News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Blakes New paint job, and fairing off a GSXR

Started by Blake, August 24, 2004, 08:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake

Just thought id post some pictures..pictures not the greatest, just did them as i was running out of the place, but gives you an idea.. ill take better ones later this weekend..

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/bstoddar/Vision/GSXRFairing/

if anyone wants ill write about the fairing tomorrow, but right now im rushing to get some reading done so i can go to sleep..

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

jasonm.

That must be one of the very early GSXR fairings....it's fiberglass. They don't make them like that anymore. Nice...
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Blake

well..looking at it..its apparantly a "race" fairings.. made my airtech streamlining.  theyre still in buisness over in california..  last week i was trying to figure out what gsxr it came from, and just by doing a little picture comparison, im PRETTY sure its from around 93 gsxr 600.  one of these days ill get around to writing down the information on the manufacturer label and send an email to them asking what it is.  Maybe ill have to see about sides and lowers too :).  the fairing's width is a nice size and im pretty sure the rest would fall in place relatively nicely too.

as for the mounting job..its pretty cruddy, and temporary..  just used some 1/8" steel strip.  i bolted them to these "nut sockets" that are on each side of the steering stem.  seems to work pretty good.  only problem is the steel at legnth is springy, hence the reason for the 1/8" bar you see welded along parts of the strips.  when i get some time ill actually go around and measure the whole thing and make a nice rigid mount out of some box tubing.  one thing i need to figure out is some sort of brace for the sides of the windshield.  either the fiberglass isnt thick enough or its meant too...but the thing flops a little more than i would like at speeds of 50+mph.  ALTHOUGH its really not that bad..just some side to side buffeting that makes you worry a little.

the fairing actually works pretty nice.  As you can see, i opted to mount it solidly so it doesnt move with the handlebars.  the only thing that would really need to be modified is the underside where theres a protuding piece of fiberglass...kind of like the middle part of a "W"  because of that i had to mount the fairing a little further out than i would have liked.  i'll do a little chopping and it should tuck in nicely.  Also, i need to figure out what to do with all of the wiring.  not being in the headlight anymore, its sort of just sitting there out in the open.  for now i think ill just ductape a couple heavy plastic bags around them.

as for the lights, i picked up a couple of mr-16 driving lights from wally world the other day and am going to mount them on the underside, in the middle, and also i need to figure out about turn signals.  riding around the past couple days to school and back has been ..intersting..to say the least.  seems no one in virginia knows about hand signals, or what they mean.

"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."