Reality check

Started by pullshocks, June 22, 2007, 12:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullshocks

Hello.
I am your basic baby boomer who never had a motor cycle before, and came across this web site in researching various bikes that have been for sale here in the Seattle area.  I am really impressed with the info and resources.

The plan is to get protective gear, take a rider class, and start looking around for a used motor cycle in the $1000 range.  This seems to translate to a Japanese motor cycle about 20-25 years old. 

The Vision is certainly one that caught my eye, and having a web resource like Riders of Vision is a big plus.  Others are the Seca and Seca II, some of the early Viragos, the Suzuki GS500.  Neither the cruiser style, nor the repli racer appeals to me very much

Question 1:  In general, what is parts availability like for machinery this old (Japanese bikes in general, and Vision in particular)?  Is it viable to keep a 25 year old machine going?  I have no illusions that a $1000 bike is going be trouble free.  I am enough of a wrench to replace the timing belt on my minivan and enjoy working on stuff, but that doesn't help if you can't get the parts.

Question 2:  Is the Vision a good prospect for a new rider?  I think some of my mountain bike skills will translate over, but does the Vision have traits (like difficult shifting or tricky handling) that might be a drawback for the inexperienced

inanecathode

Hello.
I am your basic baby boomer who never had a motor cycle before, and came across this web site in researching various bikes that have been for sale here in the Seattle area.  I am really impressed with the info and resources.

The plan is to get protective gear, take a rider class, and start looking around for a used motor cycle in the $1000 range.  This seems to translate to a Japanese motor cycle about 20-25 years old. 

The Vision is certainly one that caught my eye, and having a web resource like Riders of Vision is a big plus.  Others are the Seca and Seca II, some of the early Viragos, the Suzuki GS500.  Neither the cruiser style, nor the repli racer appeals to me very much

Question 1:  In general, what is parts availability like for machinery this old (Japanese bikes in general, and Vision in particular)? Fairly good supply, not much really breaks on visions to any regularity, just gets dirty or messed up somehow  Is it viable to keep a 25 year old machine going? Yes it sure is, and its fun too  I have no illusions that a $1000 bike is going be trouble free. Once they're fixed once they're suprisingly reliable  I am enough of a wrench to replace the timing belt on my minivan and enjoy working on stuff, but that doesn't help if you can't get the parts.

Question 2:  Is the Vision a good prospect for a new rider? In my opinion yes, it's smooth enough, slow enough, and handles well enough that it ends up being pretty forgiving, but once you get better it's got plenty of power and handling left in it to stay in teresting  I think some of my mountain bike skills will translate over, but does the Vision have traits (like difficult shifting or tricky handling) that might be a drawback for the inexperienced Not really, the only somewhat challenging thing on visions is the mechanical end of things, that is if you don't have help, but with ROV it's like having a plethora of experienced vision mechanics in your garage

I'd say the vision is an awesome deal, it's lots of bike for not much. For a thousand you can get a very nice 82 that's running and driving and has very little problems. I got my current bike for 400, and my parts bike, but you can expect to pay anywhere from 400 to 800 for a rougher vision. Fortunately rough doesnt equal bad, i can't count how many posts i've read of people obtaining 'unfixable' bikes that within a week are rideable.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Aelwulf

Keep eyes open for local & eBay deals too.  I got mine for $100 from a bulletin board at work in the mountain.  I've since put about $700-800 in parts and such into it, if it holds reliable etc it'll be well worth the money.  If not it's still been an interesting learning experience for much less of a cost than many used problem bikes would be.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Coil Coyle

..and the Portland craigslist is also a center of Vision ads.

Google search-         craigslist "yamaha Vision" 
                   -         craigslist   XZ550

- regularly. There were a lot sold in the Northwest area and they will turn up over and over.

$0.02
;)
Coil

Scott_Mc

Quote from: pullshocks on June 22, 2007, 12:17:14 AM.....I am really impressed with the info and resources....
...this is a happy place :D with lot's of great help which is certainly key to your overall positive experience with motorcycling.   I think the Vision is a great match for a begginner or an experienced rider.  There's plenty of power to do anything you'd likely want to do on two wheels 8).  Wish you were on the "right" coast, I have both a V and a GS700 on the block right now...

