TIRE SIZE

Started by abogado68, June 24, 2007, 09:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abogado68

I HAVE AN 82 VISION. I WANT A LARGER
REAR TIRE MAYBE 130 AND A LARGER FRON TIRE 110? CAN IT BE DONE DUE TO CLEARANCE? OR HOW FAR CAN I GO? HAS ANYBODY OUT THER CHANGED THE TIRE SIZE? HOW DID THE BIKE HANDLE?

Tiger

:) My advise for your '82...

:) Front...100 x 90 x 18
:) Rear....110 x 90 x 18
...Buy good quality tire's...Avon, Metzler, Bridgestone, etc, run at the correct pressure's and your "V" will handle just fine... 8) I don't have any "Chicken Strip's" on my '82's...front or back ;)

A 130 rear will not fit into the rear swing arm set up...a 120 will. However, because you are trying to squish a larger tire onto a skinny rim the center of the tread will "Balloon" and there-fore there is less rubber-to-road contact...Looks good but less effective. That said, I know one or two people have gone with the 120 rear and will disagree with me... ::)

Its nice to complete the journey intact...rather than, 1 - call an ambulance, 2 - clean the s**t outta your pants because you made a wrong decision... ::)

...just my 2 cent's worth ::)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

abogado68

TNAKS A LOT FOR YOUR ADVICE. :) I JUST BOUGHT THE BIKE. IT'S AN 82 VISION CANDY APPLE RED. WITH 1500 ORIGINAL MILES. IT'S COMPLETELY STOCK DOWN TO THE ORIGINAL TIRES. IT LOKKS LIKE IT WAS PUT IN AN AIR TIGHT TIME CAPSULE. THE BIKE IS IN SFO, CAL., AT MY PARTNER´S GARAGE. I PLAN ON RIDDING THE BIKE TO MY PLACE (100 MILES SOUTH OF GUADALAJARA, JALISCO, MEXICO) THIS COMING NOVEMBER. IT'S ABOUT A 2500 MILE ADVENTURE. I'M AN ATTORNEY IN MEXICO AND MY PARTNER IS AN ATTORNEY IN SFO. WE WILL RIDE DOWN TOGETHER. HE WILL RIDE AN 85 KAWA 900CC NINJA AND ME MY BEAUTIFUL VISION. I'M EXCITED. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE I REALLY APRECIATE IT. :)

kwells

WHY YOU YELLING?  just kidding.  How is the inside of the tank.  I bet you will find some particles of rust kicking around in there.  For a 2500 mile trip on a 'stock' vision you will probably run into some probs.  Install an inline filter between your petcock and carbs for now but you will have to line your tank to fix the rusting issues.  There are other upgrades for these bikes that most consider necessary as well such as tapered head bearings.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

abogado68

ALLRIGHT. GRACIAS SEÃ'OR. WHAT ELSE CAN BE DONE AS UPGRADES FOR THE TRIP? THE TANK LOOKS VERY CLEAN. NO RUST.

kwells

really if your bike is running good...it's ready.  Maybe get a hydration pack, some bungies, and hit the road
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

abogado68

On my way to the store for the hydration pack and other.... ;D  Thank's a lot. I'm in the market for a sport fairing for that particular model (82 vision) any givvers?

h2olawyer

Shark fairings (the more common small Vision fairing) come up for sale on eBay from time to time.  Since you won't be making the long trip until November, you have some time to seek one out.  Otherwise, your choices are kind of limited due to the cast handlebars.  There are a couple clear "cruiser" type windshields that fit & would make for some good protection, but don't really fit the Vision's sportier image.

Glad to have a new owner South of the Border!  Welcome to the forum.   :D  (Just what we need -- ANOTHER lawyer here!)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

abogado68

Yep, there goes the forum to many lawyers lol :D Thank's on the fairing, I will be looking for one on e-bay. I have found some great motorcycle roads to cruis down wit the vision. One of them leads directlyr to a volcano I have personally climbed. It's a beautiful twisty mountain road. Another takes you across the state og Guanajuato's mountains and delivers you to San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato. It's a beautiful colonial town (filled with americans including a famous attroney novelist from Texas who lives permanently in San Miguel de Allende).

