News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Replacing My Clutch Cable

Started by ithinkitsbroke, May 11, 2007, 12:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

Lucky's CD should be a required purchase for every Vision owner.  Lots of great info.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

ithinkitsbroke

Quote from: h2olawyer on May 13, 2007, 10:34:20 PM
Lucky's CD should be a required purchase for every Vision owner.  Lots of great info.   ;D

H2O
Yeah, I'm still waiting on mine.  Should be here any day now...

As for a video, this is what it's doing.  Keep in mind that I now have the cable attached to the starter, it's not just hanging anymore...  ;)

When I get the aftermarket fuse block, I'm going to go through all of the connections with some emory cloth and electrical grease and make sure everything's cleaned up and fitting tight.

Oh and as for the starter solenoid, I've already had that off and all the connections are good with it...

Check out my internet radio station ~ 88.9 The Buzz - Your Rock Station!

inanecathode

Somethings breaking the connection in your starting circuit. Either the starter, the cable (it isnt bolted to the starter? por que?), the starter selenoid, or you have a dead/weak battery (very possible, i'd start there)
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

ithinkitsbroke

Quote from: inanecathode on May 14, 2007, 11:32:06 AM
Somethings breaking the connection in your starting circuit. Either the starter, the cable (it isnt bolted to the starter? por que?), the starter selenoid, or you have a dead/weak battery (very possible, i'd start there)
Quote from: ithinkitsbroke on May 14, 2007, 07:44:20 AM
As for a video, this is what it's doing.  Keep in mind that I now have the cable attached to the starter, it's not just hanging anymore...  ;)
;)

Well, when I took that video, I was using a battery charger at 50amps to try to 'jump' the bike to get it to do something.  I did have the starter spinning at one point, but that's all it was doing...  Like, freewheeling or whatever you call it.  Now it's back to doing this even when I tried it with a 'good' battery.  But I do agree that it seems like something's breaking the connection somewhere... Which is why I said I'm going to go over all of the electrical stuff before I try to get her to fire.

YellowJacket!

Good job on the CD's.  Once you get them, in the Haynes manual there is a great section about electrical troubleshooting.  Particularly the relays.

Hang in there.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

inanecathode

Quote from: ithinkitsbroke on May 14, 2007, 12:39:35 PM
Quote from: inanecathode on May 14, 2007, 11:32:06 AM
Quote from: ithinkitsbroke on May 14, 2007, 07:44:20 AM
;)

Well, when I took that video, I was using a battery charger at 50amps to try to 'jump' the bike to get it to do something.  I did have the starter spinning at one point, but that's all it was doing...  Like, freewheeling or whatever you call it.  Now it's back to doing this even when I tried it with a 'good' battery.  But I do agree that it seems like something's breaking the connection somewhere... Which is why I said I'm going to go over all of the electrical stuff before I try to get her to fire.

Bike really should be jumped off of a car battery that's been in a recently running car (heh). I dont know of a battery charger that can put out the amperage an even cold car battery can. Especially if the clutch cams are all crapped up, and the rest of the wirings been sitting/neglected for god knows how long. You need a good clean high amperage power source to properly diagnose the electrics.

ithinkitsbroke

Quote from: inanecathode on May 14, 2007, 08:03:22 PM
Bike really should be jumped off of a car battery that's been in a recently running car (heh). I dont know of a battery charger that can put out the amperage an even cold car battery can. Especially if the clutch cams are all crapped up, and the rest of the wirings been sitting/neglected for god knows how long. You need a good clean high amperage power source to properly diagnose the electrics.
Yeah, I tried that as well this past weekend and it didn't make any obvious difference...  Still got the crazy clicking from the starter solenoid.  I'm going to busy this weekend getting the car closer to being ready for the car show coming up soon, but I'm going to try to get the wiring all situated and maybe a new battery so I can play with it a bit more during the week.

inanecathode

Try putting the negative cable on the battery, and touching the positive directly to the starter terminal. Should only spark a little.