News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Hose pinch on YICS

Started by Pojo, August 24, 2004, 02:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pojo

I noticed that when my bike is running the hose going to the front cylinder from the YICS seems to pinch and almost close,     it does it at the rate of the of the front cylinder's compression or whatever you call it. Is this normal? or is it showing somethign wrong?

Also about carb synching,   are my carbs synched good enough if it idles? It can idle most of the time but after about 5 seconds I have to give it a littel throttle.

h2olawyer

Pojo -

The YICS hoses should not "pinch" closed.  You need to replace them - not surprising for their age.

The only way to tell if your carbs are synched correctly is with a manometer.  They're available from JC Whitney, Dennis Kirk, other bike stores or you can make one for real cheap.

The idle problem will likely improve with the replacement of your YICS hoses but synchronization is the procedure that gets your bike running its best.  I tend to check the synch every time I do any carb related changes.  (jets, mixture screws, etc.  I also find I need to resynch if I remove and replace them even if I haven't separated them from the braces or moved the synch rod.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

The hoses are collapsing because their old & worn out. replace them.

Have you synq'ed your carbs?  no, just because it runs and almost idles does not mean the synq is right or even close.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Pojo

So does the Manometer that you make work at all or should I have somone do it for me, I personally know a local guy taht works on bikes and would moslt likley have one.

h2olawyer

Pojo -

The homemade manometer works great.  That's what I use & it gets the carbs synched great.  The adjustment is very touchy and all you need to do is make small turns of the adjustment rod.  Also, be careful & don't tighten things up beyond snug.  The threads are very fine & easily damaged.  It is a project that is easy to do if you decide to do it yourself.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.