After starting with no problems, she now seems to just give up

Started by Matnique, June 07, 2007, 10:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matnique

I've had her starting with no issues until today.  I am a total newbie so as best I can this is what happens: I press the started button with the choke fully engaged.  She kind of starts but this time at a very low idle, just above 1K and then starts to fizz out altogether and dies.  What the heck!  My initial impulse was to check the battery.  I put jumper cables from one of those portable jump starters.  She seems to almost fire up but then starts with that low idle and the idle fades lower and lower until she gives up.  I am a little perplexed as she has had no problems the last two weeks that I've had this 82.  I'm hoping it's not a major problem.  Help!

kwells

hmmm...sounds dumb but when I was tuning my carbs I ran out of gas and was stumped for a sec....You full on fuel?
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Definitely sounds like a fuel issue to me, too.  Your gas cap may not be venting properly, your vacuum line to your petcock may be disconnected or leaking (or some other petcock problem).  Probably not a serious issue, since it has been running well for the last 2 weeks.

Try setting the petcock to PRI, wait a few minutes, then try starting again.

Weak baattery, it wouldn't likely turn over - or if it did, there wouldn't be enough juice to fire the coils.  Vision TCIs require a nice, strong battery in order to fire the coils & plugs.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) Is your "V" an "on-the-road" unit or a standing-in-the-garage awaiting more work kind of affair  ???
The reason I ask is, if you are starting the "V" up and running it for a short while, mainly on choke...the spark plugs will be fouled up and in need of a clean... ;) So pull the plug's, clean, check the gap and re-install...if they are old plug's, replace them, NOW!!! Either way, use a wee bit of anti-seize on the threads of the plugs, before re-installing... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Matnique

It was a gas issue.  I put it on "reserve" and it fired up real good.  I wouldn't have thought, seeing that when I rocked the bike, I could hear some gas in the tank.  Put a couple gallons and she's good to go.

thanks   ;D

inanecathode

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////