News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

25 Year Celebration Call!

Started by h2olawyer, May 10, 2007, 09:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

The weather up in Winter Park can vary widely.  Even in mid-June, there can be light snow.  Most of the rain storms have been forming on the east side of the mountains - but Winter Park has been getting some as well.  If you have the room, I suggest bringing all the gear you can pack.  Daily temps can range from the upper 20s early in the morning up into the 80s - even on the same day.  Temps over the passes we will be riding often don't rise above the mid 50s this time of year.

Predicting mountain weather a week out is nearly impossible and is even more difficult when the seasons go from Spring to Summer.  It pays to be ready for almost anything.  If we get some snow while there, we will just start later in the day & do a shorter ride.  Chances are very good that it won't snow in Winter Park, but over the week, I'd say there's a 40% chance it could snow at elevations over 11,000 ft.  May not be a measureable snow, but it could be in the air.

Below is a link for what's average or "normal" for June.  However, the average or normal weather for any particular day may be off by 30 degrees or more!

www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/climatology/daily/USCO0412?climoMonth=6&from=vac_monavg

My last two Father's Day trips over Trail Ridge Road (over 12,000 ft in Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park) have been in sun, rain, hail, sleet & snow (all types on both trips).  I did use my rain suit.  I tolerate cold much better than heat, so I was fine with my lightweight long underwear under my leathers with the rainsuit over the top - and my normal leather riding gloves with lightweight liners.  I wear that same long underwear under my leathers regardless of temperature -  unless it's supposed to be 45 degrees or colder all day, then I go with the expedition weight.  You shouldn't need that much insulation, though.  Normally, the storms are scattered & you go from warm sun to cold rain & back again in a few minutes.  The sunny areas are generally much larger & more abundant than the rainy spots so you have time to dry out & warm up between showers.  They are more likely higher up, too.

I still say the best advice is to be prepared for anything.  Not likely to get up to 100 degrees anywhere we'll be riding, but the mid 80s is not out of the question & actually, even likely.

H2O

I'm taking every piece of riding gear I own (that still fits  ::) ).

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

I won't be able to come i guess. My v isnt done yet and i havent the time or the parts to fix it. My fucking boots STILL arent here (i swear to god if there was a way to stab people in the face over the phone i'd call bike bandits right now) i left my epoxy at my gf's house (an hour away) so the tank wont be done till tomorrow at the very earliest, no way it'll be painted in time, i dont have a front brake switch, carbs are still out of tune, fork seals are still un done (presumably empty of oil at this point), fuses and fuse box still not done (fuse box hasnt arrived yet)

Bleh, just. Bleh.
Guess it's a vision meet, not a vision and one neon meet :/
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

Come on up no matter the state of your V!  We could use some support / chase vehicle assistance anyway.  Kind of nice to have a cage with extra gear, emergency parts, WATER, fuel, etc.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

he'll be fine...I have the parts waiting at my place.  Saturday is the final push and then we'll be golden
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

Until the intake boots transform themselves into suzuki boots! Lol. No worries though, off to the parts bike to strip the boots out. Got the plastics out being painted, and the tank is curing the patches and awaiting paint.

h2olawyer

I have to put another coat of paint on the Tractor Friday.  Also need to do some grocery shopping, head to the dump to get rid of some yard waste, finish arranging a surprise, get the shell off the back of the truck, load the bikes (which includes making a couple new wheel chocks), do loads of laundry, and if there's time, maybe do a quick cleaning of the Silver V's carbs - see if the accelerator pump nozzels are clear.  Can do it with them still on the bike.

Tractor also needs some minor work that can be done in Winter Park on Sunday.  Didn't get the tapered steering bearings, but the steering just feels lose.  Wants to shake it's head a little but not to the point of creating a pucker factor.  Think tightening up the existing bearings should cure most - if not all - the loose feeling.  Also want to install the plastic trim on the front wheel - forgot to do that when I put the tires on it in April.   ::)

As don posted - the celebration has begun - in Nebraska!  Some guys will do anything to make the fun last longer.   ;D

H2O

comatt

So, I am definitely going to be coming up early Sunday morning for most of the day.  You guys are staying at Hi Country Haus north of downtown Winter Park, right? 

I am not exactly sure what time I will be up there, I'm thinking 9-10 am.  Maybe earlier if some people are going for a ride.  I don't want to miss everyone, so is someone going to have a cell phone that can call me or I can call them to see where everyone is?  You can just PM me the number and I'll PM mine back or I can just PM you mine. 

Should be great riding weather!

Thanks,
Matt

aka comatt, original I know!

kwells

Im also planning on being up there sunday for as much of the day as possible so long as I get my stuff done on saturday.  Im sure there are enough people around sund to get a short ride together.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Actually, we are mostly at Crestview.  They're right in 'downtown' Winter Park (if there is such a place . . .).  The main office for the property management company is in Hi Country Haus.

See you guys Sunday!

H2O

glennw

I'm on my way.. Tonight I'm in Richfield Utah.. such as it is
See ya Saturday!
Half Mad Max

h2olawyer

AARGGGGH!  What a day!

