News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Tank and electrics

Started by Aelwulf, May 15, 2007, 12:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aelwulf

As briefly mentioned my current tank seem sto have been coated with something that looks silverish and comes off kind of like latex paint peeled off a wall (if I'm thinkin' right).  Anyone know what type this might've been, and if the POR-15 heavy duty kit would take care of it?

For the electrics question, I remember seeing things places about 1) hard-wiring a manual toggle switch onto the handlebars for a fan switch & 2) cutting a governor wire.  Any tips/links on these?  Thanks. :)

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

YellowJacket!

Heres a good place to start for the rev limiter:  http://ridersofvision.net/forum/xzindex.php?topic=1356.0

As for the tank, I'm not the pro, but the silver color indicates that it might be POR-15, but I may be wrong.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

The silver tank liner is likely POR-15.  I used a product in my tank before I discovered this forum.  It looks & acts like POR, but that wasn't the brand.  Don't remember what it was.  Kreem was popular for many years.  It is a milky color & flakes off over time.  It also won't tolerate many gas additives.

For wiring the switch for your cooling fan - I ran a second ground wire from the thermo switch or fan - can't remember which at the moment, to a toggle on my dash (I have a full fairing).  The other side of the toggle switch runs straight to ground.  The OEM automatic fan switch interrupts the ground side of the circuit.  Adding in the second ground path allows the automatic switch to work as needed, yet you can also turn the fan on as a preemptive measure in slow or stop & go situations.

The rev limiter causes many people problems.  You can disable it by disconnecting the black with yellow tracer wire at either the TCI or Tach end.  To preserve the system, I recommend taking the back plate off the gauge cluster and unscrewing the connector for that wire at the rear of the tach housing.  Wrap the connector in electrical tape.  Problem solved & all wires / connectors still intact.  You can also remove that connector from the plug that enters the TCI.  Your other option is to simply cut the wire.  Easy, but destructive.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

zore

The liner in the tank could also be kreem.  It's a tank liner that seems to peep off like latex.  It's a silver or grey consistancy and sort of on the thick.  It's also a bitch to deal with when it starts to peal off.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

reckon

more than likely it's POR-15

and more than likely it was put in RIGHT on top of the previous KREEM liner, or just not done right (according to the instructions)

to strip a POR-15 liner try XYLOL (xylene) as a solvent,...if that doesn't work KLEEN STRIP gel paint remover will eat ANY paint or coating of of ANY surface,.....it'll just take nine gabillion rinses to get every last speck of that paint remover out, or it starts trying to remove your NEXT coating/liner.
"if it's stupid but it works, it's no longer stupid"

Aelwulf

Got a bead on a leakless tank for $145 plus shipping, although it has a fist-sized dent in it.  Tempted to give it a go and see how it is.

*thunk*
What was that?!

Night Vision

its always good to have a spare tank if you have the spare money... but, if you don't have the $145+, spend the money on the chems to clean yours out and seal it....

I'll bet a donut the other tank needs to be at least sealed.....

man that por-15 is getting expensive too... if you do get two tanks, you might want to try the caswell. it'll do two tanks for the price of one por
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Aelwulf

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. :) From what I've been seein' $150+ for an iffy tank and no pics is a bit high.  Might go biddin' on that Boulder one a bit.

*thunk*
What was that?!

kiawrench

just keep eyes open, plenty of tanks floating around for visions, just takes a bit of time to see a good one.

if you are really in a hurry, you can swap with a tank from different bike, just have to figure in the space you need under the tank -

i myself am looking to have bottom flange cut out of the tank for my bobber bike, then have another tank cut and meld the two and make something different for the bobber project . may do that when i get antoher tank ,just in case it goes wrong .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

inanecathode

Aelwulf, dude. If you're still needing a tank i know of a salvage yard that's 'practically down the street', i can call and ask how much they want for a vision tank (they have quite a few there, in various colors/states of disrepair). Lemme know what you want to do :D
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Aelwulf

I got one, thanks. :) Went ahead and got the one from Boulder off eBay to see how it'll work as a spare.  After seeing most of the ones that are available my own started looking better & better, posted pics in the Tech section to see if I'm overly optimistic on it or not. lol Thanks for the offer though. :)

*thunk*
What was that?!