News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

How do you take out the ignition switch?

Started by dj, March 28, 2007, 12:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dj

:-[

I ask this question because I lost my keys to the V.  I called the local Yamaha dealer and they said that they might be able to get new keys made if I take out the ignition switch and get the serial number off of it.

So, I need to know how do I get the ignition switch out to be able to read the number.  Please let me know what the procedure is.

Thanks, and try not to pick on me too much for this.   :-[
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Brian Moffet

There are 2 hex bolts (I think 8 mm) under the instrument panel that are on each side of the ignition switch. Those have to come out.  If you're like most Visions, including mine, you might only have one up there.  Once that is out, there is a connector a short distance from the switch that you can disconnect if you want.  Your's probably terminates in the headlight bucket if you have an 82.

Brian

dj

VR thanks for the info.  I'll have to see about pulling it out tonight and calling the dealer to get a new set of keys made up.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

kwells

once i had to take my ignition switch to the dealer to have a key made but only ones with good key guys can do it

really its just the number on the bottom they need and then they have a manual that tells them the series of inserts to make the keys
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

dj

Kwells, thanks for the tip.  I am hoping that they will be able to make a new set once I can get them the number.  I don't really want to have to get a new ignition switch as they are a bit on the pricey side.  And on top of that I would still need to figure out how to get the gas cap off.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

kwells

www.wellsmoto.com

dj

Great, I didn't think of that.  So if I can't get keys made up I have to replace 3 things.  >:( >:( >:(
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

kwells

just call around and ask if they can do it...if a yamaha dealer can't find a locksmith....might have to get blanks from yamaha

www.wellsmoto.com

Walt_M.

I did that very same thing recently, took the ignition lock to a locksmith and had 2 new keys plus a spare for the TDM for $22 and about 20 minutes. Well worth the effort. Plus, you can tighten the lock properly when you put it back. Many of them are loose now.
Whale oil beef hooked!

RBFD415

I'm reviving this old thread since I thought it might jog some memories? I'm sad and dismayed that I have in fact lost my keys to the bike! I see the instructions posted here to remove the ignition switch and take it to the locksmith. Just curious if anybody has found an alternative to this approach?

While I obviously still need to get the gas cap off and open the seat- I was kicking around doing away with the ignition key all together and hiding a micro style switch in the frame to turn the ignition on.

Any thoughts?

fret not

That's fine for the ignition, but what about your fuel cap and seat? :o
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

skucera

Also try independent locksmiths too.  Motorcycle keys are relatively simple by their standards.

Scott

RBFD415

Naturally- within a day of posting my last, the single key I have left magically reappeared! Just as a aside, I did specifically state I would still need to open the gas cap.

Will get an additional pair of keys made at this point!

Again still thinking of a "hidden" ignition switch.

The Prophet of Doom

Who wants a 20th century ignition switch? Go for a keyless RFID system from motogadget.

dingleberry

then you only have the transponder thing to lose
You like, oui?

devotee

Heck, just get a new Wildabeest Ignition System.

No key or nuttin.  Just wil da beest to run.

Sorry
devotee
XZ550RK
XS750E
GL1000 (1976) project

RBFD415

That does look intriguing! Interesting concept!

As an aside- realizing we have people from across the globe on here- how is shipping handled from Europe and the UK to the USA? I know the monetary end can be converted via the credit card. Was unsure of how shipping is handled with the current climate of security and other issues. Anyone have experience with this? I was looking at another motorsport related item from the UK.

dpequip

I ship and receive parts globally all the time.  In  most cases for small items less than 50 pounds the post office is the most cost effective shipping carrier.  The postman brings it with your regular mail.  The UK is actually one of the easier places to get parts from.  I have several suppliers I use in the UK.  I also have a supplier I get tractor parts from in Ireland and I generally have my parts in 2-3 days to the USA at better prices even after I pay the shipping.  On the USA end there generally are no customs duties.  This is not true in many other countries where the receiver may have to pay customs fees, and taxes before they can get their items from the post office or shipping company.  As for motorcycle parts these are not on the commerce controlled items list, munitions list or considered parts for WMD so there are not import/export restrictions on these type of items.
1982 Yamaha Vision Owned Since New.
Mods:Euro Primary Gear set, Euro footpegs & controls, Yamaha 1/4 Fairing, Braided Stainless lines, Forkbrace, Tapered roller bearings in steering, '83 rear Shock