News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Yikes, yics!

Started by inanecathode, May 18, 2007, 02:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dj

Quote from: ColinthePilot on July 11, 2007, 11:40:01 AM
found both ports just a few min ago. they're both plugged and I didn't do it, so must have been previous owner. So are there instructions for building the new ones? I've read that just about everyone here has built 25 different YICS's's's's

check out this post by forum member reckon.  He builds them.

http://ridersofvision.net/forum/zindex.php?topic=6054.0  I think the price is $45 for a newly made one from reckon that is tested for leaks and functionality.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

h2olawyer

Quote from: ColinthePilot on July 11, 2007, 10:49:48 AM
From that info, i'm pretty sure its history. I've taken my carbs out and cleaned them and there was no YICS stuck to them, not to mention there were plenty of plugged lines when i got it and since then i've yanked all the vac lines and plugged them too. I'll double check to make sure the yics holes are plugged up.

Do not plug the vacuum lines.  You need to have the line to the petcock functioning or your petcock won't function properly.  Also, the fuel pump requires vacuum.  Just get new vacuum hoses & use them when you put everything back together.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

zore

The only thign the yics is good for is to plug that space between the cylinders.  It's a pretty piece of chrome.  I found no differince in how the bike ran with it on or off, until it leaked, then I noticed the difference.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

ColinthePilot

Quote from: h2olawyer on July 11, 2007, 12:48:04 PM
Do not plug the vacuum lines.  You need to have the line to the petcock functioning or your petcock won't function properly.  Also, the fuel pump requires vacuum.  Just get new vacuum hoses & use them when you put everything back together.

H2O
My petcocks don't seem to work anyway. i yanked the vac lines and set the fuel valve to prime and she doesn't leak fuel and doesn't run any different. Also, my bike is an 82 and doesn't have a fuel pump. All gravity feed!
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

zore

Quote from: ColinthePilot on July 12, 2007, 03:08:22 AM
Quote from: h2olawyer on July 11, 2007, 12:48:04 PM

H2O
My petcocks don't seem to work anyway. i yanked the vac lines and set the fuel valve to prime and she doesn't leak fuel and doesn't run any different. Also, my bike is an 82 and doesn't have a fuel pump. All gravity feed!

82's also have a fuel pump.  You will most likely have problems when the fuel level gets too low with out a pump.  The pump is located with the carb assymbly.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

ColinthePilot

I'll have to look for that. I took my carbs apart and didn't find anything that didn't look like carb.
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

Night Vision

I've been noticing SmokeBomb hasn't been running up to snuff lately....

sho 'nuff ... my YICS as sprung both interior and exterior minor leakage  >:(

so I threw my sync caps on for now until I decide what to do...

but I immediately noticed that when the motor is rev'd... it doesn't drop back down to idle as quick, and I noticed a slight backfire when rev'd high, and quickly backed off... sound familiar Tiger? 'specially with your megaphones

I'll try it without the YICS for awhile, might tweak the pilot screws a bit..... at least give non YICS a go around....
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

ColinthePilot

so i tried Supervision's WD-40 can YICS mod. One test ride, maybe a half mile. She quit on me but that was before she was warmed up. after the restart she ran great and idled for about 5 min without complaint. she's never done that before without throttle intervention. I like it overall. lots of tuning to be done, but overall better than before.
Colin