News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Wiring an accessory power center

Started by h2olawyer, February 27, 2007, 12:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

I just completed rewiring the auxilliary power center on my Vision.  I installed a relay between the battery and the fuse block so it turns on & off with the key.  Now, if I forget to turn off the driving lights, the battery won't die.  Hadn't happened yet, but I knew I'd forget it at some point.  I also used it for the power source for the volt gauge.  I had the gauge wired into the old fuse box under the seat.  The wire hookups weren't all that tight so I got some jumpy readings at times.  A third circuit is for the power port where I get power to run my helmet camera or GPS.  That leaves me with three spots for future additions.  Grip heaters are getting installed this spring.  Also, I can run the power for the FIAMM 130dB horns I'll be adding when I do the grip heaters.  I'll use the existing horn wiring to operate the horn relay.  Not sure if I'll add anything else, but it is nice to have the option.

To get power to the relay, I tapped into the wiring I used for the CPU fan I have cooling the R/R.  When I installed that item, I used the existing bullet connectors and ran a jump wire from both the blue (power) and black (ground) wires.  To run the relay, I used a "scotchlock" type connector on each of the jump wires.  That way, I didn't have to touch the factory wiring.  The relay is zip-tied to the wiring harness next to the original fuse box, under the seat.

The 10 gauge main power wire runs from the battery positive terminal to the relay.  Then the wire from the fuse block also attaches to the relay.  The 10 gauge ground wire runs from the negative battery terminal directly to the ground bus bar.  I installed a posi-lock connector in the ground line in case I want to take things apart easier later.

The main components are shown in the photos below.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

vavision

auxillary power blocks are fun. I just added one to the Vstrom for my heated grips, gps, horn, extra lights, comm system, heated gear and 12v adaptors. The v... i just have a comm system, horn and heated gear hookups... i'm slacking  ;)
It's not about living, it's about living well. Enjoy each moment.