After Market Air Filter / Intake

Started by Minitor911, April 10, 2007, 09:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minitor911

I looked around and saw some of you guys posting about after market airfilters, but I wasn't sure what others impressions are. Do any companies make a decent filter / intake that would add any performance to the bike? A free breathing bike is a more powerful bike.
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

Night Vision

you basically have three choices:

OEM - correct replacement around $30 a pop I believe
Uni - aftermarket foam/oil filer that can be cleaned/serviced around $30 + maint.
MYO - (make your own) using a car filter glued to an old OEM base... $5 a pop

some say the UNI  / foam one may break down, but perhaps they were using detergent oil (see Reckon's post)...

I like the "growl" the uni gives the V used with the OEM pipes. I don't ride in dusty/dirty conditions so if the uni lets a couple more microns in ... so be it 

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

QBS

Make your own is the no brainer way to go.  Breaths better than OEM and almost as good as Uni.  Filters as good or better than OEM and much better than Uni.  Costs least of all.  Easy decision.

h2olawyer

I went with the UNI as well.  Some people have complained that it doesn't seal well - but that may have been an older production run.  The foam on the bottom of mine fits the airbox very well.

The throaty intake growl is an improvement.  You won't likely notice any performance changes no matter which filter you use.  The airbox is intentionally restrictive in an effort to make the carbs work better.  It is done to increase intake velocity - not volume. 

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.