News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

starter clutch

Started by archangelof2003, June 28, 2007, 09:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archangelof2003

ok.  So I have read all the threads I can find on this topic and hate to even ask but you guys have been a great (and fast) help in the past so here goes:

I'm taking the flywheel off my bike to replace the starter clutch.  I have the main crank bolt out and have a puller on it but it just does NOT want to come off.  I cranked on it till it would not crank any more then used the delicate art of harmonics (pounded the end of my puller with a 4lb hammer) and still nothing.  Am I missing something?  Are they all this tight?  I even went to my local dealer to look at their 25 year old manual and it told me nothing special....HELP!
"May the devil know we're dead a half an hour after we're in Heaven..."

Lucky

tighten, pound, tighten, pound, tighten, pound...pop!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

Make sure your puller is pressing on the crank not the flywheel.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Tiger

:) Tighten, pound, carefully, on the flywheel, tighten, pound on the flywheel, etc, and somewhere along the line...pop. Make sure that...1- you have something on the floor, (I used an old bath towel), to catch the flywheel/rollers/end caps/springs...2- During this procedure of...tighten/pound...stand/squat/kneel to the side of and not dead center of the flywheel :o It weights in at a few pounds and literally flies off of the shaft...you do not want to have your body part's in the way ::) ;D :D :D :D

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Tanno

I'm also looking forward to this today. I have my newly rewound stator and going to get this knocked out also. Does anyone know where I can get a 46mm crow's foot today? Sears maybe?
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

Night Vision

nope, not sears around here.... you can go to Ace and find a Plumbers Crescent wrench for around $10. Finish tightening with a sharp punch on the corners of the nut... I also bent over both tabs, not just the one that'll land on a flat, but the other one also, bent it right around a corner of the nut.

with out a 46mm deep socket, you can't torque it to spec... just do the best you can do because it'll be better than it was....
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

archangelof2003

WOW....you guys were serious about that.  It would not come off till  I had the puller as tight as I could humanly get it and pounding on the end with a sledgehammer....If you only knew how nervous I was!  It did come off, I did need a new one, and everything is working good now.  So now I'm back to carb tuning.  Thanks for your help.

h2olawyer

When I did mine, I debated on buying a high quality puller or a cheapie from Harbor Freight.  Went for the cheapie since pounding hard on the end of a tool normally destroys the warranty.  Better to be out $15 or $20 than $50.  However, I ended up using a pneumatic impact wrench and the flywheel just slid off nice & easy.  No parts flying or anything like that.  Highly recommended method for this job.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

Aye yeah, an impact is probably the right tool. Were i to do my starter clutch i'd definitely use an impact.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

archangelof2003

uh..yeah....Mine must have been the factory one cause It would not budge even with 110psi on the impact on the end of my average price puller.  F*&^er was stuck!  I got it though.  Nothing a bigger hammer won't cure!

h2olawyer

I know mine was the factory install (bought the bike with 6 miles on the odometer).  It's always had indoor storage.  Other environmental factors may have led to yours sticking harder.  I normally run my impact @ 110 psi as well.  I still subscribe to the bigger hammer theory on occasion as well.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.