Main Menu

Yikes, yics!

Started by inanecathode, May 18, 2007, 02:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

I've gotten my yikes box cut in half now, and sanded using a piece of glass and sandpaper (thanks h2o :D). I think they're reasonably flush, a few tiny flutters, but i think i'm ready to put a gasket in it.
About that gasket, i saw somewhere how to make one or how to get one, but i cant remember where? Any reason why i cant slather some RTV on the surfaces and call it good?

Maybe just slather it with jb weld?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

ps2/bikevision

ive yet to fix a yics, i have one now i just run with it. But you should be able to use regular gasket meteral. Should be able to buy a sheet 1 ft. X 1 ft. For about $2 at your local hardware store.

inanecathode

Im a little concerned, after looking at it, it looks like it'll seal up well, but im not sure how the middle will seal, and theres two slightly wider spots around the outside i'm worried about.

ps2/bikevision

one word. Yamabond. Sticky as hell seals a crank case really good. Dont see why it wouldnt work on a yics

inanecathode

I'll look in to that, sounds like it'd work. On that same idea, is there any reason jb-weld wouldnt adhere to the plastic the yics is made out of?

zore

If you get sick of monkeying around with thing, just plug the hoses and call it a day.  I took mine off after it started leaking again.  It runs great and surely can't cause me any more headaches.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

ps2/bikevision

i dont like using jb on plastic. Its just to hard and always seems to break. I think they make one now for plastic. That might work. I just figured you had some yamabond, hondabond, or threesbond, there all the same stuff. Its a must have in my opionion. I use it all the time for all kinds of stuff its farily thin, way thinner than rtv and if you get it on your skin dont let it dry. It wont come off eaisly. Im tellin you its really sticky.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: inanecathode on May 18, 2007, 03:48:57 PM
I'll look in to that, sounds like it'd work. On that same idea, is there any reason jb-weld wouldnt adhere to the plastic the yics is made out of?

I tried it on mine and it lasted about 6 months.  The YICS flexes a lot and after a few months developed a leak.  I was able to twist it and split it in half again.  I sanded it really good but the next time I fixed it, I used a generous application of high temp/high strength epoxy.  I held it together in a vice for 48 hours then sanded the edges and then applied another coating of epoxy along the edges.  It has held up for over a year.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiger

Quote from: zore on May 18, 2007, 03:53:09 PM
If you get sick of monkeying around with thing, just plug the hoses and call it a day.  I took mine off after it started leaking again.  It runs great and surely can't cause me any more headaches.

8) DITTO...Throw it in the garbage  ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

reckon

Quote from: Tiger on May 18, 2007, 06:16:16 PM
Quote from: zore on May 18, 2007, 03:53:09 PM

8) DITTO...Throw it in the garbage  ;)

even though I am making the YICS boxes (available after this weekend-finally), I ride my V with the thing plugged at the motor,..........I think my V runs slightly better (for my riding style) without the YICS

which should be re-named to the YVLS  Yamaha Vacuum Leak System

brand spanking new fully assembled YICS boxes for $45.00 plus shipping ($10 from each sale donated to this site)  I should have 5 or 6 ready to ship next week,....and I'll post this info on my YICS thread as well
"if it's stupid but it works, it's no longer stupid"

inanecathode

My V has the yics blocked off already with little nipples/clamps over the fittings on either cylinder. I picked up this particular yics unit for 5 bucks, and i'm interested if it'd make any difference on my bike or not. So the choices are down to jb-weld for plastic, yamabond, or a mystery high temp high heat epoxy (care to devulge the information dave? :P)

Can anyone get a definitive measurement on the kind of hose the yics likes? ___ID ____OD fuel injection hose?

reckon

Quote from: inanecathode on May 18, 2007, 06:28:11 PM
My V has the yics blocked off already with little nipples/clamps over the fittings on either cylinder. I picked up this particular yics unit for 5 bucks, and i'm interested if it'd make any difference on my bike or not. So the choices are down to jb-weld for plastic, yamabond, or a mystery high temp high heat epoxy (care to devulge the information dave? :P)

Can anyone get a definitive measurement on the kind of hose the yics likes? ___ID ____OD fuel injection hose?

to REPAIR a YICS box,..look no further than:  http://www.xz550.com/YICS.html

I followed those directions, and they worked well,..........for making a gasket just trace the outline of the YICS box onto some grey gasket material (at kragen, pep boys, NAPA, etc,..) then draw the inside lines about 3/16 from the traced line, for the center lines use the YICS box as a guide, and it's easy to just add the circled corners after that,...if in doubt make it slightly oversize, so you can trim it once you get it all cut out,...use a hole punch for the screw holes.