Best of Luck!  Listen to every word your riding instructor has for you.  Riding simply is not the same climate as it used to be.
Owned an `82 XZ for 22(?) years!
Current 2-`85 and 1-`86 GS1150E/ 1-`85 GS700ES
Wanted:-ST1300 :-O !!

hfarley

welcome to the board! I ended up buying the Vision and then stumbling upon this website myself. I was a passenger on bikes all my life but never a driver. I took the course, got the gear, and enjoy tinkering on my bike. Currently I am not riding due to being almost 9 months pregnant but will soon be back on the bike. This website is a great resource for anything from questions to parts to advice. The Vision is my first motorcycle. I love it and will never give it up. I am finding that finding parts is not too difficult for the bike. Certain things like fairings can be a bit tricky to find but through the advice and resources here you should be able to get the stuff you need. And don't worry about not knowing how to fix the bike. Everyone here is very helpful and will walk you through what you need to know. Another great thing to pick up is a copy of the Haynes manual for the bike. Between that and this site you will be fine. Hopefully you will find that the Vision is the bike for you, but if it isn't you are still more than welcome to hang out here and ask questions. Good luck on your search for a bike and let us know what you end up with.
-Heather aka Bat Girl
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

[jh]

I just recently got myself a Vision :) After a week it broke down on me :( (you can check out my topic, it's the "I had it for a week" ad) I ended up fixing it myself( with the help of the good ppl around here) It was a crap load of fun and pretty easy for someone who doesn't have much experience, plus it is good for me to know something about my bike. So far so good, I ride everyday to work and anywhere else I can go with it, and it hasn't wined abit.

As far a riding it.......................... I am a first time rider, I've been learning by myself(while trying to find as much info about riding bikes I can find) I think it's a great bike, feels good, and has enough power to scare the crap out of me. ;D I don't have much to compare to, but I couldn't imagine a better beginner bike. Plus there is endless amounts of information about this bike out there.

This almost sounds like a commercial for vision bikes.

I love my vision!
wow!

Kevin

The vision's are challenging and unique bikes that draw attention ( even at a BMW rally) ;D. I would advise staying away from the Viragos', they had starter issues. Other bikes to look at gs550 suzuki, Kawasaki 500 twin, Honda gl500. The gang here is happy to help. Go for it.

dj

All in all the vision is a great bike.  My bike is actually my second bike.  My first was a 1979 Suzuki GS1000, so a step down to a 550 seemed pretty drastic to me.  But, I was very suprised with how this bike is geared.  I get almost as much raw off the line power with mine (the few times I've had it on the road) then I did with the GS1000 (and that had a crap load of power).  It corners better then the GS did and weights a lot less.  The riding postion, espesially with the sport fairing is a lot better (IMO).  Plus it is a very unique looking bike.  I don't know about your area, but there are a ton of 80's GS bikes around my area.  Pretty much a dime a dozen around these parts.

The only problem I had with the GS was that it was a really big bike and hard to keep in the proper RPM range while putting around town, it was more of a long haul bike that loved the faster speeds.  Where as the V is better for me for in town driving (great on the twisties) and it still has the higher end speed to get on the faster roads.

You can't go wrong with either the V or the GS, but the V is more fun to ride.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

zore

If you could find one cheap enough, the Suzuki SV650 is really where it's at for a starter.  GS500 would also not be bad.  If you can find a vision in good shape, are mechanicly inclined and don't mind going thru the motions of correcting some things, XZ is fine.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

YellowJacket!

My Vision is my first real street bike and like everyone here, I came across mine after it suffered years of neglect.  I was pretty lucky with mine as the ravages of time hedn't taken too much of a toll on it.  After about 6 months of basic restoration - from the ground up - I was finally able to start riding it.  The more purposefull restoration followed, once I was able to get it going.
As far as riding, I like it.  I took the MSF course first before I really venture out and got a feeling of what a little Virago 250 and Suzu GS were like.
If I could change one thing on the Vision though, it would be the brakes.  They will stop you, just not as quick as you may want them to.  It is for that reason that I am glad that my engine braking is so darn good.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Evan

Quote from: zore on June 22, 2007, 10:03:50 PM
If you could find one cheap enough, the Suzuki SV650 is really where it's at for a starter.

I took a double-take when I walked into a Suzuki dealer and saw the SV650 -- it looks so much like the Vision!

