"Just Place it on the center stand..."

Started by GlennInLouisville, September 14, 2004, 09:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlennInLouisville

"Just Place it on the center stand..."

Every procedure I read, this wording can be found in the first paragraph or so, creating an illusion of a step so basic it is hardly worth mentioning.  

For me, however, this is probably the hardest thing I've done with this bike.  Is there an easier way than lifting 300 pounds straight up while sliding a leg under the bike to set that centerstand down?   :-[    Oh my aching back.....

Superfly

I always stand next to the bike, put the stand down with my foot, and step and lift. the bike will roll right onto the center stand, no problem.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

GlennInLouisville

Maybe something is not right on my bike. When I stand on the left side and step on the bar coming off the centerstand, the bike wants to fall toward me.  

Superfly

It does take some pratice.  Just try left hand on the handlebar, right hand on the grab bar (the metal one attached to the frame) and step hard.  Try not to use your back too much, trust me on this one!!)

Blake

hmm..it shouldnt want to fall on you..  now im a bigger guy (200lbs)....oh...are you putting it on the centerstand when the bike is resting on the kickstand? it HAS to be off the kickstand and you holding it straight.

guaranteed way to work:

1.  hold bike up so its not on the kickstand..real easy to do when its at its balance point.
2.  stand on left side of bike facing the seat
3.  left hand on left handlebar to keep the bike stable, and right hand on the rear grab bar. (makes stabilizing the bike easy, and helps pull the bike on the center stand)
4. using your right foot, push down on the center stand till it touches the ground.
(5 and 6 are 1 fluid step)
5.  when the center stand touches the ground, lift your left foot off the ground so all your weight is on the center stand lever)
6. with all you weight on the centerstand lever, pull up on the rear grab bar (the one under the seat near the rear was put there for this very purpose), or just the regular padded passenger grab bars will work).

with a little bit (literally) of effort, the bike will literally roll onto the center stand.

hopes this helps

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

dcsob

Glenn,
Most people try to muscle the bike up using upper body. Works great if you are built like a power lifter, or have never bunged up your lower back, had the bike tip onto you, away from you(all great fun, now you have to pick it up). It usually ends in frustration and foul language, among other things.
Make sure the center stand is in contact on both sides (rock it side/side) you will know when it is in contact. Next - hand on grab bar. Tighten all those torso muscles front and back making the torso rigid. Use your leg to do the work, as it has the strongest muscles in the body on the average person. You can lift a fully loaded Goldwing this way, and not even breath hard.
Tip of the day: Don't use your back to lift.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter accusations'

gbranche

The Vision is actually quite easy to get up onto the centerstand. I used to have a Suzuki GS1000G that was a real motherfbear to get on it's stand, due to the weight of the bike and the design of the stand.

My method is similiar to Blake's (just a little different), and is the way that I used to teach it in the MSF course when I was an instructor:

With the motorcycle parked, resting on it's sidestand:
  • Stand on the left side of the motorcycle.
  • Put both hands on the handlebars, and straighten the front wheel (i.e. so that it is inline with the rear wheel.
  • Use your right foot to depress the center stand until it contacts the ground.
  • While maintaining weight on the center stand and both hands on the handlebars, raise the bike upright until both feet of the center stand are in contact with the ground. (You'll be able to feel it with your foot, and the bike will stabilize with four points of contact.)
  • Remove your right hand from the handlebar, and reach down to the handle/frame rail/etc. above the rear tire on the left side of the motorcycle.
  • Simultaneously step down with your right foot, and lift with your right hand, thereby separating the two. Use your left hand on the handlebar to stabilize the motorcyle as it rolls backwards onto the center stand.
  • Raise the sidestand, so you don't trip over it as you walk past the bike. (If you leave the sidestand down during this exercise, you have a "safety valve" if the bike should start getting away from you. All you have to do is lean back and let the bike come to rest on the sidestand again.)
  • Go get a cold one out of the fridge, to celebrate your accomplishment. ;D

The first couple of times, you may want to ask a friend to help stabilize the bike, until you get the hang of it. Alternately, I'm sure that if you went to your local Yamaha dealer, somebody there would be happy to show you how it's done. If you can't find anybody to show you, you've gone to the wrong dealership, and now know where NOT to buy your parts. :)

(i'd wish you good luck, but luck's got nothing to do with it. This is just one more skill that must be acquired in your journey to cycling Nirvana.)

Greg

jasonm.

I also have an '87 Venture @800+lbs. My Visions I lift as Blake said. I lift it with just 2 fingers under the grab rail. Otherwise using my whole hand as with the Venture the bike literally hops off the ground. The Vision is the easiest bike to put up on the center stand. Because most of the weight is in the front. NO, I am not a muscle head. Just a barely coordinated 180# seasoned rider having owned 10+ bikes(lost count),most larger than the Vision. Just remember your legs are at least 5 times stronger than your arms. You actually need very little arm strength to get it up. Pushing the stand with your right leg does 90% of the work. Keep your knee bent before pushing. It's like standing up. That's the only way I can describe it.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Lucky

I have a minor change in my approach, since i'm about 225lbs, I just put my weight on the right foot and lift with my right hand (guide really).

Hey guys, when should we tell him how to get it back down off the center stand?  ;D ;D
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Superfly

Yeah!! start the bike and put it in gear! ;D

Lucky

you meannie! keep giving advice like that & YOU can answer the frantic posts that starts "Help! my bike won't go!!!" lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

My method is just like Lucky's - ain't ballast great at times?

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Extent

Defenatly the easiest way I've found of being sure that the centerstand is dead on the ground is to rock the bike back and forth.  I put weight on the stand when it's still leaned over part way towards me and push the bike up to center till I feel the other side of the stand plant.  If you go a little far (remember you're not trying to push the bike over the other direction all the way  ;) ) then bring it back towards you again till you feel that side hit the ground again.  If you're applying enough weight to the centerstand it will automatically find the center itsself.  Then I just rock back with my body a little and let my weight (only 160# here) push it up, with a slight guide of my hand on the rear passenger bar.

If you don't have it flat on the ground w/ the stand before you start to lift it back then it's a lot harder.  And funnier for people around you. . .  :P  One of my buddies did that when we were out looking for bikes.  We were at a used bike yard and he had just had the owner show him how to put the bike up on the centerstand (we were all completely green)  He got back from a short test ride and tried to put it up and only had one side of the stand down.   Tiiiiiiiiip over.   Luckily she was in the back and didn't see, but it was embarasing enough for him as it was.  Thankfully that's the bike he bought anyway, so it was all good.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

GlennInLouisville

WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!

This is so simple now I feel stupid now for asking the question!  8)

Superfly

;DWe do like having fun (on any topics except stators.....) ;)