Another one takes you up a beautiful pine filled scenery highway to lake Patzcuaro(where Jonh Steinbeck's novel "the pearl" was filmed.) Then onward to Morelia, Michoacan, a colonial city declared a world heritage site.

Another road to beautiful San Luis Potosi, which a really beautiful colonial city in the Northern part of Mexico. Lot's of fun and riding to be done on my vision.

Maybe ROV will plan a bike ride down to Mexico. It will be fun. I will be more than happy to colaborate.

Kevin

I would move the rectifier from behind the battery box to the passenger footpeg area for better cooling    before I took off on a long ride. Put some miles on it beforehand and get familiar with the machine.

zore

I just put a set of BT45's on my xz550RR SPO and am happy with them thus far, even if I haven't hit any quality twisties yet.  I'll be interested how long they last.  I got 10k out of the last set of tires.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

abogado68

THANKS KEVIN FOR THE GOOD ADVICE I WILL CERTAINLY DO THAT.

ZORE, WHAT SIZE WERE THE BT45'S?

zore

Front...100 x 90 x 18
Rear....110 x 90 x 18

The only reason to put a wider tire on a bike is horsepower.  Putting too wide a tire on a narrow wheel will negativly effect handling. 

I went with the bt45's because I believe they'll be around a while and I didn't want to get used to a tire I wouldn't be able to purchase in a year.  I believe the avon super venoms are discontinued.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

abogado68

THANK'S ZORE. I'M SORRY I DIDN'T THANK YOU EARLIER, BUT I HAVE BEEN IN MEXICO CITY ON A CASE. I SHALL RIDE MY BIKE FOR THE FIRST TIME NEXT MONTH IN SFO, CA.

VisionMeister

I was just checking my factory manual lately, and noticed the 1983 appendix lists tire size as 100/90 front and 120/80 rear. Wheel widths are unchanged so it seems Yamaha chose to respond to complaints that the original tire sizes were to small. They may have also done it because of the extra weight of 83's.
I have run both sizes and found different brands to seem larger or smaller for a given size, ie: BT45s seem/look small in 90/90 and 110/90 vs Avons. Simply a subjective oppinion. I haven't measured them mounted up.

inanecathode

nothing a length of measuring tape can't fix VM!
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

zore

If you are worried about the looks of the tire on the wheel, then even a 120 would look small to me.  I just wanted tires that worked and handled well. 
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Night Vision

Quote from: VisionMeister on June 29, 2007, 11:12:29 AM
I have run both sizes and found different brands to seem larger or smaller for a given size, ie: BT45s seem/look small in 90/90 and 110/90 vs Avons. Simply a subjective oppinion. I haven't measured them mounted up.

I agree and have measured them. the BT45s are "smaller" than the same sized avons...

I still think I'll go with Jeff Swan's sizes for my roadster.... think about racing bicycles.... skinny skinny tires

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

VisionMeister

I knew they looked smaller.
The BT45's have great traction but mine wore quickly. Especially just off center on the front. It developed a peaked profile and started wobbling if I wasn't firm on the bars. I live in the hills though, so constant cornering is the norm. More straightaway highway miles would probably have helped with the wear pattern.
I really haven't been disappointed by any brand of tire in the last 5 years. Bridgestone BT45, Pirelli Sport Demon and two sets of Avons have all worked great.
I usually replace tires once a year and average about 3,000 miles to a set.
My latest set looks like it will make 4,000 miles due to the cruise to Colorado for the 25 year meet.

jasonm.

Vmeister, the '83 still lists the in the factory manual page 27....110 size for the rear as stock. I have had 120 Metz on mine for years. Has worked well. Get 7-8k out of them. I lean my bike. So the sides get a work out too. Are you doing smoke shows or just not leaning to only get 3k or so out of yours? I am looking at the getting Pirelli Demon now to match my Pirelli "match" front.  Hope I get more than 4k out of it. :-\
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules