News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Fairing?

Started by inanecathode, March 22, 2007, 07:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

I dig the full fairing some of you guys' bikes have. How do i go about finding one/installing one? Im also interested in the engine guard ive seen around on here.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

dj

The full fairing look is primarily on the 83's, so you could try searching ebay for "1983 Vision full fairing" or something like that.

You can also try keeping an eye on this thread - http://ridersofvision.net/forum/xzindex.php?topic=6172.0 It is "Tiger's Parts Emporium" ;)  He updates it on about a weekly basis.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

inanecathode

Its just the kind of weather i get up here often, that and i think a bike without some sort of fairing looks remotely goofy.

Coil Coyle

Quote from: inanecathode on March 22, 2007, 07:53:16 AM
I dig the full fairing some of you guys' bikes have. How do i go about finding one/installing one? Im also interested in the engine guard ive seen around on here.
Inane,
             The crash bars and the RK model fairing can not be used together.
;)
Coil

kiawrench

the big ,full fairing was only offereed on very late 82s, and all 83s. with the 8s being installed at some selected dealerships in an effort to move the stock of 82s. the problem for most wanting that fairing is, there arent that many of them out there .

there are several ways to find on, you can post your search on a national search data base through the internet, just goggle motorcycle salvage search , and look around until you find a site that offers a search engine- i located a few parts this way ,but it is a long wait at times.
  you can keep a watch on the swap shop ection of this site, anytime one of us sees a fairing on sale it is posted
  you can search e-bay ,and place a watch on sales for a fairing, when one is offered it will come up in your e-mail
  you can buy a fairing in secions,, upper in one place, a lower here, a mount there

or, you can use a site like            http://www.nationalcycle.com/   send them a letter, explain your need and ask for a tech service/sales rep to call you, sometimes they will actually return your request and they have something that will work.

lastly, you can buy almost any full fairing you find that was designed for a mid sized bike in the 80s, and when it arrives, take fairing and bike to a body shop, and ask them to build a mounting system for you(may be a bit costly,but effective)

the thing about fairings, if you have one on the bike, you wont have any place to mount a set of engine guards, so it is either/or,, not both  engine guards appear on e-bay now and then , and sometimes on the swapshop. there are two types that i know of, one is the oem one,, as you see in most pics, and one that is just a big triangle type loop that is more in front of engine, it is harder to mount, due to it's design, but it will go on.  if you can find the link for the online vision e-zine, you can see one like that mounted on my dearly departed silver vision.  my current one has the oem .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

reckon

I will be making a full fairing using the factory "shark" fairing (like on my V), and the standard lower as the "models" for the pieces. I was thinking of kevlar, or carbon fiber for strength and weight savings.

I too REALLY like the look of the full fairing, but I want to add my own style, and use some more modern headlight/mirror combinations.

figure I should have these ready in about 6 months, with saddlebags styled to match about 4 months after that  (see what happens when I get a bike I like?)   :D

yes, I know thats a long time, but I waited 22 YEARS to get my V, so 6 months to get a BRAND NEW cool looking full fairing set, complete with brackets, heater/cool air vents, dashboard, yada yada isn't going to kill anyone

I want to start making them NOW, but I have "things" I have to get done first,......[sigh]
"if it's stupid but it works, it's no longer stupid"

YellowJacket!

OHHHHH  ooooohhhhhhhh!   I WANT the saddlebags!  ;D  ;D  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Brian Moffet

I would definitely be interested in the saddle bags.  I already have a fairing.

Brian

inanecathode

Quote from: reckon on March 22, 2007, 08:55:03 AM
I will be making a full fairing using the factory "shark" fairing (like on my V), and the standard lower as the "models" for the pieces. I was thinking of kevlar, or carbon fiber for strength and weight savings.

