Remounting the Regulator

Started by Venture, September 07, 2004, 05:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Venture

Hi guys!  I know I read it somewhere but now I can't find it. Someone had stated that they mounted the regulator to the passenger foot rest. I am planning to do the same as I've just hardwired the stator/regulator connection. My question is, will the regulator ground out on the foot rest holder? Does it have to be insulated??  Thanks in advance.

Lucky

Te regulator is grounded internally thru the wire harness (thick black wire) 'grounding' the case makes no difference.

you'll have to fab up a bracket, easy enough to do, you may insulate for vibration if you wish, some here have.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Cdnlouie

A home depot 'T' bracket mounts the R/R on the top of the T and the footrest at the bottom. I ground just a bit of the inside regulator fin off to clear the frame to keep it tight and away from the passenger's foot. Aligned the top of the R/R about 1 inch over the aluminum footpeg mount.

That's my story. ?Been there for about a season now, no issues.

Louie

Venture

Hi again!   Thanks for the info guys. I think my only other concern about the location of the mount is if a passenger would be melting skin off! These things get really hot at times don't they?

GA_Wolf

I have mine angled inward just a hair to keep it away from the passengers foot, yet not near the swingarm arc.  Plus you passenger should have, at a minimum, real shoes on.

Cdnlouie

I have checked the heat from time to time while stopped in traffic and have never found it to be hot enough to burn my fingers.  I have burned myself on other regulators in the past, but have not noticed that the Vision R/R gets so hot that it would scorch flesh.  However, any long term contact would certainly melt some plastic or rubber shoes.  Nevertheless, there does not seem to be any reason for the passenger to come in contact with the regulator.  A small heat shield could easily be installed on the back side of the regulator if someone was concerned about this issue.  It really gets nice cooling in this location and installs with the current wire length of the regulator after soldering the connections to the stator.

Louie

Venture

Yeah, I had a real good look at that last night. I fabricated a bracket and test mounted it. Using the backside of the rear footpeg mount keeps it a safe distance away from the riders foot. All the other posts have reminded me that proper footware and pants should be a priority for passengers and drivers alike.  Thanks all!!!