News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Reality check

Started by pullshocks, June 22, 2007, 12:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

The 83s have better carbs, front & rear suspension, a fuel gauge and some think a better color scheme.  They ironed out the worst bugs of the 82s for 83.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

dj

From what I have heard the 83's suspension is better then the 82.

83's have dual disk front brake (main advantage).
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Tanno

I thought I had double-vision for a short moment.
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

QBS

There is more to an '83 fairing than meets the eye.  The ergonomics are quite different.  Most of the the Vnaries that I've spoken to, that have sat on both an '82 and an '83, prefere the '83 ergonomics.  I do as well.  Don't ever underestimate the '83 fairing.  It turns a naked V day tripper into a wonderful cross country (think thousands of miles) sport tourer.  The lower vents work very well and can really reduce the amount of clothing needed to be comfortable in cold weather.  In most cases from the waist down, just a pair of jeans is all that is needed to be comfortable.

'83, 88k miles, 23 yrs. of ownership....all the best.

h2olawyer

I'll second QBS's fairing remarks.  I had a shark fairing on mine for years.  Went to a full 83 style fairing a couple years ago.  I've been able to ride even in snow a couple times without freezing to death!  As for the ergonomics, I have the lower 83 risers but have not as yet found the right 83 rider peg & brake lever to get the full effects of the changes from 82 to 83.  The slightly more forward / aggressive position of the 83 does make it easier for me on longer rides.  The change isn't more than a couple inches more forward lean with the 83 risers, but I feel much more comfortable over 200 - 300 miles than I ever did with the taller risers.

When the plastic fairing vent controls break, make sure you make the replacement levers long enough to be able to operate while moving.  I've had mine move from cool air to warm air setting when hitting large bumps.  My levers aren't long enough to use while riding.  It's a pain to stop & reset the vent.  In 90+ (F) weather, the warm air venting position is brutal!

While I prefer the styling of the shark over the full fairing, the full sure makes the V a much more comfortable long distance rider.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

One caveat of having a full fairing is in the hot summer months it does restrict the air's ability to cool you as well.  That goes for any bike really.  I personally am not a fan of the 83 fairing unless it's chopped down.  The shark gives just enough protection from the full impact of the wind but I wasn't looking to outfit my V for the open road.  Really IMO they are geared a bit too low for that anyway.  Maybe some Euro gears would be a good addition.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Superfly

The 83 ergonomics are (IMO) much better.  I picked up a set of 83 footpegs to go with my full fairing and lower risers, and it makes for a very comfortable riding position.  Plus, the fairing is great, it really changes the feel of the bike, and the ride.  Instead of catching the brunt of the wind in your chest, the wind just clips the top of the helmet. 

My bike is an 82, with a bunch of 83 parts on it, it is not too bad of a conversion, but looking back, I could have saved a few $$$ by bying a 83, instead of a 82, and getting the 83 fairing/ low risers/ foot pegs/ carbs/ airbox/ tank/ gauges/ forks/ dual front brakes & Master cylinder/ and a aftermarket rear shock.  (Holy crap.. I could have bought a couple of visions for that!!!)
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

h2olawyer

Same here, Superfly!  It's been a labor of love, though.

Once I get the right footpeg & brake lever from an 83, I'll have all the upgrades except the minor engine internals.  Still need to get the tank dent removed & then paint / POR it.  Also need the 83 rear upper engine mount so it clears the 83 carbs.  Then finish my 83 carb rebuild and the fuel system will be done.  I did each upgrade one at a time.  Each one was a noticeable improvement.  When I got the second running / titled 82 (Tractor) this Spring, I was amazed at how much more civilized the 83 upgrades made my V!  Even so, I'll be keeping the Tractor pretty much in 82 trim with the tapered bearings, braided stainless line & progressive fork spring upgrades.  May also look for an aftermarket shock - but that may go on my Silver V and then swap the 83 shock currently there with the 82 currently in Tractor.

H2O

QBS

Do your recent commints regarding the future of Tractor mean that its frame is serviceable?

h2olawyer

Haven't torn it apart to check yet, but looking at all the gussets & overall strength in the area, I'm not too worried about it being bent there.  I'll get the replacement forks on it and do an alignment check with some string out on the driveway before I make the final determination on its future.

H2O