News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

New vision Owner, tips appreciated

Started by packman85, March 29, 2007, 06:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

packman85

So I recently bought my first bike.  An 82 vision, for 200$.  The guy sold it to me and it didnt fire up.  SO I replaced a couple fuses got a new battery, new gas and some seafoam and she fired up.  She runs rough at idle so far.  Actually she wont idle without the choke at least half on.  I tried adjusting the idle screw and it heled a bit, maybe I just need to keep turning it.  so Im going to put a list of the problems/issues Ive discover thus far on the particular bike and any advice would be greatly appriciated.

1. Leaky gas tank, rust hole on the front left hand corner just above the seam.
2. Rotted out muffler. The pipes off the front seem to be good but the muffler on the right side has a hole  all the way through it.  DOnt want to spend 600 for stock replacement, but dont like the looks of the MAC pipes.  Perhaps a custom job.  I have a friend whos a welder, perhaps we can weld something up.
3.  Previously mentioned idle issue
4. Backfires, probobly due to leaky exhaust
5. Tach doesnt work, the backlight comes on but the tach doesnt work.
6. Needs a new front tire and new paint job, currently rattle can flat black
7. Probobly need to replace the brake tensioner rod bolts mentioned in an earlier thread
8. Oil leak, I think its the crankcase gasket, which looks like a bear to replace according to my haynes manual
9. Currently in the midst of replacing the fuse box
10. Carbon fouled plugs due to running rich probobly because you have to keep the choke on.
11.  A bit of rust on the swing arm and frame
12.  Would like to replace all the vacum lines with new ones
13. Need to examine the rear brake shoes, there seems to be a lot of free play on the rear brake, if the shoes are fine then I just need to adjust the pedal free play

Well, thats about all that I can think of, im sure Ill find more.  I cant wait to get this out on the open road.  So far Ive only riden in a parking lot and in my culdesaque.  I got it tabbed yesterday and Im going to get my permit on saturday. Thanks for the advice in advance, Im sure it will be good.
"Real men don't need full fairings, go naked or go home!!"

YellowJacket!

Hi Packman,
I'll be the first of many to tell you that you will really really need to clean the carbs.  Not just shooting some carb cleaner in them but removing, disassembling and dipping them.  Lots of infor here about that as well as at luckys site www.xz550.com .  While your'e there, invest in Lucky's very informative CD with all the manuals and such.  Well worth it.

Welcome aboard....many tips to follow. ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiger

:) Hi and welcome to the "Family"...The only place for some-one with a "V"... 8)

:) The first thing, with any Vision...Altogether now...CLEAN THE CARB'S... ;) This is a must do.
:) The backfire will be a combination of dirty/ out-of-sync' carb's and leaking exhaust.
:) The oil leak could be from the left side cover, where the stator wire's exit the case.
:) The brake tensioner rod bolts ARE A MUST DO... ::)
:) Replace all the vacuum lines and gas line AND also add an in-line gas filter.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

welcome to the site, and congratulations on getting it running with minimum investment and expenditures...

that are not alot of running $200 Visions out there or on here..

the rest is ea$y  ;D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

I agree with Tiger - the leak is likely the left side cover.  Difficult to get the grommets to seal properly after stator replacement.  Now that I've done 3 in 3 years, I'm getting fairly good at it.  Ask more about it when you get to that stage of the restoration.

Brake tensioner bolts are a critical safety item - take NO chances & replace them NOW - before you ride it over 5 MPH.

Clean carbs canot be stressed enough.  (I just finished the set on my latest V)

New OEM mufflers are no longer available at any price from Yamaha.  Predators (stainless system from England is around $700 with shipping) and MACs are about your only choices for pre-fab systems.  After that, it's custom all the way.  (Unless we can get enough orders for Gary Wolf to make a few sets for us.)

Fuel tank can be fixed.  POR-15 and Caswell are the recommended systems.  Stay away from Kreem.  Again, ask about it at that point in your project.

Welcome to Vision ownership & the ROV forum!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

ps2/bikevision

welcome. the best tool you have is that manual. it will be your bible from now on. with owning a vision, comes great knowledge of all things vision. you will soon get to know your ride very well. unlike all those other bikes out there when someone asks what something is on the bike you will be able to tell them what it does, how it does it, and how to fix it when it breaks.

but relax, all in due time. the vision is easy to work on. if you come here for parts you will find them farely cheap, we like to help keep visions running, not make a living selling parts.

QBS

All the questions you've asked are address in depth in the forum archives.  Research there will educate you on all things V.  Backfire is commonly caused by a weak battery.  Also suggest you research and do the stator coil continuity test.

reckon

I can tell you from experience, these bikes are VERY sensitive to carb/exhaust changes, so the combination of dirty carbs, AND the leaky exhaust will make it run like crap (if it runs at all)

you also probably have some vacuum leaks, look a the carb boots, and the YICS chamber (chrome triangular thingy on the right side of the motor, between the carbs)

there is a YICS fix in the tech section, and liquid electrical tape works quite well on the leaky boots (I didn't believe it until I tried it).  there's also some guy here on the forum making reproduction YICS chambers, but he's taking his sweet time about it!  (nudge nudge, wink wink)   :D

the hole in the exhaust is a real issue, especially if it's just the one side (like mine was) this unbalances the motor badly, and it runs like crap. 
fix or replace the exhaust (after cleaning the carbs PROPERLY) and it'll run like a different bike,...........mine did.   

I'm getting a MAC system later this summer, so I just patched the hole in the muffler (it was the size of two fists) with some sheet aluminum, muffler repair goop (at kragen came in a tube with screen and foil) and then pop riveted it tight.  next day I had a VERY quiet, GREAT running bike. 
after polishing the aluminum, you have to be quite close to notice all the rivets in the right muffler.

welcome to the forum, it'll take some work, and a little blind faith, but you'll have a really sweet riding (read: fast as a scalded cat!) motorcycle thats just a joy to ride, and a bike you don't see everyday,...especially running!   ;D
"if it's stupid but it works, it's no longer stupid"

Superfly

Welcome to the $200 Vision club.  That is what I paid for mine. 

I agree with QBS, give the charging system a once over.  I would also add "install voltage gauge" on your list.  I really like knowing what is going on with my charging system when I am riding.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Coil Coyle

And...
          wet fouled plugs can also give you the giant backfire. Pull and clean the insulator with heat from the kitchen stove flame, or replace.
Heating with a torch can be too fast and crack the insulator. Stoves are slow, heat until the electrode glows and the plug will be good as new.

$0.02
;)
Coil

don_vanecek

Welcome!  The fact that you know it will run and I assume go though the gears tells you it has all sorts of possibilities! Your already light years ahead of some of the other new members we get with Visions that have sat for years and do nothing.

Good luck on your fix up!