News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

had it for a week ran fine. Now it cuts out when I give gas?????

Started by [jh], May 28, 2007, 09:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[jh]

I just got this bike a week ago, it's my first, I love it. I've been riding it for a week and everything was perfect. All of a sudden it starts to cut out on me during acceleration. I'm a newbie and I don't know where to begin. I went through some basic stuff like draining the tank,checking the filter's. I didn't go much further as I don't really know much about carburetors and I assume thats where the problem is.

Is this a common problem? is it something simple? I hear it's a good bike to have if you like turning a wrench. Any feed back would be nice.  :( :( :(
wow!

reckon

vacuum leak somewhere?  (you said it all of a sudden changed, and started running poorly)

check the YICS hoses, and the unit itself : quick check: pull the hoses, and cap the nipples on the motor, leave everything else alone, and try the bike on a short test run,..if it runs better, you know you have a leaky YICS/hoses.  if not the carb boots are the next usual suspect, with liquid electrical tape working suprisingly well as a fix.

I'd start there and see what that tells you
"if it's stupid but it works, it's no longer stupid"

Night Vision

Quote from: [jh] on May 28, 2007, 09:07:05 PM

..........checking the filter's............

which filters did you check? do you have an inline gas filter?

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

Quote from: Night Vision on May 28, 2007, 09:44:28 PM

Quote from: [jh] on May 28, 2007, 09:07:05 PM

..........checking the filter's............

which filters did you check? do you have an inline gas filter?

[jh]; please respond to questions in the thread instead of by pm's, that way everyone can help and others in the future can search for answers.....

anyway, when you say "filter above the pectcock" I take it you mean the screen on the petcock tubes. Yes, it's a good idea to make sure those aren't nasty.

an inline filter is a small cone shaped filter that goes on the hose from the petcock to the carb. These carbs are very sensistive to crud. An inline filter is a must... you can get one at a cycle shop or J.C. Whitney etc.

Hopefully when you drained the tank, you didn't concentrate any sediment that got pass the sceen filter and into the carbs.

after you get an inline gas filter, try running some seafoam or techtron in the tank.

;D

kwells

when in doubt crack open yir carbs...that was always what it was for me.  Before I got my inline filter it seemed just about every time I went out riding that some rust got lodged in a pilot jet.  Could be the rev limiter as well as Lucky suggested.  Could start by cutting that and move on to the more difficult fixes.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

[jh]

thanks guys, I will try the above and let ya know. thanks again.
wow!

[jh]

I was snooping around and i noticed that on the back cylinder where the exhaust connects there are three holes, but one of them isn't capped. I'm not sure if this was always like this, or maybe it's new and thats the cause of my problems.

I checked the yics and nothing really changed, but only on idle because I can' t ride it. But i did notice it ran smoother with the choke out?????????????
I have an exploded view of the carb and see nothing about carb boots, so i have done nothing there.

There is no inline filter but I will install one. the small hose on the petcock is the fuel line, right?

I have no idea where to find the rev limiter.lol And my manual says nothing.

When i hold the rev up a bit it sorta flutters, or like poofs, does that help?
wow!

h2olawyer

The fuel line runs from the petcock to the fuel pump.  The smaller line runs from the vacuum diaphragm to one of the intake boots below the carb.  The fuel line takes a filter for 1/4 inch lines.

The rev limiter wire goes from the TCI to the tach.  It is either yellow with a black tracer or black with a yellow tracer.  The best way to unhook it is to take the back off the gauges, unscrew the terminal from the tach & wrap it in electrical tape.  Replace the screw in the back of the tach & put the panel back on the rear of the gauges.  No clipped wires to worry about & it can be reattached in the future should you ever decide to do so.

