New Poll: Safety equipment

Started by admin, September 05, 2004, 09:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Blake

Just a little on my gear..

everytime i go on a lengthy ride, i have the boots with ankle coverage, jeans, leather chaps, nice thick leather jacket, full face helmet, and thick reinforced sport biker gloves.

However i will say some days when i just riding the 2 minutes down a back road to school....shorts, tennis shoes, novelty helmet, leather jacket (most days)....

Blake

"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

h2olawyer

My gear combo isn't posted for a vote so I'll explain it.

Full armored textile jacket & pants (zip together)
Gloves: ?either armored or heavy buckskin
Full Face Helmet
Logger style heavy leather boots (designed for cycle use)

If I'm tuning in the garage & want to test ride, I will go with just my helmet & gloves (always heavy, long pants & at least tennis shoes - no sandals!) but I never leave my cul-de-sac or get out of 2nd gear. ?If I'm headed out on the roads, it's either full gear or I drive the truck. ?If it's real warm, I'll sometimes ride with heavy pants instead of the armored synthetics but that is my only conscession to the heat.

You never know when someone will pull out in front of you or if there's sand / gravel on that next turn. ?Ride safe, have fun & come home alive & healthy!

Thanks, Ron, for getting a little safety thinking going.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Venture

At the very least, I've always considered the best place to start with safe riding is by wearing a full face helmet. Like I tell my wife and kids...if a small stone puts a big chip or crack in my van windshield (and it has three times now!), just imagine what that small stone would do to my unprotected face. I was out riding with a buddy years ago when he took a bird on his leg. Darn near threw him right off his bike. You can never be too safe. Expect the unexpected!!!

kiawrench

after all of my little mishaps; ie caddys and old ladies, bee stings ,etc.  i will not ride without something else providing a sacrificial surface.
 full face, good set of leathers(summer weight and or winter weight
  gloves, summer gloves are elkskin from wally world
winters are insulated from harley shop, full gauntlet
clear shield in helmet, clear shield on fairing
 first aid kit and personal medications in right pocket of fairing
 small set of tools and bike jumpers in left pocket to balance fairing

in saddle bags , i keep rain suit,dry socks ,regular tool set ,tire tools and a good tire pump  on other side, i keep second rain suit, bike papers and insurance kit in waterproof kit.
  if i ever find a good trunk to complete my set i will carry a second full face there for any possible second riders
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

GA_Wolf

I have to qualify my answer..
I wear a full face helmet and boots, gloves, and a leather jacket of varying weight, depending on the temp...sometimes I don't wear a jacket...as it gets rather hot and humid in GA. ?When I can afford a mesh armoured jacket I'll get one. ?But I agree..you should dress for the crash not the ride....
I did see some armour that just straps on..may look into that..that way I can wear it over a tshirt or under a jacket or rain suit.

David, I'll do my best to get that trunk in the mail to you this week.

kiawrench

eric- know we love ya man,, whole family,, even oreo !
        dont forget ,i still need to repay your kindness, so keep me in mind if you need something .
      seeingred is back, so watch for her,, no fair keeping all the riding time out there,, come on out as a group to the beach- fall bike week coming up. our Vs will be be a thing to see   a whole group of bikes that cant be fixed in any bike shop around here,,,lmao
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

RBFD415

Just my two cent worth- my background is fire/EMS (Emergency Services), I've seen my fair share of auto and moto wrecks, which leads me to this- if you ride with anything less than good heavy boots your "NUTS"!
You don't want to see what can happen to your feet in even a minor mishap! If you mess up your feet your looking at months, if not years of painfull rehab and disability!

Think before you hoop on with running shoes and shorts.

Yes- I wear a full face helmet, gloves and as I said good heavy boots.

Can someone enlighten me to the current state of the art with the "armor" jackets etc. Also whats the current best gloves. I've just gotten the ol' Vision back on the road after ten years of sitting- and I'm still using my old helmet and gloves- whats new and good?

Good thread!

Extent

If your helmet has been sitting for 10 years as well you should probably replace it.  I think the number is every 5 years, based on studys they did on highway patrol MC helmets, after 5 years it was difficult to determine if it retained any of it's protective qualities.  Even helmets that passed visual inspection were found to miserably fail impact tests.

Alpinestars has some nice jackets, and Dainese as well, tho Dainese is the expensive Italian leather.  Some manufacturers are using soft foam armor, that moves easily but when impacted at high speeds it dosen't give away.  I don't know how proven it is to work, and I prefer nice hard armor myself.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

h2olawyer

Hi RBFD -

I tried on tons of helmets last summer.  Buy a good one - but make sure it fits!  After trying on Suomy, Shoei, Nolan, HJC, Bell & several others, I decided on a HJC CL-14 to replace my well worn 22 year old Bell Tourstar.  It fits great & has lots of ventilation - which the Bell sorely lacked.  For me, the HJC fit best - even over the higher priced offerings.  That is the only reason I chose it.  For the helmet, $$ was not a factor for me - even though the HJC is substantially less expensive than either the Shoei or Suomy.

As for armored jackets - first choice should be leather.  That being said, the newer textile jackets are well worth looking into.  Try to find some CE certified armor - no matter what type of jacket you buy.  I found a cordura Fieldsheer Glen Scott earlier this year that I really like (and bought).  There again, try lots on and see how the armor fits your 'vulnerable' areas.  (elbows, knees, shoulders, back)

Comfort & protection is a delicate balance.  If your gear is not comfortable, you will be less likely to wear it.  From what I've read & experienced, go for impact protection first, then look at abrasion resistance.  Leather is by far the best material for road rash protection but the comfort range is not all that great - even with perforations.

Couldn't agree with you more about good boots.  Gloves - again try for heavy but good fit.  Summer weight - buck or elk skin are good choices.  I have buckskin that I wear a lot but I also have a pair of Icon Hooligans that get a fair amount of use.  The Icons are armored & high quality but they don't fit my fingers well - XXL is still too short.

I spent a couple months in total going to all the various cycle shops in northern Colorado, trying on all the gear they offered.  I didn't buy until I was sure what I was buying would be reasonably comfortable & very protective.  I bought some locally and some over the internet.  Am very happy with my choices.

Hope this has been of some help!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.