News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Its Surgery Time In Tennessee!

Started by YellowJacket!, March 05, 2007, 08:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Well, I knew it was coming.  Its my turn to join the ranks of Kia and others that will be or have had recent surgery.  Maybe we can all reserve a wing at the hospital I work at and have a ROV git together there.  I'm sure we can all put our collective minds together and figure out a way to "tune" the hospital beds.
As it goes, I have been having some pretty serious episodes of chest pain, usually at night which wake me up from a - no pun intended - dead sleep.  The scary thing s that the pain radiates up my jaw, into my back and to my left shoulder.  All classic signs of a heart attack.  Now, being the male healthcare provider that I am, I immediately deny that I am having a heart attack :o  , tough it out and eat about 10 rolaids and try to go back to sleep so I can work the next day.  When I finally wake up the next morning, I think to myself: "well, it wasn't a heart attack afterall."  Anyway, I went to the doctor and got a good checkup and one of the reasons I ruled out my heart was because I work a very physical job (I walk and run from 10 to 16 miles a day at 8/12hr shifts).  Stress test was fine, Nuke studies of my heart were fine and most of my blood work was fine.
I got the choice of having a heart cath or an abdominal ultrasound to check my gallbladder.  Being the weanie that I am and not wanting all the fine female nurses that I now in the cath lab sticking needles into my groin, I opted for the less invasive ultrasound.  I got a call a couple days later saying I needed to come in for a HIDA (Nuclear) scan 0of my gallbladder, which I did and after that found out that my gallbladder is only spitting out about 6% of the bile - it should be working at 35 to 45%.  So, the ultrasound did not show stones, but the little sac of bile isn't working right, so it has to come out.   woooohooooo!
Now, being a Respiratory Therapist, I an well trained and proficient at putting tubes down peoples throats and breathing for them but I have never had it done to myself and I don't relish the thought of it.  Did I mention that I'm a big weenie?  So its going to be General Anesthesia and a laproscopic cholecystectomy (thats doctor talk for blowing my belly up like a beach ball, sticking a bunch of probes in me and a lighted fiber optic scope and cutting out my gallbladder). :o
I go in Monday the 12th at 0600, so say your prayers, send some flowers and come visit me.  ;D
Its kinda cool though because I was already scheduled to be off for spring break, and the surg is before that so I'm off work for 17 days, then work on day then off for three more days. ;D ;D ;D  The month of March is a wash.  I'll have some good time to work on the bike.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kiawrench

lol,, we need to talk to our gracious host,, get a section on the site devoted to broken riders,,,,,, and those that are multiplying ,,,, roflmao
   You know Lucky is going to be on your doorstep often now, chicken soup with matzah,,, oy, what a health benifit !!
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

h2olawyer

A friend had her gallbladder removed a year or so ago.  She said it was no big deal.  She is a Physician's assistant in a small town near the Nebraska border.  Had it done at the small hospital she works at.  Hope yours goes as well.  My prayers to you for a speedy recovery!

A separate section for health & family might keep the "Off Topic" section from filling so fast!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Scott_Mc

QuoteI go in Monday the 12th at 0600, so say your prayers, send some flowers and come visit me. 
Would you like yellow ones to match your bike ;)?? 

Reading all this makes me feel fortunate that I live very close to some of the best hospitals in the world.

Heal up quickly so you can enjoy your time off!
Owned an `82 XZ for 22(?) years!
Current 2-`85 and 1-`86 GS1150E/ 1-`85 GS700ES
Wanted:-ST1300 :-O !!

louthepou

Gall bladers are highly overrated!  ;D

Take care and I hope the hospital food will not make you ill.

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Mutt

Dave, good luck. I hope you made friends with all the doctors and nurses. You wouldn't want them removing the wrong thing!

