values of vision

Started by taank, June 01, 2007, 01:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwells

I basically cannot say what my Vision is worth.  In the real world I would think that I would fetch more than the 1k I paid for it since i have done numerous upgrades that actually make it a better bike.  For an 82 it is hard to imagine that one could be worth more than 1500 but I think these bike are actually going up in price as we help to get more back on the road and thus increasing its recognition.  H20 and I were discussing the fact that most people have no clue about these bike and thus wouldnt pay much for them and the rest seen to have a negative connotation of them making them less apt to buy them.  As they are now being shown en masses that these bikes can run and still kick ass compared to a modern day bike in a comparative category.  The upgrades are a must for it to compete as a ridable bike overall but basically make this timeless bike for those of us who never intend to sell it to begin with.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Aelwulf

Is there a general summary of the 'upgrades', or is that an item on the "Lucky Special" I still need to get? ;)

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

kwells

The general upgrades for an 82 is longer than that of an 83 but still similar in nature.  For an 82 there are the things I am aware of

-tapered head bearings
-stainless steel brake lines
-83 or better rear shock (preload and dampening ability)
-progressive fork springs (OEMs render braking near useless)
-POR15 lining for tank
-inline fuel filter (sintered brass preferrably)
-fork brace
-brake bar OEM bolts replaced with larger diameter bolts

www.wellsmoto.com

Aelwulf

Quote from: kwells on July 10, 2007, 01:43:22 AM
The general upgrades for an 82 is longer than that of an 83 but still similar in nature.  For an 82 there are the things I am aware of

-tapered head bearings Check (kinda, just got 'em in the mail today so need to put 'em on)
-stainless steel brake lines Check
-83 or better rear shock (preload and dampening ability) On the list, looking at Progressive if possible
-progressive fork springs (OEMs render braking near useless) On the list
-POR15 lining for tank On the list for both
-inline fuel filter (sintered brass preferrably) Check, although plastic for now
-fork brace Heard of this one, haven't seen much more on it yet aside from in passing in various threads such as the Front End Wobble one though.
-brake bar OEM bolts replaced with larger diameter bolts Check

Thanks for the list. :)

*thunk*
What was that?!

kwells

To be honest I have the 83 shock but for what they seem to have gone for lately I would seriously consider an after market.  Fork Braces are available but seem to be less common than only a year or two ago.  With some homework I am confident that there are plenty still out there the fit other bikes making them more readily accessible for purchase. 

My biggest concern for the Vision is along the lines of braking.  IMO this is a 3 pronged effect.  You need to have the progressive springs to keep from bottoming under panic braking, need stainless lines to get the pressure to the caliper, and need very grabby pads to make the most of that pathetic single caliper piston that is saving your ass.

www.wellsmoto.com

YellowJacket!

Regarding the brakes, albeit a big upgrade, if you can get ahold of a decent 83 front end and swap it out, the dual front brakes make a very big difference.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kwells

yes, but keep in mind that even after you invest the unknown amt on the 83 front end assuming you find it, you still have to purchase the stainless steel lines, and the 83 fork springs are only marginally better than the 82s and really should also be upgraded

www.wellsmoto.com

GT @ oh.

My original 82 brake setup seems to be grabbing pretty well..... all things considered.....I know there is room for improvement ..... ss lines and such.....but seems like I've been reading negative things on the progressives :-\ ....like spring slapping.....and won't the nose dive help transfer weight to the front to help braking.....I know that they dive alot on braking tho.... and it would be nice to stiffen the forks....I'm thinking air setup for my 82....like has been discussed before......and this 83 rear shock I keep putting off.....I would love to try the tapered bearings ....as mine has always had the head shake at 85+.....tho I did get it going 85 for a good stretch on the Eway.....didn't want to go any faster as the wife was aboard.....I think the new fairing helps alot to smooth out the ride....that IMO is the best and most important upgrade.....well ok best.....most important gotta be the brake bar bolts.......as far as price range for a V they seem to go for less than $1500..... and thats a 83 with lowish mi.  .....which is fine by me.....thats the best part....you can get a bike like this at that price......of course I paid $1200 back in 84........ have ridden off a set of tires.....so I can spend another $1200 on it (if my wife would let me)... and it would still be worth it......I've already put about $600 of that on 83 stuff.

kwells

a bottomed out fork spring does not improve braking and will create a dangerous situation if not on very level surface while doing it.  I have not heard any spring slap within the forks after having put about 1k miles on it after the upgrade.

www.wellsmoto.com

zore

I replaced my worn ebc pads with the orginals i took off it.  The originals are far superior.  It actually stops well with single disk and steel line.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Night Vision

I have absolutely no bitches about my front brake... I have rebuilt and upgraded my entire single disc '82 front end ..... must be I don't panic when I ride....
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Aelwulf

I think mine need a smidge more bleeding as mentioned, but so long as I use the rear brake as supposed to mine stops nice & even.  Sure the rear doesn't have huge stopping but it does pretty much negate any dive I feel.  I've had to emergency brake once so far and wound up going into sand on the asphalt to do it.  The rear hinted at sliding out but using both brakes as needed evened it out quick and easy.  I'm sure the duals are really nice and grabby but unless mine take a turn for the worse I won't be in a big rush to worry about 'em.