I would file the mating surfaces flat after the band sawing, and then SCRUB the mating surfaces with DAWN or other de-greaser,..use HOT water,...then SCRUB again with lacquer thinner(use a red scotch scratch pad) or brake cleaner (NOT carb cleaner) then wipe clean.
the plastic will be saturated with gasoline, and oils, so to get GOOD adhesion, it must be SUPER CLEAN,.......then I would just use a thin coating of SUPER RED gasket sealant (red is high heat, high chemical resistance) on BOTH sides of the gasket, DO NOT wait for it to set up, just goop one half of the YICS, stick on the gasket, goop the other half, and screw the thing together. (remember the top 2 screws get an o ring or gasket, or sealant, I am told this is for 82 YICS boxes only)

wait till the following day,  then attach two hoses to the nipples (aquarium tubing will work) dunk the YICS fully underwater, cap one hose and blow into the other,...you shouldn't see any bubbles, now let the capped hose go, and blow again, you should feel alot of resistance just like when i was capped.  now switch,..hold the other hose closed, and blow into the remaining one,...again no bubbles anywhere.

if you have a leak along the seam, split it open again, clean off all of the silicone, RE-CLEAN it again,...and re-apply the silicone and tighten the screws.
if you have a leak in the body of the unit, you can brush on some epoxy (hobby poxy, caswell sealer, or TAP plastics "super hard epoxy" and let it set up fully)

use 5/16 fuel injection hose for replacement YICS lines, and small screw clamps at each end.

done like this this is a fairly permanent repair.

inanecathode

Awesome, recon saves the day!
Thinking about firing up the belt sander and touching the cut halves to it for a short period of time, then doing the glass sanding to get them flat. I hack sawed mine apart, got a tiny wave in it on both sides thats a bear to get out by hand.

Kevin

I perfer soaking the yics box in very hot water.The box comes apart easily.

reckon

Quote from: Kevin on May 19, 2007, 12:58:08 AM
I perfer soaking the yics box in very hot water.The box comes apart easily.

nice tip,.......thanks

supervision

Are the two chambers the same size, or are their slight differences in volumne to compinsate for the different lenghts of hose to connect them to the engine?   
" border="0

YellowJacket!

Quote from: supervision on May 19, 2007, 10:28:13 AM
Are the two chambers the same size, or are their slight differences in volumne to compinsate for the different lenghts of hose to connect them to the engine?   

Somebody measured it a while back.  I think they are exactly 70ml each.  Its somewhere back in the archived posts.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

ProfessorRex

I measured it and made a post a while back, 70ml sounds right but honestly I'd have to find the old post myself to be certain.  I checked the volume using water and geometrically, and then double checked a few times.

I know for a fact that the YICS made a difference on my '82.  It leaked when I got it, I removed it, tuned bike; Sealed YICS re-installed, re-tuned: It ran noticeably better with it that without, and started more reliably. (now h20's 82 parts bike thanks to title problems)  The YICS was plugged on my '83 and I was too busy enjoying it for the 15days that i had it pre-crash to fix the YICS.  I can say however that there was a mild stumble at low revs present on the '83.  I am of the opinion that the YICS does help both the power output of the vision, and it's general running characteristics (idle, stumble, etc)
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

kiawrench

all i know is , all this talk of nipples and clamps ,,,,

uh anyway, i run with yics, ,cracked it open, couldnt fix it on first bike, then made my own. was just too ugly, so i found one, cracked it open and did the job correctly.
i used yamabond to seal it up, and replaced the hoses with fuel injection hoses, clamped it tight on both ends, . it starts easy ,and i dont get any stumble.
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

h2olawyer

I did the Lucky fix listed on www.xz550.com.  Decided it needed some tweaking so I sanded all edged totally flat & even using fine sand paper glued to a small piece of glass.  Then I assembled it, using the Ultra Copper RTV.  That repair has held for over 4 years, now & somewhere around 6,000 miles.

On the Pumpkin, I did the same thing, except I used Aviation Form-A-Gasket instead of the Ultra Copper.  Run 1 month & 25 miles, so I have no ideas of it's durability yet.

I agree, the low end & starting seems better with the YICS correctly functioning than if it is plugged off.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.