News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Yikes, yics!

Started by inanecathode, May 18, 2007, 02:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glyn

I tried without one but defn better with one fitted. Made mine out of nice heavy steel (like the Vision frame..) square section and covered with thin stainless steel. It'll take WW3 to crack it now.

trialattorney

I made the repair of the YICS, but only months later, it was leaking again. I finally made a set out of PVC and so far it seems to be working. My bike definitely runs better with than without and certainly runs better without leaks than with. Now you can feel the pulsing in the hose. Unfortunately, I seem to be having some starter problems, so the bike is down for a while. When I get the 83's carbs back from Lucky, I'm going to focus on getting the 83 on the road. Meantime, I'll swap the other 82 starter with my current 82 (the other 82 is not yet restored) to see if I can get it back on the road while I wait to get the rebuild parts or send the starter out for being rebuild.

YellowJacket!

Well, my supposed perfectly repaired YICS with the high temp/high strength epoxy developed both am internal and external leak so I decided to fix it.  I unscrewed all three screws and if came apart in two halved right in my hand.  So, the epoxy was crap.  I had also coated the outside of the seam with JB weld which pealed off like a vinyl sticker.
I decided to do it Lucky's way...or at least the way he has posted on xz550.com.
I sanded both halved to make sure there wasn't any epoxy or JB Weld residue left.  Then I put a little white paint on one side of the YICS and stamped out a template of the box.  Made the template to look like the one on Luckys site with the cross bars then used it to cut out my actual gasket.  I found heavy duty rubber fiber gasket material which is what I used.
Then I put a bead of red RTV on both halves of the YICS and sandwiched the gasket between them, put the screws back in and clamped it shut.  I'll let it sit overnight and trim off the squeezed out goo tomorrow and then put it back on the bike after doing a leak test.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Night Vision

so far my j-beed YICS is holding up after 5k plus miles (knock on wood). when I went to seal the outside rim, I used some fiberglass dry wall tape and embedded into the jb... no gasket inside whatsoever... just the jb on the divider

I have also done another one with the red rtv and gasket method as you described.. have not tested that one as it is for the project.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Glyn

YICS - You're In Constant Stress - with it. Any more?

h2olawyer

"Y" I Could Scream!!!

"Y" I Committed Suicide.   ::)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

Y - It - Can't - Start

Y - It - Could - Stumble
;D

h2olawyer

Yes - It's - Crappy - Stuff

Yesterday - It - Could - Start

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

Y (now) Its Completely Sealed!

The gasket and red RTV did a great job of sealing it up....for how long, remains to be seen.  So the next time it starts to run like crap, that'll be the first thing I check.

David

Glyn

Yep It's Cracking Slowly however...

supervision

I wanted to get away from plastic because of the extreem heat
" border="0

Tanno

My Vision is new to me. Got my first one on June 2nd (last week). My second one is still in search. This forum has been most helpful! Thanks a bunch for being here. I have poured and poured over the posts in the last week.

As far as this topic is concerned, I pulled my YICS box off and tested for leaks. Only to find that it was leaking from the case screws. I tightened them and no more leak. I must be lucky in that respect. I have had other issues which I can devulge into in another topic if someone wants to read it.
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

YellowJacket!

Observations:
Even with the very slight leak that my YICS had, it made a huge difference.  I took the bike out today and after not running for more than a week, it started right up...WITHOUT using the choke! - Thats a first for me with my V.
Acceleration is a bit better and the bog down that I had been having problems with is now gone.  It idled a bit high but a few turns of the idle adjustment screw behind the throttle linkage on the carb fixed that.  And now, idle is even more solid than before.  The only thing now is a bit of a backfire, not as bad as before, when I'm decellerating.  Im guessing that that is  slight adjustment that needs to be played with.
I had also changed form a braided 1/4" fuel line to a braided 1/4" fuel INJECTOR line which is quite a bit more stiff.
In summary, the YICS is totally intollerant of ANY leak whatsoever.  My guess is that even before I repaired it, the little leak that I found was probably much larger under operating pressures which are pprobably much more than mu lungs can stand blowing through the hose connected to it. :o

David

Night Vision

or: having that stiffer hose to the YICS is stressing it out more and contributing to leaks?

that was just a retorical question....

but those original hoses look like they could flex a little before they finally ended up split  :(
;D

ColinthePilot

Hey,
Great info but I got some important questions.
1. where is the YICS located on the 82?
2. I rescued my V from the junkyard and it ran, but it still runs like crap. I haven't touched the carbs yet (cleaned but not tuned) but other than that, how would I know if I have a bad YICS, other than taking it off and doing the water test?
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

h2olawyer

YICS is on the right side of the bike, mounted to the carbs.  Liik for a plastic (chromed) triangular shaped box.  There are ports on each head that have hoses running to the YICS.  If your YICS is missing, you need to make sure the ports are capped off.  Also, until you et your V running well, it is a good idea to cap off the YICS ports.  Save testing the YICS and hooking it up as your final tuning step.  It can make diagnosing other issues & synchronizing the carbs more difficult.

The water test is the best method to see if your YICS is leaking (it probably is).

H2O

ColinthePilot

From that info, i'm pretty sure its history. I've taken my carbs out and cleaned them and there was no YICS stuck to them, not to mention there were plenty of plugged lines when i got it and since then i've yanked all the vac lines and plugged them too. I'll double check to make sure the yics holes are plugged up.
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

kwells

It is not uncommon for the YICS to have been removed by a previous owner.  It actually doesn't connect to the carbs but to ports that come out of each head.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

ColinthePilot

found both ports just a few min ago. they're both plugged and I didn't do it, so must have been previous owner. So are there instructions for building the new ones? I've read that just about everyone here has built 25 different YICS's's's's
Colin

kwells

I currently have my plugged off but will get it back online soon
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com