News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

AHHHH!!!!

Started by packman85, April 22, 2007, 04:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

packman85

So last week I was trying to balance my carbs with the 4 dollar manometer I saw on the forum.  All was going well, then after I had warmed my bike up and put the meter on the bike I fired it up,  when doing so it is my habit to rev it up to keep it from idling dead.  In doing that I sucked some of the hydolic fluid I was using in the manometer into the engine.  I imedeately shut the bike off to keep it from sucking more.  Ok, I figure it will just burn the fluid off when I start her up.  She wont start, the starter decided to die on me right there.  So I wait a week for a starter rebuild kit to come all the while with Hydrolic fluid in my engine.  Fixed the starter yesterday and tried starting her up today.  No joy.  Did the fluid completely screw me over or is it just being a bastard?  Any help? Please....

PS.  I just bought a Hein Gericke Jacket for 179$ originally 349$ @ Newenough.com, in there closeout section, screaming deal if anyones in the market for A nice leather jacket.
"Real men don't need full fairings, go naked or go home!!"

h2olawyer

Likely just being a bastard.  What exactly were you using in the manometer?  ATF is preferred as it is easy to see & burns off should any get sucked in.

If you know which cylinder sucked the oil in, you can remove the spark plug and try cranking it over.  That will let you know if you oil locked the cylinder.  If the engine turns over, then you're likely OK.  Otherwise, I'd say to check all your electrical connections & make sure your battery is fully charged.  If you can't get it to turn over with the plug(s) removed, try roll starting it.  (I know it won't start without the plugs.)  Just to see if the engine is rotating freely.  That eliminates a siezed engine as a problem.

My V sucked ATF into a cylinder once & all it did was make tons of smoke.  If the carbs are that far off, you will be amazed at how much better it will run after you're finished!

Good Luck.  I don't think you did anything serious to your V.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

louthepou

I really can't see how dropping a few drops of hydrolic fluid in the cylinder would damage anything. I'd look at the spark plug, just in case, but besides that...

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

YellowJacket!

try cleaning your spark plugs.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)