Anyone Use Skype??

Started by YellowJacket!, April 03, 2007, 05:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you want to skype?

I want to skype
I want to type

YellowJacket!

I had an idea.  There are times when a lot of us are online here at ROV.  Some are posting some are searching and some are pulling out their hair in frustration.  Many of us know each other from behind the keyboard and some of us have even had the opportunity to meet each other.
Some of us have cell phones with free minutes or "unlimited" long distance but not all of us.  I have skype which is free, yet I think the only times I ever used it was to talk to Lucky just before he moved here to TN.
I think it would be cool if we could have some sort of way to be able to "talk" to each other while we are on line...some of us..me especially, may be able to better articulate what we are trying to say too.  Although the forums are a very iumportant means for archiving our thoughts and solutions, sometimes talk is good too.
There are a few forums that I visit that have built in ip phone chat capability...again, I have never used it but it seems cool.

So, tell me what you all think.  Do you want to talk or type?

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

inanecathode

I have two, two things to add on! Ha Ha Ha!

Ahem. Anyway. It'd be worth looking into to get an online java type chat thingie hooked up on this forum, that way possibly you can jump on there and chat with people that are already on.
Either that, or even better, the online game i use, alot of people on there use something called "Ventrilo" it's an easy to setup walkie talky like computer applet that you just boot up, connect, and you're talking to anyone and everyone who wants to talk to you. I've seen upwards of 12 people in one group on there before. Might be pretty cool to get ourselves a server setup for that...

Anyway, my fraction of a dollar.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

YellowJacket!

Thanks inane

Any ideas are welcome.  At least by me.  Whatever is implemented is entirely up to Ron/admin.  Thats why I was thinking about skype or something like that since it is independent of the site.

David

ps2/bikevision

i belive we tried the chat room thing.  i dont think it really worked out and was taken off.

kiawrench

other than vonage, skype is the next best thing, it works ,and works well.

Ventrilo is a clone of roger wilco, a walkie talkie type program we were using for years in the nascar online circuit . once the aviation gamers found it, it just jammed up and flushed it's self .   got my vote for skype
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

kwells

I've used ventrillo while playing Enemy Territory...not a bad program...takes a few people to use it or you just sit on there talking to youself though
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

YellowJacket!

If you look on my sig line you'll see a little button that says "skype me"...Lucky has one too.  If you see that I'm online, and you have skype, click that button and we can talk. (I'm on my Vista PC right now and haven't installed skype yet, so hang in there until I get it set back up or am on my other PC)

David

YellowJacket!

for the benefit of some of our newer members I thought Id revive this post.  I use skype for school to communicate with some of my internet classmates.  It has proven to be indispensible.  So, for anyone who wnats to talk, say Hi or ask a question, "drop me a line"...or leave a message.  my skype name is davearpino
best of all, its free.

David

Rick G

I'm trying to get CDNL and Tiger to join me occasionally on Yahoo messanger , if anyone else wants to just down load it and add me as a friend ( rgcdn1) I'll turn it on when ever I'm on . i used to talk to Lucky and Humber and lots of others.I don't have skipe and doubt that this thing could deal with it. My daughter gave I the board , CPU and ram in 2001(used)  and I put it togeather in a case in 2002 so you can figure its probably wind up or steam powered!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

YellowJacket!

Rick, I haven't forgot a computer for you.  I have lots of parts, just not the time at the moment to get them all together and mail'em out.

David

Rick G

Thats fine Dave, I look forward to the day, I understand the limits on your time. If this thing craps out , I'll go to the library every couple of days,  so I don't loose you guys. I called Tiger on my "free"long distance , on my cell phone , but got a rude awakening, it seems Canada is a foreign country  ??? fancy that!!.  I'll have to stick to The US guys .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike