Got some questions!

Started by dj, May 29, 2007, 11:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dj

Hey everybody.  I have a potential deal in the works to pick up an 82 with the 83 full fairing on it, but I have some questions about some "issues" this bike has.

From talking with the owner the bike runs, but has an erratic idle (pretty good ideas of what to check on this: carbs, intake leaks...).  The YICS has been taken off the bike and the lines capped off.

The first questions is about the R/R, the one on the bike is "melted".  He states that he changed out the stator and the melted R/R has been taken off the bike.  So what should I look at to make sure nothing else is wrong (melted wires...) from the overload the R/R took?

Another problem is that one of the mirrors is broken off the fairing.  How hard are these to find for the 83 full fairing?

The seat also needs to be reupholstered, so how hard is that to do?  Doesn't look like it would be to hard, but looks can be deceiving.

Last question, the bike has been painted black (even the engine and the pipes  ;D) but the quesion is this.  The windshield was also painted black so how would I get the paint off without messing up the windshield?  (take the windshield off and use paint stripper/thinner?)

Not really looking for to much in depth information, just wondering what I should be looking for.  Still trying to get a chance to either get down to look at the bike or get someone in the area to look at it for me.  The bike is located in Warner NH and is for sale by scrappy555.  I have already sent a PM to Sable to see if he would be able to take a look at the bike for me, plus my folks will be traveling down that way in a few weeks to go see the NASCAR race in NH...
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

kwells

Well there is some good and bad news.  The engine paint can be stripped off with either oven cleaner or a decent gel paint stripper.  I'm doubting that the paint can be removed from the plastic without damaging it in the process.  The mirrors are fairly hard to find, but if you do find them expect to pony up some $$ to get them.  Can't really diagnose the 'erratic idle' without first dipping and synching the carbs.  You will most likely be cleaning the inside of your tank and PORing it as well as needing to install a new inline filter between you tank and carbs. 
Electrically the best you will be able to do I think is check for additionally burnt wires around the bike.  Most likely a new Stator and R/R and some new wiring would fix it up.  Don't forget a new batter, plugs, and caps.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

dj

Quote from: kwells on May 29, 2007, 12:13:00 PM
Well there is some good and bad news.  The engine paint can be stripped off with either oven cleaner or a decent gel paint stripper.don't want to strip it off.  I plan on doing this with my current V anyway.  I'm doubting that the paint can be removed from the plastic without damaging it in the process.that's what I figured, just asking in case somebody knew of a way to do it  The mirrors are fairly hard to find, but if you do find them expect to pony up some $$ to get them.might be able to fix the busted one, but won't know until I get a look at it.  Can't really diagnose the 'erratic idle' without first dipping and synching the carbs.  You will most likely be cleaning the inside of your tank and PORing it as well as needing to install a new inline filter between you tank and carbs.  that is just the standard stuff anyway   ;D
Electrically the best you will be able to do I think is check for additionally burnt wires around the bike.  Most likely a new Stator and R/R and some new wiring would fix it up.  Don't forget a new batter, plugs, and caps.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

dj

when the bike is first started the front cylinder cuts in and out and the tach jumps around wild.when the bike warms up it seems fine but i cant get it to idle in one spot.it either idles too high or wants to stall,not sure if maybe the carbs need cleaning.the yellow/black rev limiter wire was cut on the bike as well.

this is the description of the idle issue.  Any ideas of possible diagnosis other then dip the carbs and get new plugs and wires?   ;)
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

kwells

probably a clogged jet on one of the carbs. Don't know about the tach.  That is electrical for sure.

www.wellsmoto.com

dj

Quote from: kwells on May 29, 2007, 12:53:22 PM
probably a clogged jet on one of the carbs. Don't know about the tach.  That is electrical for sure.

Thanks for the suggestions kwells.  Just trying to find out what I am getting myself into if I do get the kitchen pass from the wife.   ;D

Got a question for all you guys/gals that have the full fairing.  Can the regular 82 mirrors be used with the full fairing?
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Night Vision

Quote from: dj on May 29, 2007, 12:59:25 PM
..... Just trying to find out what I am getting myself into if I do get the kitchen pass from the wife.   ;D

sounds to me like you're headed for some headaches. Why not reconsider the one Scott has in Mass?