*thunk*
What was that?!

Tiger

Quote from: Night Vision on July 10, 2007, 09:43:07 PM
I have absolutely no bitches about my front brake... I have rebuilt and upgraded my entire single disc '82 front end ..... must be I don't panic when I ride....

8).......DITTO....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

kwells

IMO you shouldn't have any bitches with your front brake.  I think the 82 setup(if upgrades are done) has the potential to be as good or better than the 83 OEM. BTW a panic stop if you are not familiar is usually not due to the rider's mistake but from some who doesn't see you and refers to 100% braking.

www.wellsmoto.com

jgarry

Hi everyone!

I have a silver '82 I bought new in '83, still have original sales slip.  I had them take off the fairing when I bought it, so no fairing.  I rode it to work at the time, then moved to where I had a ridiculous commute, then married and so on, so it's mostly been a garage-sitter since then.  Every few years I would fire it up and ride it around some, about 10 or 15 years ago I had a shop change all the fluids (and they apparently left some brake fluid or something on the master cylinder cover which thrashed it, grrrrr). 

Well, you can see it coming.  I put in a new battery, changed the oil, changed the gas (uh oh), went to crank it, discovered the throttle couldn't been moved.  Discovered giant Yamaha dealer had moved to near me, went there, they won't even look at such a thing, gave me number of place that bought all their old manuals.  I could see I'll never have time to deal with that, had it towed to place.  They did a "diagnostic,"  are quoting about $1100 for carb work, master cylinder rebuild, front brake calipers, and would need to search for parts.  I would expect it needs fork work, and who knows what else (original tires...)? 

What motivated me to get it going again was I would like to take the train to work and need a vehicle on the other end.  I had mixed emotions about leaving it out in the Irvine weather.  Now I'm trying to resolve whether I really care or should just donate it.  The responses I've seen to this thread pretty much support what I think it is worth monetarily (less than to fix it, of course, after it is fixed).  One part of me says "yes, you foo', have you seen the price of bikes lately?"  Another part says "yes, you foo', you can pretend you aren't a fat old married guy with kids, you saw that Wild Hogs movie, come on!"  Another part says "oh, come on, donate it, buy another bike if you really want one."   Another part says "face it bro', you are diabetic now and you will probably pass out and fall over at a stop light, get rid of it before you hurt yourself."  And another part says "find a group of Vision fans, see what they have to say, and sleep on it."

So there it is.  It has less than 1200 miles, some ickiness on the mechanical parts, a few minor scratches, some pitting on the wheels and black parts, would probably clean up real nice with a good detailing.  It's been registered and insured all this time, 2008 sticker.  When I first bought it, it had this stumble around 4000 RPM, so the dealer did something to it, they told me they put in some sort of restrictor to smooth it out, it had a bit less power and a bit less stumble.

I do remember what it feels like to wail on this Vision thing.

Advice?   ???

Last minute pix I took before tow:

A survivor!   :'(

Coil Coyle

Quote from: jgarry on July 12, 2007, 09:53:50 AM
    What motivated me to get it going again was I would like to take the train to work and need a vehicle on the other end.  I had mixed emotions about leaving it out in the Irvine weather.
    And another part says "find a group of Vision fans, see what they have to say, and sleep on it."
I do remember what it feels like to wail on this Vision thing.

Advice?   ???

A survivor!   

jgarry,

As a 55+ year old Vision owner I recommend you change your handle to "A Survivor", and stay with us. You could just as easily faint and fall under the train.

Welcome back! 8)

$0.02
;)
Coil

Aelwulf

If you end up sellin' it I'd love to get it from ya once in Cali but afraid I won't have money for that for a while. :( Hopefully someone from the group here could.  But yeah, start learnin' how it wants ya to get your hands dirty and keep it. :) Sounds like the dealer might've gimped it on the stumble, YICS issue anyone?

*thunk*
What was that?!

Brian Moffet

Quote from: jgarry on July 12, 2007, 09:53:50 AM
I had mixed emotions about leaving it out in the Irvine weather.

You're near some good people, Don Minor is in San Diego, Glenn is in Santa Barbara, Ron is in Bakersfield (okay, that may be a stretch...)

I don't think you'll have a problem getting it going again if that's what you want.  If not, I'm sure someone will take it off your hands whole.  I'd hate to see the bike parted out.  I'd take it, but I've got too many projects right now.

Brian

Night Vision

part of me says... fix it and keep it......

.....the other part of me says......fix it and keep it

...... I guess I'm unanimous
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

When taken as a whole, the projects seem almost overwhelming.  you can do the work yourself.  It's not that difficult and for a few hundred $$ in parts, you would have a nearly new Vision!  Much less than the shop quoted you.  Besides, no matter how good the shop is, they will not likely get it running up to its potential.  There's just too many oddities with the carbs that we've figured out & the shops don't know or won't take the time to do correctly.

Keep it, fix it yourself & enjoy!

I'm another original owner with all paperwork!  My V sat for a few multi-year periods as well.  Needed quite a bit of TLC to get it back into riding shape.  It rides & handles better today than it did the day I got it from the dealer.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.