News:

Main Menu

Hello to All!

Started by archangelof2003, April 06, 2007, 11:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archangelof2003

Just wanted to drop a quick line and introduce myself.  I am the "archangel" and have been in and out of bike shops for the last 15 years (But I'm only 30!)  So last Monday a subordinate of mine told me he had a Vision he wanted to sell...naturally I told him to bring it to me to look at.  I knew basically nothing about the bike other than it was low production early 80's bike.  What I was suprised to see was a (very dirty) all there 550 v-twin underslung in one of the most unusual frames I've ever seen.  I had to have it.  So after haggling with him a bit I got the bike and title for $125.00.  I think a pretty good deal.  It needs a starter clutch which I'm not looking forward to but should not be much of a problem with some help.  I promptly went to my dealer and ordered $400.00 in parts (which I got for about 250 cause I used to work with the parts manager in the washbay!) and am looking forward to getting started on it.  I am happy to see that there is a place I can go to talk with good people and get advise and will try my best to contribute to conversation as deep as I can. 

The best part of this whole stary is that just last week (before this all transpired) my fiance noticed that I was a little glum.  I told her that it was going to be a long summer with no bike (I sold my RD 250 and my KZ200cafe the previous year to buy her ring) and she, without hesitation, asked if I needed to sell her engagement ring to buy a bike(no wonder I am marrying her!)...OK...It did cross my mind.  But I would never tell her that! 

It's Easter wknd in Ohio and we have got about 3 inches of snow in the last 2 days...CRAZY!  I started to detail the bike so I can work on it but it needs a good soapy hand wash...soon as it gets warm I'm gonna do that.  I can't wait to start! 

I look forward to whitty conversation...looks like a good crew..I'll get some pics of the bike soon...

BK
"May the devil know we're dead a half an hour after we're in Heaven..."

QBS

Welcome aboard!  You have arrived in Vnarie heaven. 
All the V saints are here.  Cheers.

Night Vision

welcome... I think there are a couple of members around the Ohio area...
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

smknjoe1964

Welcome  :) Yuve came to the right place for your Vision ! Lots of friendly help and advice here !

louthepou

Good day, and welcome!

Lotssss of info here... glad you rescued another Vision.

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Tiger

Quote from: archangelof2003 on April 06, 2007, 11:11:35 PM
  It needs a starter clutch which I'm not looking forward to but should not be much of a problem with some help.
BK

:) Hi and welcome to your new and extended "Family"... 8) We are all here to help you get your "V" up and running AND to get as much fun out of your Vision, as possible...with-out selling "The Ring" :o ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

:) Do your-self a favor...Contact "Lucky" and get one of his C.D's...It's a workshop manual as well as a parts manual. It also has a lot of helpfull hint's, picture's, etc, to help you with your project.

The starter clutch work is not a big job...a lot of us have been there ::)
A wander thru' this link, may be of help... http://ridersofvision.net/forum/xzindex.php?topic=5851.0

???...Have question(s)...Just ask away... 8)

:) Congratulations on rescuing a great bike...post some picture's... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

h2olawyer

Greetings & welcome!

Starter clutch is an easy fix.  Toughest parts are getting the flywheel off & getting the side cover sealed on reinstallation.  Hope to see pics soon.  Good luck with your new toy!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

hfarley

Welcome! You will find that this forum will soon become one of the first places you go to when online. Lots of tips, tricks, and advice here. Everyone here is really nice and always seem willing to help a fellow Visionary! Welcome aboard!
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

Mutt

Welcome to ROV archangel! Where in OH are you located? I'm heading to Dayton next week via hyw 35 up from W. Virginia. Are you along that route anywhere? I have a limited amount of parts but what I have you are welcome to. I would be glad to load them up while heading that way. I will be staying in the Springboro area (south) of Dayton starting Wednesday night through Sunday morning.

