News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Parts bike build thread!

Started by inanecathode, June 21, 2007, 11:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

Thanks kwells :D
Just gotta finish brushing the parts bike tank down and solder up the holes on it, por it, and i should be fine
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

kwells

think there might be some filler to get it right also
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

Lord! Making this fiberglass end cap is singularly the most difficult process i've ever attempted. Theres so many angles that have to be right, so many parts to cut out slots for, so many different ways things can go wrong. I'll be happy when this is over with. The right side panel of the end cap is done. All i have to do is fit up the left side, angle and cut the tops of both sides down to accomodate the top portion. Cut the side angles of the top down. Sculpt and sand the proper body lines, glue the pieces together, reenforce the pieces together, glass the mold, melt out the foam (all that hard work gone  :'() trim the glass down, fit the glass on the bike, mount hinge brackets on the bike, mount hinge brackets on the end cap, mount a latch on the frame, latch on the cap, remove the end cap, prime it, paint it (black, of course), install water tight foam molding all the way around it and THEN i'm done.
Yikes.
Parts bike tank hasn't been touched since a few days ago, i'm trying to figure out the process of how to finish it. Should i brush the whole tank down to the metal, exposing holes and rust spots, solder the holes, leave the rust spots THEN por it? Or should i solder the holes i have uncovered, por it, then brush it down to metal?
Opinions?

inanecathode

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product?storeId=10101&Pr=p_Product.CATENTRY_ID%3A2006251&TID=231000000&TID=231000000&productId=2006251&catalogId=10101
Yarrrr! Now all i need is to figure out where i want my exhaust to be, two sided? one sided? straight back and low? Straight back and high? out the front as kwells suggested?

Anyway, parts bike tank will be pored, then finished brushing (non flammable after it's pored), then clear coated. Still have to

inanecathode

Hmmm, am i weird for wanting to make everything myself?

kwells

Im thinking that isnt the reason
:P
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

visionless

I was thinking that it had something to do with those scooby snacks.
When a whole nation is roaring Patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

'05 Katana 750    '82 XZ550
See 12 Visions all in a row!
http://www.myspace.com/ccoyle6731

inanecathode

That's definitely a possiblity :o
I discussed this with kwells already, but would it be easier to replace the engine in the vision rather than find out why theres no compression then possibly replacing the offending head?

h2olawyer

If the engine is otherwise good, figure out what's wrong & fix it.  There are quite a few people with extra engine parts.  No sense in tossing an entire engine that just needs a piston, cylinder, valves and / or head.

Just my $0.02

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

I would probably replace the engine if it needed a piston, i wouldnt want to split the case to be honest..

Pictuuuuuuures!

Tank going on the green bike getting some bondo work (kinda difficult on a giant wavy section like this, ended up putting 2 coats on the thing to rectify the pittyness the first coat had, not sure how it'll be after the second coat but:

The vetter fairing headlight someone taped on the cb750 looks like it'll be pretty much a bolt match to the vision, i'll have to relocate the electrics in the bucket to a rubber boot or something i'm sure:

I've ordered 2 orange (turn signals) one red (oil light) one blue (brights) and one green (neutral) and one more blue (illuminate the gauge) prewired 12vdc LEDs to replace the idiot light box that's going away on the parts bike. http://www.theledlight.com/wired_leds.html is where i got them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=220126145166 is going to replace the entire gauge assembly on the parts bike (one on the green bike is trashed, and the one thats on the parts bike looks really nice, so it's going on the green bike
I'll be making a foam enclosure that fits both the leds and the bicycle computer, i'll then impregnate the foam with resin to make it solid and drillable, then i'll put a piece of plexiglass over the whole thing with pins to operate the computer without letting water in :D

Aelwulf

Quote from: inanecathode on June 30, 2007, 01:38:44 PM
...but would it be easier to replace the engine in the vision rather than find out why theres no compression then possibly replacing the offending head?

I'm sure samsr would LOVE to let you take his sitting in his garage. ;)

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

inanecathode

That's a good point you know... It IS just sitting there... Good head on it too :D

inanecathode

Due to the dual front down pipes and single Y rear pipe i think i'm going to go for a 4 into 4 with each pipe being one port off each head. I dont really have a way of making a front Y pipe is the reason. Not sure if it'll affect performance or not...

inanecathode

Woot! I've got my bike computer in:

It was really cheap, 5 bucks, off ebay. I like it cheap though, because all it is is a calculator, it accepts wheel sizes up to 9999 millimeters, goes up to infinite speed (not infinite, but same difference). It's got average speed, top speed, distance traveled, timer, odometer, time, date, and a bunch of other stuff i can't remember. Anyway, it's bitchin, and its super small. Just waiting on my led's to wire up a new gauge cluster for the V :D

inanecathode

Got my led's in today. Focusing on the mystery machine until it's rideable, then monkey around with the parts bike at night or when i'm not riding.

inanecathode

Tank thats going on the parts bike! I cant seem to solder the holes closed, so it's JB weld on it...
JB weld on a brushed steel tank? Well you'll just have to wait to see what it looks like after i'm done ;)

ColinthePilot

Are you soldering or brazing? Brazing is similar to solder and easy like solder, but a lot stronger. and it would fill lose little holes in a few minutes. I know they sell kits on ebay with a tube full of brazing rods (AKA mystery metal) and an instructional CD-ROM. I bought one for about $25 and after a little practice, i was fixing all kinds of stuff.
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

inanecathode

Soldering with a soldering gun :D
Works alright with small non rusted holes, but only jb seems to cover and stick good enough.

ColinthePilot

Yeah, I bet brazing would work well for you, but so would JB
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

inanecathode

Gotta knock off a bit of solder still left and seal it off with jb. Should be good to go with the por at that point, then it's on to finishing and clear coating.
Looks like fridays the day i get my clamps made.