Had to get  all kinds of stuff so I can now haul 2 bikes in the truck.  Got 4 more tie downs, a couple eye bolts, another 2x4 to adapt the wheel chocks, and a Canyon Dancer so I can tie down the Silver V without marring the fairing.  However, the Canyon Dancer really chews up the foam grips.  May get a set of some other type of grips tomorrow and install them in WP.

Got the 25 year surprise finished, picked up a new set of plugs, caps & wire to make Tiger happy  ;)  and even found time to finish the painting on Tractor.  Have to put it all together while it sits in the truck in the morning.

Don't worry, Don - I picked up an extra set of caps & got 12 feet of plug wire so we can change them out on Sunday.  Took a special trip down to Loveland to get the ignition parts.  Yamaha locally doesn't stock generic replacements.  Added an hour to my errands.   ::)  Also, when I stopped to get the surprise, it wasn't ready the first time & the lumber yard I used to frequent has changed over entirely to a "Design Center".  So I went on to their actual lumber yard looking for a 2x4 stud.  Would have had to find help, order the board from the counter, wait for them to bring it to me, etc.  Just too much trouble.  So I went on to Yamaha for the tie downs & hoped to get the ignition stuff.  At least I had some success on my 4th stop of the day.  I was out by the interstate anyway, so I just headed South to Loveland to an independent dealer - they had the ignition parts in stock (as usual for stuff like that).  Cool, 2 successful stops in a row!

Then back North to Ft. Collins & Home Depot for the truck end of the tie down stuff - the 2x4, eye bolts and large washers.  OK - back to 50% success rate per stop.  Then back to see if the surprise was ready.  Had to wait there for about a half hour & it was all set.  Finally, most of the errands were done.  All I had left was to take a bunch of bags of yard waste to the dump so I have a place to store the pickup shell.  Finally, by 3:30, I was ready to paint the two large Tractor parts.  Finished cleaning the gun & stuff around 6:30.  My friend showed up at 7 after teaching the Beginning Rider Course all day down in Denver, so he was really whipped.  We removed the shell & loaded the bikes between 7 & 7:45.  Friend had to leave at that point.  Took another hour to get the chock system modified & the bikes tied down.  Tying down a bike alone is not easy - especially when you have two bikes in the bed of the truck.  Just very little room to maneuver my large frame around back there.  They're in & tied down, but I want to do some modification to the center tie down points in the morning before I leave for WP.

Just had to vent a bit.  Just feels like a VERY long day.  I still need to do laundry tonight.  Tomorrow morning, I pack the tools and some spare parts, tinker with the tie down system a bit & I can finally leave for WP.  Should be up there by mid afternoon.  Then it's down to Denver to collect Professor Rex & back to WP to stay for the week!!

Glenn - I've stayed in Richfield several times.  Nice place to stop for the night.  See you tomorrow!

H2O

inanecathode

Looks like all systems will be go at camp Inane. Just have to get the carbs dialed in with kwells, finish painting the tank and fender and i'll be golden. Oh, did i mention i put in my shiney new fuse box and fuses? I'll show em to you guys, this fuse box is PERFECT for the V. It literally screws right in where the old one was.

Lucky

Well guys, (& gals) congrats!  I hope you all have a safe & fun time.  get some cool video of all those rumbling Vees!  wish I was with you, & think of me when your sittin around later with a 'pop'!  :D

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

inanecathode

I'll think of darth vader on a scooter, and giggle.
And noone will know why....
I can see everyone edging away from inanecathode now...

h2olawyer

Well --

My dad is having some post surgical issues.  Probably after effects of the anesthesia, but maybe a low grade infection.  Not sure exactly when I'll make it up to Winter Park at this point.  If not today, then tomorrow (hopefully).  I can't leave him with just my mom to take care of him in his current condition.  We're taking him to see a doctor this morning (if we can convince him to go - he doesn't think anything is wrong).

H2O

kwells

sorry to hear about complications. HOpe it all works out.  Lemme know if you need a hand with getting stuff together. If needbe I could come out that way.

www.wellsmoto.com

comatt

I hope everything is alright with your father and he recovers soon. 

comatt 

Night Vision

maybe he doesn't "think" anything is wrong because he knows you have this meet going on and he doesn't want to inconvenience you...

tell him after he goes to the doctor's, you'll feel much better, because if he doesn't go, all you'll do is worry about him and not enjoy the festivities...

if that doesn't work... tell him either he goes to the doctor, or he rides bitch :o
up to WP so you can both have a good time...

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

Well - dad is back home.  Nothing seriously wrong.  They discovered a low grade urinary tract infection & are treating it with antibiotics.  Those pesky things are notorious for causing agitation in senior citizens.  Should be all gone in a few days.  They even gave him a CT scan to check for a stroke & that came back negative.  ;D Gave him a thorough going over.

I'm headed up to WP tonight.  The flights into Denver are delayed a couple hours due to heavy weather so I'll be collecting Rex at around 10 tonight.  Should be in WP by midnight or shortly thereafter!

Thanks all for your well wishes & offers of help.  Greatly appreciated!

H2O

h2olawyer

The Colorado contingent will be in & out on various days.  Later in the week - Wed or Thur may have the most, but get here whenever you can!

H2O