Let me know

MUTT  :)
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Lucky

Archange,
fair to warn you, Mutt's avitar is not an accurate representation  ;D ;D ;D ;D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Mutt

Well, not of me but my wife! She'll be with me though. Her name's Christina.  :)

kiawrench

welcome  arch,,, - to be fair, the only hard thing about fixing a vison is the way others treat you when it is done, they will call it a bmw, an old moto guzzi, all sorts of things, until they see yamaha stamped on her bottom.

we have metal workers, plastics fabricators ,scroungers ,and walking parts depots, all as members , as well as the most tech information in the world on these bikes.

we have riders of all sixes, ,ages ,and financial status, ,but we are all in the same situation, we have,we love them , and we fix our own. i can honestly say, there is not a single issue you will have on your bike that hasn't been dealt with by someone on this website. any questions will be answered, most likely by 4 or 5 people ,usually within hours of posting, so dont be afraid to ask,  even our female riders/members are repairing the bikes on thier own- so ,welcome, have fun, and lets get your bike running and on the road !
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Mutt

arch....to be fair....Lucky's avitar is an accurate representation of herself.

Mutt  :)

archangelof2003

Sorry Mutt I'm about an hour north of Columbus so I won't be on your way....but I do like your style!  It seems that I have come to the right place then cause I'm a fabricater/scrounger/purveyor/scalper/collector as well!  I spent about 5 hours today detailing my vision so I could get a better look at what I'm up against and I have to tell ya....I should be incarcerated for stealing this bike at $125!  Everything is there, side plates, covers, horn cover, all the details!  This thing is real clean - at least clean enough to work on- and I put my shop powersport jumper battery in and she turned over!  My battery is real low (got one on order from my dealer- live and die by Yuasa) so I'll get some fresh oil (not too much!) and a filter in her before I even think about fresh gas.  Took a good look at the carbs and they look great-clean.  I have to tell you all that I don't think this project is going to be as big as I anticipated.  This could not have come at a better time either because I just finished going through a 74 ST90 that I pulled from a barn for $25.00 and getting it clean and running.  Spent the last 4 weeks in the house going crazy with no garage projects....not anymore!  The weather is turning nice soon and I get to habg out in the garage again!  ( At least untill dark when I can go in and chat with my new Vision groupies...!)

I'm gonna dig this bike.  It's like what those snobby Honda Hawk guys don't want to admit- a Yamaha V-Twin!
"May the devil know we're dead a half an hour after we're in Heaven..."

Night Vision

before you put some new oil in, I'd pull the starter and open it up to see if it's full of oil... the starter nose seal is an easy job.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

Quote from: archangelof2003 on April 08, 2007, 12:38:49 AM
....I should be incarcerated for stealing this bike at $125! 

I got you beat.  I paid $1.00 for mine.  Cant really divulge what I spent to get her where she is now but it was worth it. ;D

Welcome to ROV!  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

zore

Quote from: DaveTN on April 08, 2007, 09:43:21 AM
Quote from: archangelof2003 on April 08, 2007, 12:38:49 AM
....I should be incarcerated for stealing this bike at $125! 

I got you beat.  I paid $1.00 for mine.  Cant really divulge what I spent to get her where she is now but it was worth it. ;D

Welcome to ROV!  ;D

David

HA!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111 mine was FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Scott_Mc

...OK...It did cross my mind.  But I would never tell her that! 

BK

HA-HA....sounds like you've got a good girl there!  Welcome.  We won't tell her either ;)
Owned an `82 XZ for 22(?) years!
Current 2-`85 and 1-`86 GS1150E/ 1-`85 GS700ES
Wanted:-ST1300 :-O !!

don_vanecek

Welcome! Certainly a good sign that she turned over for you. Many of us have bikes that sat for years and although needing seals and carb cleanings, tires, etc, the good thing is most of these engines come back to life with out touching them internally. I am the original owner of mine but she still had almost a ten year rest but now runs as good as new.

And don't tell my wife either what I have put into getting the V back into shape.

haunter

Quote from: Scott_Mc on April 08, 2007, 10:33:09 AM
...OK...It did cross my mind.  But I would never tell her that! 

BK

HA-HA....sounds like you've got a good girl there!  Welcome.  We won't tell her either ;)

no kidding!

and welcome!
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.