If you are running better with the choke out, the carbs are probably too lean.  The choke is actually an enriching circuit in the carbs.  Check for plugged emulsion tubes.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

Quote from: [jh] on May 31, 2007, 10:48:28 PM
I was snooping around and i noticed that on the back cylinder where the exhaust connects there are three holes, but one of them isn't capped. I'm not sure if this was always like this, or maybe it's new and thats the cause of my problems.

on the back left side (shift lever side) of the rear cylinder, there is a larger hole and two small holes above and below it, they are not capped (unlike the one on the front of back cylinder... that's normal

I checked the yics and nothing really changed, but only on idle because I can' t ride it. But i did notice it ran smoother with the choke out?????????????

to check the yics box, you need to disconnect it and keep the hoses on it.
there are two chambers..... if you blow into either of the hoses, they should not leak....
if you can keep blowing, even a little bit, there is either a leak internally between the chambers (most common) or an external leak.

you can tell if it's an external leak by holding it under water and holding your thumb over the other hose.... if you blow and see bubbles.... external leak.. you can tell if it's an internal leak by holding your thumb over the other hose... if you blow and can't blow anymore.. then release your thumb from the other hose and it leaks... then it's an internal leak

it may also be the hoses themselves are split if they are original

I have an exploded view of the carb and see nothing about carb boots, so i have done nothing there.

the carb boots, two of them, are the black rubber things that connect the carbs to the cylinders
they may have hairline cracks in them that can be fill with "liquid electrical tape" available at auto stores for about $5

There is no inline filter but I will install one. the small hose on the petcock is the fuel line, right?

there are two hoses on the petcock. a thin vacuum hose that comes from the front carb boot to the petcock, and a larger one (1/4") that goes to the fuel pump... the filter goes on the large hose between the petcock and the fuel pump

I have no idea where to find the rev limiter.lol And my manual says nothing.

cutting the yellow wire on the six connector plug to the tci disables the rev limiter... that's another day's lesson

When i hold the rev up a bit it sorta flutters, or like poofs, does that help?

probably the yics leaking

[jh] it sounds like you are new to motorcycling, this being your first one..., these are great bikes for those that recognize what they are... they are 25 year old sport bikes that can still hold their own... litterally, there is nothing else like them....

but you must realize they are 25 years old and you need to be able to work on it.... even a 25 yr old Toyota needs to be maintained, and/or restored.

if you are patient and persistent, this forum can help you....
we never know what skills, mechanical experience or capabilities new members have... don't be afraid to ask questions... no limit... no one knows everything, but collectively we do alright..

besides...what else do most of these guys have to do at work besides help a gal out...

BTW, since no one officially welcomed you.... how rude of us.... welcome to the forum  :)
;D

[jh]

OOPS!! I'm not a female!! lol!! ;D

I guess I got the wrong inline filter cuz the nips are not 1/4".
wow!

Night Vision

well, sorry about that chief... I see you changed your profile  ;)
;D

jasonm.

If the hesitation is right as you open the throttle. The likely problems are CLOGGED accelerator pump nozzle or low speed jet. 2nd  poss. is the YICS or other vacuum leak. But it would idle poorly if the YICS was bad.  Many make the mistake of replacing the accel pump hose to the front carb with standard rubber hose. Most rubber hose of this size will decay and clog the nozzle. Use clear or "green" small fuel hose. This is available at any power equipment shop .This hose is used on chain saws. 1/8" is the size....
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

[jh]

well............ I checked the yics, it was fine, there was absolutely no air bubbles or room for me to breath. I took the rev limiter off and that did nothing. So I decided it would be fun to take the carb out and learn something about my new vision. I checked the float bowls, they had some weird yellow gew inside, I shot some cab cleaner through all passage ways and blew it dry with compressed air, checked the boots, reinstalled it, put an in-line filter in, fired er up today, ran very well, took it for a short ride (as the weather in beautiful Vancouver is a little unstable today)everything seemed to be nice and sweet. :) ;D

Although I was not able to fully decide what the problem is, it seems to be good, but only time will tell.

