News:

Main Menu

HOT!

Started by Ron_McCoy, July 05, 2007, 11:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron_McCoy

OK Ben, want to play rough with making the other guy dissatisfied with his home weather? How's this?
I can ride every day of the year..................... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Just checked the forecast......High today 94....tomorrow 89

inanecathode

Grumble grumble..
Oh yeah!? Well.
uh.
I can um. Sit inside for 8 months :o!
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Aelwulf

Today wasn't only a bit on the warm side here, but typically windy too. :P Around 93 or so with hot dry wind blowing in the face.  The V finally decided to complain after an hour or two of riding around town doing errands and the needle touched the white edge.  It was back to normal though after a break when I had to run into Sears for a new garage door opener.  I can't wait for the full helmet to get in next week.  On the downside it might be a bit TOO quiet since I probably won't hear little noises from the bike (not that I can if I'm over 50MPH now anyway from wind noise).  I need to check fluids as well just in case since some is likely getting back into areas it hasn't been for a bit and should be with it sittin' so long.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

dj

Quote from: inanecathode on July 07, 2007, 05:27:54 PM
Grumble grumble..
Oh yeah!? Well.
uh.
I can um. Sit inside for 8 months :o!

I feel your pain.  Up in Maine it is really cold out from say October till mid March.  September is only really cold out during the dark hours (or if it is raining).  And even though it is decent out in late March through say end of May it is usually raining every other day during that time of the year (that's why everyone calls it mud season).  The sadest part is that I am in the best time of the year for local temps/weather to be riding and my bike is still a lawn ornament.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

kwells

dont worry a full face does not extinguish noises around you or beneath you. 
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Tanno

Quote from: Ron_McCoy on July 06, 2007, 10:55:00 PM
OK, I guess I kind of jumped the gun on saying it was hot yesterday. I rode the ST1300 down to Bakersfield to work today with its digital thermometer.  When I left work, the national weather service website said it was 110 degrees and my thermometer agreed. As I neared the Eastern edge of town, it was reading 113 and climbed to 115.  A few miles further east it was reading 117 for a couple of miles and then returned to 115 until I started to climb up to Tehachapi where it was 102. This was right at 30 miles of 115 degree riding. It felt like I was being roasted in a convection oven. My shins were so hot it actually felt like they were being burned. I was glad I had my mesh jacket, but I saw a couple of other riders in t-shirts. Fortunately I was able to stay hydrated, but it was still a surreal experience.

Thanks for the advice Pete, but its a lot cooler where live.  Its commuting down to the central valley to work that brings on the heat.  When I leave at 6:00 am is cold enough here to make me shiver until I get out of our valley and start dropping down the hill.

I know what you mean. I remember commuting from Tehachapi to L.A. every weekend. That was a ride! I left Tehachapi at around 3am decked out for the cold to arrive in L.A. 2 1/2 hrs later ripping everything off because of the heat.

....memories... That was back in the ages of `90-`94. I still have someone I keep in contact with out there.
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

Ron_McCoy

I commute down to Bakersfield every week day. This spring I did a lot of it on my ST1300 mainly because I could wear my winter jacket in the morning with my mesh in the saddlebag for the ride home.

inanecathode

I have to figure out a cold weather setup for riding my V. Alot of the time the roads are fine, its just really cold outside.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

Tanno

I have a pair of Carharts, windbreaker, latex gloves and a pair of Snap-On work gloves. I had another bike in Cali for about 4 years, that's all I had to get anywhere. When you have no choice but to ride in 30 deg weather, you find what works fast.
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

X-Vision

Here in Bakersfield we get below the 30'S during the winter and I ride to work daily. The fieldsheer suit works great for me! It's all I need in the Winter. MMmmmmmmmmmm.....The Winter................

h2olawyer

I have two sets of Fieldsheer.  The leathers are actually more comfortable in hot weather.  They're white & the entire front is perforated.  The textile jacket & pants I have are really only comfortable at temps below 50 (F), and I haven't discovered their low end.  The jacket has a zip out liner I've never used.  I'll wear them if I have to have some normal clothes for some function, but otherwise, its the leathers.  With the rain suit, the leathers have kept me reasonably comfortable into the low 30s.

kwells, his GF, a couple of their friends and I found a way to beat the heat today.  We went rafting on the Arkansas River - the Brown's Canyon section between Buena Vista and Salida.  The river is kind of low now & there are lots of rocks to avoid.  There were some good soaker waves, though.  Got a good sunburn on my left thigh and the tops of both feet.   ::)  Oh well, it was a great day, even if we weren't on 2 wheels!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

And here is proof we were not on 2 wheels.

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Aelwulf

Urgh, upwards of 96 today.  Kind of glad I have to drive the truck due to some running and all the crap I have to haul around today. :-\

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)