So your saying your gald bladder is as useless as a YICS unit? Just plug it off huh?  :P

Heal up for a spring run!  :)

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

BREWSKI

Dave, Had both Angiogram catheter thru groin artery scared the s..t out of me as I was awake during the procedure.The other was a can of corn . Got to hospital pre-op given a tranquilizer,after that got really calm,wheeled to O.R went to sleep"no dreams' woke up and it was over some discomfort,not bad.               You,re on my Prayer list.  Brewski....
GEORGE BATES

Brian_Matthewson

Dave..
Best of luck for a successful operation and a speedy recovery!
At least it's not cutting into the best riding weather.
Brian
1982 Vision rider from 1991 to 2012.

dj

Dave,

Wishing you a speedy recovery.  Don't want you laid up for to long or the V might start feeling neglected.  We all know what happens when they feel neglected. ::)
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

BREWSKI

Added you to prayer list along with davetn  Brewski....
GEORGE BATES

Tiger

:) All the very best for a speedy recovery.....but if things don't work out can I have first dibs on your "V"   :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D...Best of luck, bro'...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lead_Deficiency

lol, join the club, had mine out over christmas.

Nothing a few tylenol 3 can't fix !

May be it's time to change the line under your avitar ?

You might not be able to do too much work on the bike, I found putting on socks and shoes a little brutal for a while.
;D

Walt_M.

Dave, you are right. You are being a wuss! Kia is the one who has a major thing going! Anyway, hope they don't leave a junior mint in you or anything. All the best, Walt.
Whale oil beef hooked!

YellowJacket!

To all who wished me well and prayers, a BIg HEARTY THANK YOU!

Tiger, sorry man but Lucky gets the bike..... Just Kidding

Mutt,  I've worked with most of those doctors and nurses almost all my life - for the last 20 years actually, so I know I'm in good hands.
The hospital was remodeled 2 years ago and is now like a 5 star hotel.  I'm really no kidding about that.  Its really nice.
As for the food, it is actually VERY good.  So good in fact that many people come to the cafeteria to eat out....and they are not even patients or visitors!  Its funny because we just thought it was a trick two years ago to encourage us to use the cafeteria, but its catching on.  More and more people are just coming in to eat.

Thanks to all of you.  You are all a great extended family!! ;D

David

Night Vision

ya know....
getting rid of excess parts and weight will make ya faster....
just make sure Lucky doesn't detune your carbs even more while you're gone...

Be Well....
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Walt_M.

Dave, now you are now an even bigger wuss! (Told someone before my feminine side is not working today). Suck it up man, rub some dirt on it!
Whale oil beef hooked!

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Mutt on March 06, 2007, 07:32:18 AM
So your saying your gald bladder is as useless as a YICS unit? Just plug it off huh?  :P
Mutt

I love that comment!  ;D

Walt,

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a Wuss when it comes to poking holes in my body.  I can dish it out but I just can't take it in. :o
I tell people al the time "this'll only hurt a little" or "I've been doing this for 20 years and I'll do my best to not hurt you." knowing well that its probably going to hurt.

David

Lucky

Dave knows that his bik'd be safe with me.  it might be black & gold when he gets it back, but it'll be running well...

I've already told my wife that if anything happened to me, i want to be creamated & brought on a last Dragon run...Serously.  with my luck someone would cross the double yellow & i'll end up making the same leap Harrison Ford did in The Fugitive (they filmed that scene there)

can i have your old gall bladder? i figure i can Dip it, clean it out & keep it on the shelf with my carbs for a spare...

and Dave, your only allowed to be a wuss before the operation  ;D ;D

I'll be right here 'till you get back.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Mutt

Quote from: DaveTN on March 06, 2007, 09:01:34 PM

As for the food, it is actually VERY good.  So good in fact that many people come to the cafeteria to eat out....and they are not even patients or visitors!  Its funny because we just thought it was a trick two years ago to encourage us to use the cafeteria, but its catching on.  More and more people are just coming in to eat.

David

If they offer liver or kidney beans......decline!

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Tiger

Quote from: Mutt on March 07, 2007, 12:34:25 AM
Quote from: DaveTN on March 06, 2007, 09:01:34 PM

David

If they offer liver or kidney beans......decline!

Mutt

...or mini HAGGIS  :o  ;D  ;D  ;D  :D  :D   :D  :D... ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!