News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Helmets Helmets Helmets!!

Started by [jh], June 30, 2007, 02:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[jh]

I am currently riding with a borrowed helmet, but I think I should return it. I have been looking around and have realized there are fifty million helmets out there. I need to narrow my shearch a little by simply excluding bad shell construction.

The helmets I have been looking at so far......................
            Shoei(which I know are one of the best)
            KBC (I don't know where these guys stand in the market)
            Icon (Not sure on this one either)

How much does the price affect the quality, and not the paint job?
Obviously I don't wanna buy a $90 helmet. But when I'm looking at helmets from $250-$400 I don't know how much of that is in the paint.
wow!

Lucky

A little tip on paint & price:
look at the type of helmet for the manufacturer you like, then look at the same model, but in a solid color. compare the two &  prices & that will give you an idea of how much they are charging for the graphics.

then compare the solid models you like between manufacturers.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

Quote from: [jh] on June 30, 2007, 02:59:59 PM

Obviously I don't wanna buy a $90 helmet. But when I'm looking at helmets from $250-$400 I don't know how much of that is in the paint.

you can get a new plain Shoei RF1000 for around $300 .... nice bucket... check scorpions for a highly rated helmet for around $200

no matter what you get, try one on B4 you decide.... a $500 Arai is worthless if it don't fit.

I like my white Shoei Rf1000... fits great and looks like a ping pong ball going down the road no matter what color skin I have on

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Kevin

Any DOT certified helmet is good protection. The more expensive helmets are usually quieter and lighter. If you wear glasses you might consider the flip up full coverage. Let me back up here, I always think full coverage when talking helmets. Half helmets and open face helmets are not what I consider protective equipment. I wear a KBC lid, DOT& Snell, great ventilation.     

zore

http://www.mcnews.com/mcnews/articles/helmet.htm
http://www.sportrider.com/features/146_0108_buying_motorcycle_helmet/

The key is to buy a helmet that fits right.  I had a shoei ZII and it was alright.  I currently have an HJC AC-12 carbon and love it
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/carbon/

It's lighter than the standard model but is the same in other respects.  The key is to go some place and try some on to make sure they fit right.  Make sure the guy helping you knows what he's talking about.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

kiawrench

. buy the best you can afford. but a word of caution, if it is under 100.00, you arent buying anything worth using .
my choice - HJC sy-max modular with dual tech visior system ,in clear outer visior, uv blocking light in smoke gray for bright day rides is on the inner visor clip .

i like flip up modular helmets, but i also look for DOT and SNELL ratings. the HJC is only DOT rated, but in tests, it exceeded requirements for rating by 700 percent, good enough for me (under 200.00 in any color or paint scheme)

keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

h2olawyer

Any of the name brands will be a quality lid.  Try a lot of them on.  When I went about replacing my very old Bell Tourstar II a few years ago, I just started trying on all I could find in my size.  Different models within the same manufacturer will fit differently.  Buy the one that fits best.  I found the HJC CL-14 fit me pretty good.  Used it for about 4 years.  The chin strap began to fray (one of the signs you need a new helmet).  I went through the process again.  When I tried on the Shoei RF1000, I immediately knew it fit even better than the HJC.  Over time, I hadn't realized how much the foam on the HJC had packed out, loosening the helmet.  The Shoei is uniformly snug all around my head.

The differences I've noticed when spending more for a helmet are:  better ventilation, more convenient features / operation, less noise and maybe a little lighter weight.  The RF1000 is a fair amount smaller in external dimensions than the CL-14.  It's also tons quieter.  A modular style will be louder just because of the hinge mechanism & it's effects on the airflow around it.

One great feature that is available normally on the more expensive lids is a fully removeable liner.  Even the RF1000 has only removeable cheek pads.  A fully removeable liner is much easier to keep clean & in turn, less 'smelly'.

Thus, my advice when choosing a helmet is to make your choice based on the following order:

1.  Fit
2.  Construction (DOT rated minimum)
3.  Features
4.  Price
5.  Style / Graphics

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

Quote from: kiawrench on June 30, 2007, 10:16:09 PM
. buy the best you can afford. but a word of caution, if it is under 100.00, you arent buying anything worth using .
my choice - HJC sy-max modular with dual tech visior system ,in clear outer visior, uv blocking light in smoke gray for bright day rides is on the inner visor clip .

i like flip up modular helmets, but i also look for DOT and SNELL ratings. th eHJC is only DOT rated, but in tests, it exceeded requirements for rating by 700 percent, good enough for me (under 200.00 in any color or paint scheme)

there are no SNELL flip up modulars...no such animal, Snell wont cert them....
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

zore

I had been looking for the article that was written on helmet crash tests but couldn't find it.  Turns out that (going by the data) the cheapest helmet offered the best protection.  I believe it was a scorpion of some sort.  If i can find the article I'll post it. 
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

kiawrench

there are a few manufacturers that claim DOT and snell rated modulars, but , as Lucky says, none have been actually rated snell, due to no test standard being out there. but ,as far a a test data source, you can read :
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/flip_face_helmet_comparison/

they cover a few of the best out there, including the schuberth ,with all steel locking chin bar and dual visors and emergency info pocket.  if it wasnt for the price, schuberth would be my choice, as it fits the best of all helmets i have ever tried on.

