New trick

Started by Kevin, June 06, 2007, 12:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

The  bolts are too short on most battery posts to reach the nut without wedging a small screwdriver under it. You can use a piece of plastic tubing like the battery overflow line, cut off 3/8"  and wedge it under the battery nut. The bolt can reach the nut now and when you tighten up the bolt the tubing compresses and stays in place. ;D

Glyn

That's a good tip. Has anyone got anymore?

louthepou

Lou's battery tip #14b: Every time you disconnect the battery, use a bit of sand paper to make sure both the battery terminals and the connectors on the cables are clean.

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

kiawrench

i have always just pinned the nut with a very small zip tie, like ones used inside of some electronic devices-- but the hose trick is a bit easier to do! and easier to find
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

YellowJacket!

I just used longer screws.  ;D  ;D  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

dcsob

I just scavenge a cigarette butt. They're every where.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter accusations'

QBS

Been doing this for many years in all my cars and bikes: (1) Put 1/4" layer of baking soda on the floor of the battery holder box.  (2) Before or after installing the battery (I prefer before) dump copious amounts of baking soda all over the top of the battery. Leave baking soda in place until next time battery is removed.  Baking soda kills battery acid=no rust/corrosion.

VERY IMPORTANT TIP:  Before opening the battery cell caps for any reason, throughly wash all baking soda off of the top of the battery.  Then, open the cell caps.  Failure to remove all traces of baking soda from the top of the battery could lead to baking soda falling into an open cell with bad ju ju results.

kwells

I use Anti-Seize Compound (permatex) on just about everything I touch on the Vision.  I've seen too many Vision parts stripped out....especially carb screws
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

Quote from: QBS on June 06, 2007, 05:27:47 PM
Been doing this for many years in all my cars and bikes: (1) Put 1/4" layer of baking soda on the floor of the battery holder box.  (2) Before or after installing the battery (I prefer before) dump copious amounts of baking soda all over the top of the battery. Leave baking soda in place until next time battery is removed.  Baking soda kills battery acid=no rust/corrosion.

VERY IMPORTANT TIP: Before opening the battery cell caps for any reason, throughly wash all baking soda off of the top of the battery.  Then, open the cell caps.  Failure to remove all traces of baking soda from the top of the battery could lead to baking soda falling into an open cell with bad ju ju results.

Lol, we'll call that an 'Ionic reaction'
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

kwells

I believe that is acid-base chemistry

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

Lol, good call kwells. Just like thermal based decomposition

kwells

thermal decomposition sounds more like a stock vision exhaust can

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

Lol, how about "Rapid Oxidation"

Glyn

Replace everything that moves with stainless allen (hex) headed bolts. Put copperslip grease on them before lightly tightening down. Use good quality hex keys, the cheap ones (like I've had), round off easily.
Oh yes, take lots of stress breaks when that difficult to fix part on the Vision is getting you down. Copious amounts of alcohol usually helps.

Lucky

Quote from: Glyn on June 07, 2007, 07:32:58 AM
Use good quality hex keys, the cheap ones (like I've had), round off easily.

I have cheap & expensive sets of hex keys, & they can round too, but even with the cheapies, just grind them down & reuse...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

EH

You can avoid using the 22MM cast-in hex shape on the cams when removing cam drive sprockets. Simply line up the holes in the cams that are directly over the head bolts and insert your 8MM allen wrench into the head bolts. the inserted allen wrench is now holding the cams and you can remove or re-fasten the cam sprockets easily. I used this method after trying to use the hex shape on the cam and gouging the gasket surface on the head.

kwells

Here's a freebie and you can thank me for it later.

Lightly grease your side plastic rubber grommits.  It will not only preserve the rubber from drying out(if not already trashed) but will prevent you from having to use lots of pulling and pushing on your plastic peg inserts.

Try it you'll like it.

www.wellsmoto.com

Lucky

i use plumbers grease on them. it doesn't wash away & is slippery too.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

SAVE THE CARB DIP

make a good parts washer after you've DipDip'd your carbs...

cleans paint brushes too!  ;) since it's just glorified paint thinner anyway  ::)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Glyn

After having loads of aerosol caps gum up with paint...

After spraying, remove the cap, soak it in turps for a few mins and blow it through. Your mouth now tastes like an old paintbrush but you can now use that last inch on paint in the can. Bargin...