mom doesn't know yet, I'm putting off that one.  My theory is its MY house and MY money and I've wanted to do something like this for a long time.  And now everyone wants to ride it when I'm done.
David... glad you like my quote, I guess that's a little of the southern "not so belle" showing through.
I took a peek inside the gas tank last night, and from what I have read on here I believe my tank has been KREME'd over a layer of rust.  It has a coating of a thin and brittle tannish yellow substance that appears to be bubbling and has chipped off some. How do I go about getting this out?  I have read about using that POR stuff with BBs or some chain to scrape the sides, will that take the kreme off?  Quick and probably stupid question... has anyone ever cracked one of these tanks open?  I have a friend restoring a '68 Camaro and he is doing all of his own body repair with a MIG welder and could cut the tank and weld it back together.  I have another friend who owns a body shop, but he'll be out of commission for about 6 months, so I'll have to wait to get him to work on it.
Tiger... I'll shoot you an email about that YICS cover.
Thanks
Tiff
Tiffanator
First time restorer

Coil Coyle

Tiff,
          No cutting, Just solvent and acid wash the inside. Patch any holes from the outside with epoxy putty or tape, then seal the inside.

$0.02
;)
Coil

GT @ oh.

Welcome Tiff ....you've found the place where all your Q's will get answered.I usually ask the q's not respond to them but....I believe it was reckon who has suggested a certain solvent to deKreem the tank. Do a search or ask reckon direct as I can't remember but it was common. A few other things you will discover in your searching are...... starter clutch bolts will need replaced and peened, starter nose seal will need upgraded to spring type, bolt.... on rear hub brace will need inspection and or replaced (very important for safety) , stator connection (three white wires from stator to r/r) will need cleaned at the very least ( some suggest hard wiring con.) ,the thick black wire from r/r to left coil will need to be checked to insure quality ground to frame (some run extra ground wire too), carb blockage and yics leaking seem to be other more common problems.... for running and starting issues.I'm sure there are other things as well so do some searching and then ask lots of "stupid" q's..... like I do. ;D         Again welcome to the V Family