as it is, i chose the hjc symax, 2006 model, due to imporved design and materials .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

zore

I was actually looking into getting one of those flip up helmets but I don't believe you can use them on track days atleast this is what I was told.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Aelwulf

I'm currently looking at the Icon Mainframe for my first full helmet.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?action=detail&model_ID=99&Category_ID=8&manufacturer_ID=401&product_ID=17725&sblid_name=detail

Good venting, switchable shields, sounds like good anti-fogging options, DOT & Snell, removable earpads (not full liner but oh well for now) and under $300 by a little.  On the tail end graphics aren't bad either.  Now I just have to find some to try 'em on.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

kwells

my girlfriend has the Icon Mainframe.  It has great ventilation and is much quieter than my Harley helmet.  The padding holds it from moving around even when buffeted from wind.  I think Icon is one of th greatest values for a helmet out there right now while still offering great graphics if that's what you are looking for.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

If you intend on doing some track days or even get into some club racing, a DOT certification alone is not normally sufficient.  Most sanctioning bodies & track owners require a SNELL rating, often the next most recent (now SNELL 2005).  There's also a European rating (which I can't remember at the moment) that most motorcycle sanctioning bodies accept.  Just one more thing to consider when making your purchase.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

[jh]

I think Icon is where it's at for me, but I still need to try some more on .
wow!

markmakeitso

I tried on a few helmets at the Cycle World show, found the HJC CL-14 fit well, and came across a brand new one in the paper about a week later for $100. Good price, great fit, but only decent for wind noise. I've also tried a couple Scorpions and been impressed about the finish quality and fit for a moderate price. I'm a cheap SOB, so I'd rather spend $100-250 now and buy another similarly priced helmet in a couple years than buy a $500 work of art and be reluctant to replace it because of the price.

Motorcyclist had some helmet articles awhile back, I believe they concluded Snell standards aren't very helpful due to tests that don't mimic most motorcycle accidents. There's a double hit test in one spot, which forces manufacturers to increase the strength of the helmet beyond what is ideal for limiting shock to the brain. Of course, YBBMV.

h2olawyer

Since many of my rides are 200 miles or more, I put comfort, venting & low noise at the top of my list.  Right up there is the aerodynamic efficiency - especially in cross winds.  The Shoei outperforms the HJC for me in each of those categories - but by only a little bit, except for noise where the Shoei is much quieter.  The difference was enough for me to go with the Shoei, even at 2x the price of the HJC.  In White, they can be had for just over $300 from several web sources.  I found mine at the local BMW / Ducati dealer for $329.  (Cheaper than the Yamaha dealer!)  The difference wasn't enough to make me order one from some out of town source.  Buy local when possible - you will normally get much better service.

H2O

zore

Well my hjc is the top model and it makes the shoei i had look like bell.  The shoei, i felt was just poorly made.  The vents were lose and the visor never did close right even with many attemps of adjusting it.  In all fairness, the ZII was an older model than than AC-12.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Cdnlouie

The best helmet you can get is the one that fits the nicest.  Compared to the old days there are some awesome helmets today.  Always try on a helmet before you buy.  Once you get the right make and model shop around on ebay or the like and get a good deal.  Hey even a used helmet (in really good condition) is an option to try before you buy a nice new one, and then use it for a spare. Really consider ventilation and if you are riding in extreme heat.  Ventilation is probably more affected by the amount of padding and layout inside the helmet. Helmets really differ in this respect.

I actually change helmets depending upon the season.  I love the Shoei RF models for cold weather, lots of soft padding all around and fits like a glove.  In the hot weather I ditch the Shoei and opt for the HJC CL-Max (flip up modular had a Sys-max previously) not as much padding and lots more air movement yet still very comfortable, you can open it up to get some air as needed. All helmets are designed for different head shapes and you really want to try before you buy because what works great for one fella may not be so great for another.

Good hunting,

archangelof2003

Here's my 2 pennies worth...

If it fits well and is a snell helmet then buy it.  Graphics are nice but any bike show will have an airbrush guy that can, for a nominal fee, paint your helmet whatever color you want.  Fit is most inportant in helmets as a poor fitting helmet is useless.  I like a little wind noise myself as it reminds me I'm on a bike not in a cage.  I wear a CL-14 HJC right now that I moved into from a CL-11.  Both good helmets and believe me, I've tried several on.  Some just seem to fit better than others.  Go for fit.  And always buy a Snell helmet. 
"May the devil know we're dead a half an hour after we're in Heaven..."