25 Year Celebration Call!

Started by h2olawyer, May 10, 2007, 09:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

What no guanella pass? South park?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

Guanella Pass has a long stretch of gravel as I recall.  Anything toward South Park makes for 300+ miles and the riding isn't quite as fun as the roads north of I-70.  Suppose I could make a South Park loop.  Winter Park to Berthoud Pass, Loveland Pass, over Hoosier Pass to Buena Vista, Leadville, Tennessee Pass to I-70, then up CO 131 to Toponas, over Gore Pass to Kremmling and back to Winter Park.  I'll run it through the mapping software later today to check the mileage.  It would be a mostly 65 MPH speed limit ride, though so longer miles would be done fairly quickly.  (Using speed limit to show it's primarily wide open, sweeping curves - not that we'll necessarily maintain that speed.)

That would be a beautiful ride as the entire western horizon from Buena Vista to north of Leadville showcases the Sawatch Range, including the Collegiate Peaks and Mt. Massive  & Mt. Elbert - the highest peak in the state @ 14,433 ft.).  Leadville sits at 10,000 ft. so the high peaks don't necessarily look that impressive.  However, Mt. Massive is a huge mountain - much larger than the slightly higher Mt. Elbert.  Hoosier Pass has great views of the Mosquito Rangwe with Mt. Lincoln, Bross, Democrat & Cameron.  All are over 14,000 ft. as well.  That part of Colorado is called "The Rooftop of the World" and has a National Scenic Byway designation.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

glennw

"Guanella Pass has a long stretch of gravel as I recall'

DRZ or V ... humm..
Half Mad Max

h2olawyer

That's a DRZ road, Glenn . . .

I took some great photos of some bighorn sheep up there a few years ago.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

I've been out just about every weekend doing a ride and have only done about 1/2 of those rides.  I might have to work out taking another day off work to get in on some of this action.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

glennw

Riding the V on a long stretch of gravel road would make me Sheepish! ::)
Half Mad Max

h2olawyer

A few years ago, I did the Snowy Range ride.  They were dropping the pea gravel for a new chip & seal surface. Went for about 5 miles through that crap - it was 4 - 6 inches deep in places.  Tried 30 MPH & 10 MPH.  Neither felt comfortable, but the slower speed made me feel safer, so I ended up at around 15 for that stretch.  Fast enough to keep the gyroscopic effects of the wheels working, while slow enough that should I have fallen, there wouldn't have been much damage to me or the bike.  In some places, there were some decent, wide ruts to stay in.  Not as greasy feeling, but the concentration level to stay in the bottom of the ruts was pretty intense.

H2O

Night Vision

Quote from: h2olawyer on June 07, 2007, 07:07:18 PM
That's a DRZ road, Glenn . . .

I took some great photos of some bighorn sheep up there a few years ago.

H2O

Quote from: glennw on June 07, 2007, 07:10:54 PM
Riding the V on a long stretch of gravel road would make me Sheepish! ::)

there you go with the sheep again.... :o

"going down to South Park just to see a friend of mine....."
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

ProfessorRex

Quote from: h2olawyer on June 07, 2007, 12:13:11 PM
Back-up bike is not a bad idea.  Mine will be ridden by ProfessorRex, though.

If you're silver one fails you can take the pumpkin and I'll head down to Boulder, they have great "Punch and Pie"! HA!  I'm excited!
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

glennw

Night Vision....What are YOU thinking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCRE9qOgbug

GlennW
Half Mad Max

kwells

www.wellsmoto.com

Night Vision

I'm curious about the velcro gloves?  ???
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

glennw

Velrcos glove keep ewe from getting away.  :-\
Half Mad Max

h2olawyer

For those attending, be prepared for a major personal message from me.  The property management folks are getting in touch with me and want credit card info to hold the reservations.  They will be calling all attendees this weekend to get payment info.  You will also be able to pay your share of the unit at that time.

You do not need to do anything until after you receive the personal message / email from me.  Those of you who do not respond to the message risk losing your reservation!  I will call everyone this weekend as well, to make sure you got the message & to see if the property management company has contacted you.  This is the big, important step in the reservations.  As such, you will get a forum PM, an email and probably a phone call from both me and the property folks.

More info to come.

H2O

don_vanecek

I assume I must give them the credit card info-or they will not want me-but am I correct in assuming I can pay them cash or travelers checks when I get there? (and then nothing goes on my credit card). I'm sort of like Dave, the wife doesn't need to know what my Visionholic life style costs and of course this would show on a future credit card bill, no problem as I planned to pay in cold cash-if that's allowable nowadays!   

I am a Visionholic, there is no cure, I go into withdrawal if my V breaks down or the ROV forum is hijacked! My Doctor told me that i can put myself in remission by riding my vision, ten days in a row, at least one hundred miles each day-I hope i can make it!

h2olawyer

Yes, don - you can pay by cash or traveller's check upon arrival.  The PM will be on it's way soon - I'm in the middle of doing a bunch of them right now.  Details in the PM.

H2O

h2olawyer

All people who are "in charge" of cono units should have received an email from me.  There is an attachment that outlines the total cost of the unit.  It is up to you to figure out how to divvy up the costs.

Those of you who received emails, and have not made other arrangements with me, please call Rebecca at Vacations, Inc. to give her a credit card # to hold the condo or pay for the unit - or your share thereof.

If you did not receive an email & think you should have, PM or email me - I can explain what's going on with your bed.

See everyone next weekend!!!

H2O

h2olawyer

Anyone who has  told me that they want to come up for a night or two during the celebration, but can't stay the entire week, the deal is:

We have room in a 3br condo for the 'transients'.  There are 4 of us in it for all or most of the week.

inanecathode, kwells, comatt & clockmaker (a non-ROV friend from Ft. Collins) have all mentioned the possibility of coming up for a night or two.  Alewulf has also mentioned the possibility of showing up, but not likely for a night.

The cost per night is a reasonable $35 per person - payable in cash or check to me.  I've even paid a little extra out of my pocket to make sure there's room for everyone who shows up.  All funds beyond my extra out of pocket expenses will be divided fairly among those who paid for the condo at the beginning of the week.

A full & open accounting will be available for these funds.

Any questions - just ask!

H2O

kwells

Do we have anything planned for sat the 23rd?

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Most people are leaving from the 21st thru the 23rd.  No planned rides, but that doesn't mean we can't do one!  I'm not a fan of weekend riding since the trafffic is generally heavier, but I'd be up for something.  Can't speak for anyone else, though.

H2O