I too REALLY like the look of the full fairing, but I want to add my own style, and use some more modern headlight/mirror combinations.

figure I should have these ready in about 6 months, with saddlebags styled to match about 4 months after that  (see what happens when I get a bike I like?)   :D

yes, I know thats a long time, but I waited 22 YEARS to get my V, so 6 months to get a BRAND NEW cool looking full fairing set, complete with brackets, heater/cool air vents, dashboard, yada yada isn't going to kill anyone

I want to start making them NOW, but I have "things" I have to get done first,......[sigh]

I was actually thinking about this. Making a mold out of an existing fairing using a sand plaster molding technique. All i need is a fairing to borrow for a week or so when i make my plaster positives :D

kiawrench

reckon,,
     i have the hard saddlebags from a secaII on my v, but mounted backwards, and a vetter fairing,called "quicksilver"   it is a med/large fairing, but it was never built with lowers, so i guess could say is 3/4 unit. it provides great wind protection, a spaceship look and drives the harley guys into a fit when they find out they were only made for about three months in the early 80s.  the vetter plant, then called windjammer ,burned down, and craig vetter sold all of his interest in the company to Ranger industries.  the quicksilver was never brought out of mothballs,

anyway, i can send you pix of my ride later, so you can see the set up
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Kenny

Re: Saddlebags
   Your best bet is to pick up a set of used Krausers (if you want hardbags) these came in three sizes- 25 ltre. 35 ltre. & 40 ltre. sizes and can be easily adapted to fit the vision. Early Bmw's used these bags and flea markets are a good source. I believe Hepco/Becker (sp) make repo's.
I like these as the can be easily removed to suite your ride type.
   I have also used soft bags but prefer the hard types.
                 Ken S.
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

visionrevisit

I have some of the part 1 main bracket, 19 upper fairing body, 9right stay do not have 37 lower right 25 lower left 10 w stay or 9 left stay.  They are not available unless you find them yourself. Lucky has a dashboard and wiring harness maybe?  My lowers I got off ebay.

Make me an offer?

h2olawyer

Original dash panels are difficult to find.  Tiger makes them.  I made a wood dash that works well & is easy to mount accessories on.  Didn't want to cut up the original dash.  Building the wiring harness extension would be pretty easy.  A couple headlight connectors, some bullet connectors and a couple spade connectors along with some wire from 12 to 18 gauge would do the trick.

For fairing parts, keep an eye here & search eBay.  I got a full fairing with all mounting brackets - just missing the wiring connector cover & bracket.  The most difficult part to locate is probably the oil filler adapter.  you can still mount the fairing but you will need to remove the left lower to add oil.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

reckon

the saddlebags will be vacuum formed ABS, two piece, hinged at the bottom.  I will include a removable latching system, so you can take the bags on and off the bike. they will also have a sloted/edge/gasket and folding latches so your stuff won't get soaked if you leave it out, or ride in the rain.

I won't be using ANY existing bags as models, rather I will be making them up from scratch, sized and styled after the bike

the bags will look pretty much like a cross between the tank, and the shark fairing, I'll post sketches with several choices, and let popular demand decide which style I'll make up

if I get super industrious (or enough people ask for it) I will make a top case as well, so you can make your V a full on tourer if thats your thing.  my welding buddy already said he'd whip up some aluminum mounting brackets once I need them.
"if it's stupid but it works, it's no longer stupid"

kwells

reckon you're one industrious mofo
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

QBS

All this fairing talk is truely wonderful and a little intoxicating.  However, we should all not forget that, regarding the factory full fairing, there are the foot peg, shifter linkage, and handle bar riser componets that were part of the package.  I don't know how the '82 ergonomics would work on the '83 fairing.  But, I do know that the '82 risers will not work on the '83 fairing.  Don't know what it would feel like with '82 foot pieces and '83 rises.

h2olawyer

I have the 83 fairing & risers with the 82 pegs, brake lever & shift linkage.  Works well.  I hit my shins on the lowers a few times after I installed the fairing but got used to that.  No problem anymore.  I'm 6' tall & my arms & legs are a little longer than most people of my height.  Don't know if I'd feel cramped with the 83 foot control setup or not.  Am willing to find the pegs / controls & give it a try, though.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

h2olawyer

From what I've seen of parts from those guys, they must include some precious metal with their parts - or at least think their parts contain some.  Bike dismantlers are often much higher priced than you can normally find from a private seller on eBay.  Not true in all cases, though.  I have dealt with a couple bike yards that have had prices we can all live with & still keep them in business.

Still, that upper fairing body does look to be in great shape.

H2O

kwells

for as much as those are coveted I would say that is cheap...just an OEM seat cover is going for 130
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com