News:

Main Menu

Draining the fuel tank?

Started by Minitor911, March 04, 2007, 05:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minitor911

Hey guys,
I just bought (as in last night) an '82 vision that was garage kept for at least 8 months. Could someone please tell me how to drain the fuel tank so I can get fresh gas in her?

"Tanks" alot.

Sam
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

h2olawyer

Welcome to the forum, Minitor!

Put the bike on the side stand.  Get a section of 1/4 inch tubing.  Hook it to the fuel outlet on the petcock.   Put the other end in a fuel can.  Set the petcock to "PRI" & remove the gas cap.  Fuel should flow with no problem.  You might have to lay the bike over a little farther than the side stand will allow so all the fuel from the right side of the tank will drain.

Hope this helps & Good luck getting your new toy ready to ride!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Minitor911

Great, thankyou! Now I have an agenda for tomorrow.

Sam
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

Night Vision

you might want to drain the carbs too... there are drain screws on the left side of each carb, just to the right of each drain hose "nipple"...
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

:)...and you should put an in-line filter, in between the petcock and carb's...before you try to run her. Once she is all hooked up, put her to prime and wait a couple of minute's, set the choke and give her a try. Make sure you have a fully charged battery... ;)
Good luck and welcome to "The Family"...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

Also, as long as the tank is not Kreemed (white to yellowish vynal coating you can catch with a fingernail) you should add a can of Seafoam or Berrymans fuel injector cleaner.  if the tank is coated with POR-15 or Caswell it's ok to use the cleaners.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black