dcsob

Good idea getting gear and training. The msf courses are good refresher and learner courses.
Bikes, the seca's the prototypical ujm (universal japanese motorcycl) inline 4 damn near unbreakable. Most suffered from disuse. You find loads of bikes with "high miles" 25-35 k, for dirt cheap. Lets keep this our little secret. Unless you run them out of oil or crash them you could probably give it to your grand kids. Take decent care it'll give you 100k. Not too bad for jap junk.
The virago, an undeserved bad rap. The starter issue has been dealt with on most of the viragos still running around out there. If the damn thing starts easily without sounding like its ready to detonate like a grenade you have a keeper. I've resurected enough to know. The secret to a happy starter on any virago: heavier guage starter wire (I use #2 guage copper) and a $6.00 ford solenoid from any parts store. Modify to fit paint it black hit the starter button hear/feel the clack of the solenoid and vroom. Mine are '81 750 120k, '82 xv920 euro 98k both original starters. The other secret, shhh, make sure the carbs are synched and turn the idle mixture screw out to 2.5 to 3.5. This is only for off road use only per E.P.A.
The suzy, wicked fast ujm. Great seating position too.
The vision, great bike, carbs blow sometimes,just make sure you clean them well. Look up weber downdraft carbs on triumph car web sites. These gave me some serious insight on how to diagnose the vision flat spot. Hope you like to grind off the outside edge of your boots though. Very technical ride for those who can't handle the quickness of her steering. If you enjoy that bit of risk taking behaviour you will absolutely love the vision. Plus the ability to embarass posuers on their fat tire sport bikes with chiken strips wider than the entire tread of a vision.
Ever watch one of these idiots burn into a corner? Cool yet sad all at the same time, a waste of good machinery.
But I digress.
All in all, the bikes you mentioned are all good choices for new, returning rider. You being mechanic even better for you.

P.S. the heavier guage wire trick is a good one for any bike. Keeps you from burning up those pricey stock solenoids.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter accusations'

pullshocks

Thanks for all the good info.  I spent some time trying on helmets and jackets today, and will soon have the summer calendar firmed up enough to schedule the new rider class.

There are actually 3 Visions on Seattle Craigslist right now....

kiawrench

if you decide to buy a bike, i can help a bit on th ecost of gear go to this site,after you try on the high dollar stuff in a store, sizes are the same, as it is pretty much industry standard- but prices here are way ,way better, and quality is good:

http://www.discount-leather.net/

i keep posting this site when i see people hunting gear, but i buy from them too, a lot.
you can get jackets of all types, cloth,leather, race type or cruiser styles, chaps ,pants, boots, gloves, saddlebags ,even all leather bikini panties for a friend at or below wholesale. 
they even sell wet weather gear, which is really handy .

one word to help out, read the web site articles on leather types and quality, that way, you get exactly the type of gear you want.
if my project bike gets done this year, (bobber with a rootbeer and cream finish ) i will be buying a brown cracker leather gear set to match the bike .

keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Dan Byers

Longtime Vision owner here but 3 years since riding a Vision.

I'd recommend the bike for you that I now own. The Kawasaki EX250 Ninja. They can be had cheap and are pretty bulletproof. Smooth, capable and plenty of pop. 13K Redline and about a 105mph top speed. It's a great handling, fun bike that lets you explore the machine's limits more readily rather than your own.

I am NOT putting down the Vision (owned and heavily modified three of them), but as a first bike you need a little luck on your side if you are expecting a dependable bike w/out some wrenching.

A 2007 EX250 retails for $2999!!

ColinthePilot

i just finished my MSF course, and a guy in the class had just bought a ninja 250 and liked it. It doesn't look tiny like a 250 so to the average onlooker, they can't tell you're riding a tiny bike. I on the other hand started out on my friend's 81 virago, and bought my vision shortly thereafter. Just took it out for my first fully licensed ride and I love it even more. needs some tuning but thats part of owning the V. I'm getting some new parts in soon and she'll be almost perfect in a couple weeks
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

Kenny

Welcome to the Site. :)
    The best & first thing to do is to take the MSF course.
   The rest is part of who you are if you get a lot of satisfaction sorting out a bike you will most likely enjoy the Vision,if you are not mechanically inclined but enjoy working with your hands but are willing to learn you have come to the right site and will have a lot of fun with the Vision.
   I have had 4 other bikes but always return to the Vision as I enjoy the ride and knowing I can for the most part sort any problems out that I encounter.
   I've put a total of over 100,000 miles on three different Visions & have not run out of smiles yet! ;)
                              Enjoy Ken S.

2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

ColinthePilot

I've been in the shadows here for a while, mainly using the technical info to get mine on the road. I bought it in october from an impound yard and had my motorcycle learners permit for a while, but the bike is a week or two from working right and I decided to get my full license. Got that yesterday. went on a ride today. It runs well but little things like keys and starter etc don't exist/work so I pushed it down the parking lot and popped the clutch and took it on a 20 min ride. even in the probably not safe condition its in, it was a blast and i'm thinkin about going out again later.
As for multiples, I value variety so I probably won't buy another Vision, but its a great bike for now, esp on my budget. Once i get all the wires tucked away and the paintjob finished i'll post pics.
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

pullshocks

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.  Got a helmet, gloves, and jacket and signed up for my class, though it will be mid August before that happens.  Really looking forward to it.  My wife is going to take the class too.

I have been working my way through some of the tech info and have some repair manuals out from the library to get ready for the inevitable wrenching.

There are a couple '82 visions for sale around here now, and I thought I might go take a look. 

Other than the fairings, are the 83's really that much better than the 82's?