News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Replacing My Clutch Cable

Started by ithinkitsbroke, May 11, 2007, 12:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ithinkitsbroke

Can anyone offer any help / tips on installing a clutch cable?  Keep in mind I've never done this before.  Anybody have any helpful diagrams or a how-to?  I searched the board, but couldn't really find anything related...  ???

Check out my internet radio station ~ 88.9 The Buzz - Your Rock Station!

ithinkitsbroke

Help?

Anyone?

Kinda' in a rut and this is a vital process to getting my bike started up, I think.  :D

Night Vision

three things:

there is the adjustment knob on the clutch lever perch that needs to be loosened all the way and the slot that needs to line up with the cable so the cable can slide out....

there is a thin metal (safety) tab on the lever under the case that needs to be bent out.....

and you might have to wedge a screwdriver or wood block on the bottom lever to get some more slack....

that's a tough thing to explain....

routing is kinda tricky too... there is a loop on the frame by the radiator the cable is supposed to go through. I don't use it because I have 83 risers and an 82 cable...

you might have to reroute it a couple of times to figure the best route.... and that means taking one end off or both a coouple of times....

so you get more practice  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

ithinkitsbroke

Ahhh, okay.  I'll go toy with the routing more, but I see the little tab you're talking about...  Is there a certain way the end of the cable snaps or slides into that little rectangle piece with the tab?  This is a pain, mostly because there was no original clutch cable on there to see how it was all hooked up.  Also, my spring loaded thing under the case is kinda' sticky and doesn't pull back very well on it's own.

Also, when I pull in the tab that is supposed to engage the clutch, there isn't a whole lot of travel, is that normal?  Also, it doesn't seem as the clutch is engaging when I pull it out by hand because when I try to turn the back wheel, it's still in gear.  ??? I'll try to get a video of it and maybe someone can look at it for me...  ;D  I'll be back in in a few.

Night Vision

yeah I realised after I posted you were only putting one on and not replacing...

Quote from: ithinkitsbroke on May 11, 2007, 02:13:05 PM

Is there a certain way the end of the cable snaps or slides into that little rectangle piece with the tab? the end of the cable that has the smaller if the two round thingys goes into the rect piece, the other end matches the hole in your clutch lever, I forgot to say that the bottom end goes though the cast hole in the case first

my spring loaded thing under the case is kinda' sticky and doesn't pull back very well on it's own. that's because I think your clutch pack is frozen up from non use. you might try stomping it into gear and rocking it back and forth a few times

Also, when I pull in the tab that is supposed to engage the clutch, there isn't a whole lot of travel, is that normal? not quite sure what you're saying  Also, it doesn't seem as the clutch is engaging when I pull it out by hand because when I try to turn the back wheel, it's still in gear.  ??? the rear wheel should only spin if you're in neutral or dis-engaging the clutch

finding neutral with out using the clutch is difficult...

I don't know if that helps any...  ??? after 2:pm est my brain is full.... then I go home, flush it with a ride and then a few pops... ya gotta catch me early in the am or later in the pm  :D
;D

ithinkitsbroke

Actually, that does help, but I'm still having issues (Of course lol).  I'm uploading a video right now and it should be done uploading by the time I finish this post...  ;)

Anyways, when I pull out the bottom clutch cable connection-contraption thing, it should be as if I'm pulling on the clutch lever...  And if that's right, I should be able to free spin the rear wheel, correct?  When I do that, it's still acting like it's in gear and I can rock the tire back and forth, but it's still catching the gears.  If I can get the clutch cable on correctly, I can at least figure out if it's really un-engaging or engaging, etc...  I've tried 'working' the clutch as much as I possible could without a cable because I was pushing the bike around the back yard the other day trying to free anything up inside that might be hanging.  And yeah, getting it into neutral is a pain in the ass!  :o ;D  Also, these bikes are 5 speeds, correct?  I'm only counting three clicks when I play with the shifter, but maybe somethings not quite right since I don't have the clutch cable on yet...

Here's the video I mentioned previously:

kwells

hmm I'd start with a good dousing of brake or engine cleaner!
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Night Vision

yeah, I see that the lever is moving way too easy... the connector does swivel like that though.

they are five speeds, but again, rowing through the gear box without the bike moving is difficult..

were you pushing it while it was in gear? or neutral? pushing it around in neutral won't really do anything except get you tired!

is there oil in your engine?
;D

h2olawyer

Agreed with kwells.  Much more pleasant to work on relatively clean parts.

NV is right about the gear selection while bike isn't moving.  (as well as the remainder of his post)

Your clutch actuator moves much more freely than either of mine.  I need to use a wrench as a lever between the engine case & the lever to move it.  Can do it by hand, but it takes quite a bit of effort & digs into my hand.

My guess is that the clutch pack is frozen  up or the clutch is misadjusted.  Figure out the clutch cable routing & installation & get the cable installed.  Then, you may need to push the bike around a bit to get the clutch freed up.  Also, consult the Haynes manual, the shop manual or Lucky's CD (which contains these volumes) for clutch adjustment procedures to make sure it is properly adjusted.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

ithinkitsbroke

I'm going to go see if I have either cleaner, but I think I used it all the other day.

