News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Sheared off!!!

Started by packman85, April 07, 2007, 03:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

packman85

SO I was attempting to take the rear wheel off to inspect the rear break shoes and in my attempts to lossen the pinch bolt over the rear axel I sheared it off.  The is still at least a 1/4 inch section of the bolt in the hole.  So What I was thinking of doing was drilling it out and instead of tapping new threads just putting a nut on the end of the bolt with some lock tight and perhaps a cotter pin.  Good Idea, bad idea?
"Real men don't need full fairings, go naked or go home!!"

h2olawyer

The V i just bought had the exact same problem sometime in the past.  A previous owner put a slightly smaller bole & nut on it.  Works OK but I plan on putting new hardware there.  Going with stainless bolt & locknut.  That should be sufficient for the application.  Don't see how a cotter pin would help beyond keeping all the parts should they loosen up.  If the nut & bolt loosen, the axle could still slip whether the hardware was merely loose or missing entirely.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kiawrench

packman- before you try to drill it out, soak the broken bolt in PB BLASTER- then get a left hand twist drill bit. most of the time, it will just come right out as you drill.

if that does not work, go to sears, get a set of square "easy -outs"  drill it out to size, and use the easy out to remove the end piece.

if all else fails, drill it out squarely, then tap it to the next size bolt up, or use the thruough bolt method.  the sequence should be bolt, washer, into axle slot then a washer, and nut,,,, once torqured correctly , add a lock washer , and a second nut,, and torque this last nut against the first . is solid ,and easy
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

inanecathode

Try heating the surrounding metal, getting a good bite on it with an easy out, then as soon as you're ready, blast the piece that's stuck with liquid nitrogen from a duster can. Should thermally shock it enough to remove it.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

MotorPlow

Quote from: packman85 on April 07, 2007, 03:07:10 PM
SO I was attempting to take the rear wheel off to inspect the rear break shoes and in my attempts to lossen the pinch bolt over the rear axel I sheared it off.  The is still at least a 1/4 inch section of the bolt in the hole.  So What I was thinking of doing was drilling it out and instead of tapping new threads just putting a nut on the end of the bolt with some lock tight and perhaps a cotter pin.  Good Idea, bad idea?

I did the exact same thing when I 1st got my Vision. I drilled it out and put a stainless Bolt and nut in there and have been riding that way for 4 years now without any problems.

h2olawyer

The through bolt is the set-up used on the forks - no reason it shouldn't work on the swing arm.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.