Got a question for all you guys/gals that have the full fairing.  Can the regular 82 mirrors be used with the full fairing?

you already answered your own question... "it broke off the fairing"... 82's break off the bars  :o

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

dj

Quote from: Night Vision on May 29, 2007, 01:35:55 PM
Quote from: dj on May 29, 2007, 12:59:25 PM
..... Just trying to find out what I am getting myself into if I do get the kitchen pass from the wife.   ;D

sounds to me like you're headed for some headaches. Why not reconsider the one Scott has in Mass?Sarah doesn't want to spend the 500-600 dollars for that one (even though it would only take a good carb cleaning to get her road ready).  This one is $250 and is half the distance away, so that means a better deal in her eyes  ::)  Women you just can't reason with them (disclaimer statement: This does not apply to any of the women on the forum and is said in strict confidence that no member of this forum will ever relay this statement to my wife as this would cause me to have all future kitchen passes revoked permanently)

you already answered your own question... "it broke off the fairing"... 82's break off the bars  :o
:-[ sorry for the stupid question.  didn't even think of that.  :-[
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Night Vision

remember... there are no stupid questions on this forum... but sometimes, there are stupid answers  ;D

Vlectrics are not my area of expertise, so I tend to avoid taking on any electrical problem I can avoid... in fact I'm not an expert in any particular area... especially the reasoning with a female area...

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

dj

Quote from: Night Vision on May 29, 2007, 01:58:03 PM
remember... there are no stupid questions on this forum... but sometimes, there are stupid answers  ;D

Vlectrics are not my area of expertise, so I tend to avoid taking on any electrical problem I can avoid... in fact I'm not an expert in any particular area... especially the reasoning with a female area...

I was helping my wife type up some paperwork for our daughters home schooling porfolio review and she couldn't think of the right word that she wanted and she looked over at me and said (straight faced and seriously) "Why can't you read my mind?"   :o ::)
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

h2olawyer

New 83 mirrors are available.  Only looked up one source.  They get $84 EACH!  I bought a pair a couple years ago for about $100 for the pair.  Guess the cost of oil has affected prices even on plastic parts in storage.   ::)

This "$250" bike will probably run into more time & $$ to get running than the $500 - $600 one.  However, the chance of the $250 one becoming a parts bike if someone either doesn't buy it or someone who doesn't know about us buys it is very high.  The main benefit if you buy it is to save it from becoming a donor bike.

I'm with Night Vision on the female reasoning stuff (main reason I've remained single!  :D ) - and am OK with electrics if I'm there to actually look at the problems.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

dj

Quote from: h2olawyer on May 29, 2007, 02:01:51 PM
New 83 mirrors are available.  Only looked up one source.  They get $84 EACH!  I bought a pair a couple years ago for about $100 for the pair.  Guess the cost of oil has affected prices even on plastic parts in storage.   ::)  bit pricey, but managable.

This "$250" bike will probably run into more time & $$ to get running than the $500 - $600 one.  I've tried to explain that to my wife, but she just doesn't get it.  This will be her bike, and it is in no hurry to get on the road as she doesn't even have a permit yet.  She really likes the idea of the 83 fairing.However, the chance of the $250 one becoming a parts bike if someone either doesn't buy it or someone who doesn't know about us buys it is very high.  The main benefit if you buy it is to save it from becoming a donor bike.That is my number one reason for trying to get the kitchen pass for this one.  It is in the price range that she approved and it is withing the distance that she finds "acceptable"  ::) even though it will take more work to get it going.

I'm with Night Vision on the female reasoning stuff the female mind is a mystery to me.  I have been married to my wife for almost 8 years now and I am no closer to understanding her then the day we got married. (main reason I've remained single!  :D ) - and am OK with electrics if I'm there to actually look at the problems.  I'm pretty good with electronics, I am a radio maintenance tech at the Air Guard base in Bangor Maine, and almost every time the radios have issues is when the voltages go wacky.

H2O
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Kevin

The windshield just takes time and elbow grease. I started out with gritty hand cleaner to remove the paint on both sides of the windshield and wetsanded with 2000 grit paper and a buddy buffed it out with rubbing compound. It looks brand new.

kwells

so the buffing was able to get the swirling and minute surface scratching out?  Is this process limited to a specific type of plastic?

www.wellsmoto.com

dj

Quote from: Kevin on May 29, 2007, 05:51:17 PM
The windshield just takes time and elbow grease. I started out with gritty hand cleaner to remove the paint on both sides of the windshield and wetsanded with 2000 grit paper and a buddy buffed it out with rubbing compound. It looks brand new.

Thanks for the idea.  I'll keep that in mind if the kitchen pass comes through.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

kiawrench

if you have two bikes, swap the cdi to the best bike, try that , if it works, leave it there and part out the other!
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

dj

Quote from: kiawrench on May 29, 2007, 09:56:29 PM
if you have two bikes, swap the cdi to the best bike, try that , if it works, leave it there and part out the other!

>:( Part out a Vision, not on my watch.

;D Or as long as it can be avoided.  I'm working on getting the kitchen pass for this bike as I think I can save her, not sure but I think it is salvageable.  Sable is going to go over and take a look at it for me next week and let me know what the "expert" opinion is on it.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)