There is a little creep in the clutch.  I've been messing with the cable a little. Any suggestions on that? Or what to do now to preserve my ride?
wow!

inanecathode

Lengthen the cable housing to decrease the amount of creep you have. If the clutch then slips on hard acceleration, or theres a significant lag in engagement you might need to look closer at your cluch system. Most likely it's fine, just needs the cable monkeyed with.
As far as the yellow goo, its probably gasoline/detergent/random fluid residue. That's what's clogging your carbs up, accelerator pumps etc.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Tiger

Quote from: [jh] on June 05, 2007, 12:29:44 AM
...Or what to do now to preserve my ride?

8) Ride the hell out of her... :o ...Vision's perform better when they are ridden on a regular basis. It will also help your clutch, and other thing's, free up... ;)

:) Give her an oil/oil filter change, (if not already done), fill the tank with fresh gas/carb' cleaner, check your tire pressure's and take her for a decent run for an hour or so...goes by quick when your having fun ;), bring her home and give her a full service...Drain & re-fill ALL fluids: engine oil/filter, rear drive oil, coolant and brake fluid. New spark plug's/cap's/wire's, etc...Gas her up and go ride her again 8) 8) 8)

Congrat's and welcome to the family... ;D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

Mine started doing the same thing the day before yesterday. 1st half of ride was fine but when the thunder clouds set in and the rain was on the way...and my wife (and backup ride) is out of town, yellowjascket decides to act like shes out of gas.  I pulled over and checked and I had a half tank.  Nursed her home by keeping the revs high and the gears low and finally made it.
Preliminary findings were a leaky YICS.  Not a big leak, but both an internal and external leak.  Just enough to upset the ying and yang and throw my V out of chi.  Im going to split it and repair it tonight in hopes that it will be fixed by the time serendipity and tailwheel get up here.  Oops forgot to mention that they are coming up for a visit. ;D
In the mean time I capped the ports..but havent had the time to start it up and test it.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

GT @ oh.

You make it sound so easy JH  8) way to go.... only hope mine goes that well

YellowJacket!

Heres a good example of how a few very minor things can add up to one major thing.  I too have had the same problem as JH except, prior to, it was running absolutely fine.
I had some free time today and decided to dig into it.  After consulting with Lucky and getting his recomendations, I decided to proceed.
I removed my tank and was prepared to take off the carbs and dip them again, but I know they are clean. (dangerous thougts for a Vision owner), but I remembered some things that Lucky had mentioned to me in the past.
First, my fuel line was 3/16" rather than 1/4" so I decided to change it out.  While doing so, I noticed that my cone shaped fuel filter was on backwards...duh.  Do, I turned it around and lo and behold, there is a flake of POR stuck in the little hole on the stintered filter.  A syringe full of fuel pumped through the filter the right way flushed it and anything else out so I could put the filter back on the right way.
Also, in my haste to rebuild the bike a couple years ago, I left off a couple of the "butterfly" clamps on the vacuum hoses.  I noticed that they are a bit loose, so I clamped them down.  Vacuum leaks are a major problem on the V and now should be fixed on mine.
I also checked my accelerator pump nozzles and noticed that they were both spraying onto the throat of the carb intake about 3/4 the way down.  Some long nosed pliers remedied that problem and now they spray right down onto the butterflys.
Hooked up my makeshift ponu tank and fired her up.  But, I noticed smoke coming out from under my seat.  My first thougt was I just toasted my RR but on further inspection, it was coming from around one of the collars where the Y pipe connects.  I got out my long hex wrench and tightened it up.  It was quite loose.
In addition, I know that my YICS had a very slight leak, so I bought the stuff to make a gasket for it.  In the mean time, I capped of fthe ports and took it for a spin and it ran a lot better.  Of course it did backfore a lot which it does when I ride YIC-less, but its running better.  Once I get the YICS back together and on the bike, it should be better than before.
So, it looks like a constellation of several small things was causing my big headache.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

[jh]

when you say "dunk your carbs" what exactly does that intail?
wow!