As far as pushing it around, it was in gear when I did it, since everytime I found neutral and started t push it, it'd pop back into gear.  So far, it's staying in neutral, but it's on the center stand - When I put weight back on the bike and go to push it, hopefully it doesn't start popping back into gear again.  I also called my dad to see if he'd stop by for a bit and help me play.  I'm starting to get a little bummed out / discouraged about the bike, especially since all I want it to do is start and run for a few seconds. Money's real tight - I mean REAL tight right now, my sewer decided to clog and back up this morning so I also need to work on that I don't have a good motorcycle battery that keeps a charge, nor do I have jumper cables to jump from my car battery to test the bike out - Just this damn car charger.  >:( :-[  (Sorry for the rant.)

I'm going to go take the bike off the center stand and try to push it around a bit more and work through the gears to see if that will free anything up.  I also gotta' check for more parts cleaner.

As for the manual, I'm waiting for Lucky's CD that's in the mail right now. :D

ithinkitsbroke

Well, I got the cable all installed and functioning!  My dad stopped by and pointed out that I had the cable backwards.  ??? ::) :D  Oops.  It made much more sense after I started turning the cable around.

Anyways, I got the clutch operating and it still seems to pop out of neutral quite a bit and I have a hard time finding neutral even when I'm wheeling it around a bit... Then I realized I only have 1 quart of oil in the bike.  I'm assuming the clutch uses the same oil as the motor does?  I filled it up the rest of the way and I might toy with it some more a bit later, but now I have a couple things to run out and do that are non-motorcycle related.  :-\

h2olawyer

Correct - the clutch & transmission share the oil with the engine.  That's why using automotive oil in most motorcycles is highly discouraged.  Glad you got things "turned around" and working.  Stay patient!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

Quote from: ithinkitsbroke on May 11, 2007, 05:45:39 PM
Then I realized I only have 1 quart of oil in the bike.  I'm assuming the clutch uses the same oil as the motor does?  I filled it up the rest of the way

???...Just how much oil ??? 

Total amount 3.4L, 3.6 U.S. quart's or with-out an oil filter change 2.4L, 2.5 U.S. quart's... :)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

Even when oil levels are correct and the clutch cable is set up right and the planets are perfectly alligned, it can still be a bugger to find neutral.  Oh, unless you are accelerating from a traffic light and you think you are is second and pop the clutch and see the rpm's go up but not the speedo.  :o  :o  :o  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

Quote from: DaveTN on May 11, 2007, 09:03:10 PM
Even when oil levels are correct and the clutch cable is set up right and the planets are perfectly alligned, it can still be a bugger to find neutral.  Oh, unless you are accelerating from a traffic light and you think you are is second and pop the clutch and see the rpm's go up but not the speedo.  :o  :o  :o  ;D

David

Did that on the way home from the hockey game tonight.   ::)  Just love 3 - 5 MPH stop & go traffic . . .

H2O

inanecathode

Quote from: h2olawyer on May 12, 2007, 12:50:56 AM
Quote from: DaveTN on May 11, 2007, 09:03:10 PM

David

Did that on the way home from the hockey game tonight.   ::)  Just love 3 - 5 MPH stop & go traffic . . .

H2O

In my cage i can just sense my clutch glazing...
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

kwells

thats why lane splitting was invented
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Lucky

as mentioned before, these clutches are usually trouble free (how many miles showing on the odo?)

i suspect once you have the engine run & a couple of quick oil changes in (use a detergent oil for the first time, run it for a week or so) & the clutch adjusted properly, it'll start behaving...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ProfessorRex

Quote from: ithinkitsbroke on May 11, 2007, 03:57:58 PM
I'm going to go see if I have either cleaner, but I think I used it all the other day.

Not to jump too far off topic, and I've had great success with a bucket of warm dawn dish soapy water and a brush that was  ::) ... used for dishes.  Not quite as good as engine cleaner but also far far friendlier and cheaper.

-Rex
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

ithinkitsbroke

Quote from: Tiger on May 11, 2007, 06:50:04 PM
Quote from: ithinkitsbroke on May 11, 2007, 05:45:39 PM
Then I realized I only have 1 quart of oil in the bike.  I'm assuming the clutch uses the same oil as the motor does?  I filled it up the rest of the way

???...Just how much oil ??? 

Total amount 3.4L, 3.6 U.S. quart's or with-out an oil filter change 2.4L, 2.5 U.S. quart's... :)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
:D

I didn't mean literally filling it up the rest of the way, I just meant my remaining two quarts I had.  The level's up to the top line on the side case oil window - I'm assuming that's the full level.

As a side note, my battery's toast.  My dad offered me a fairly new (but old to him) battery from his Goldwing to use as a 'jumper' or 'test' battery so I'm going to try to swing by his house later to grab it so I can try starting her up again with the new plugs and a clutch cable, etc...  :D