News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

AUGH!

Started by Aelwulf, July 10, 2007, 11:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aelwulf

Figured time for a new Charlie Brown moment.  One of the downsides *albeit it typically few :D* of being single is not always having someone else nearby to lend a hand.  So although I wait to put the bike on the truck until I have help it's usually not too tricky to get it down without (although nice to least have a spotter).  I've gotten it down several times without much issue, one without much brakes either. :P

Well today she wanted to be adventurous.  Wheels were lined up, going down nice, waits for me to step off the tailgate and I swear literally jumped sideways.  Thankfully it wasn't clear of the truck yet so between me catching it was going and the bed of the truck I caught it before it fell.

Pushed back to standing properly, went to continue (too far down to push back up) and it did it again with the rear.  I must've used Mexican jumping gas or something.  Anyway, the back end somehow cleared the ramp and landed on the pavement.  So I'm standing there holding the handlebars as it's now perpendicular to the ramp with the front wheel still on it.  You could about see the little question marks over my head.  So I shrugged and backed it so the front wheel dropped off and all's well.

So yeah...at least have a spotter if at all available, if nothing else to sit there and be confuzzled with you when something like that happens.  Snigger away. ;)

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

h2olawyer

My truck is just too high to even attempt loading or unloading while alone.  Full size F250 4x4s have the tailgate about 3 feet off the ground.  Two works, but 3, 4 or even 5 is better.  Might try it alone with a dirt bike or something that weighs less than about 300 lbs.

Glad you & the bike both survived!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

abogado68

Murphy's Law my fellow counsel. Explain Mexican jumping gas? Did you eat mexican jumping beans, so know your gas jumps? :D :D :D :D :D

Aelwulf

Quote from: abogado68 on July 11, 2007, 12:14:53 AM
Murphy's Law my fellow counsel. Explain Mexican jumping gas? Did you eat mexican jumping beans, so know your gas jumps? :D :D :D :D :D

True on Murphy.  The jumping bit is about the bike hopping all over.  Mexico have any oil fields/refineries?

*thunk*
What was that?!

abogado68

Yes. Actually a bunch of guys lit some up last night.

ps2/bikevision

dont feel bad ive done the dame thing. went to unload my v out of my truck when it was raining. that was the first mistake. i was sitting on the bike with it in first gear and using the clutch as a brake. got the rear tire half way down the ramp and the other ramp that was to my left that i had my foot on slid out. and we both went down. luckyly i was able to get clear but the poor bike was laying there half in the truck still and i couldnt get it to stand back up. i ended up pulling the ramp that the tires were on out from under the bike and letting it flop down on the ground, landing on its tires but still leaning aginst the other ramp then it was easy from there.      lesson learned. dont unload in the rain. i can ride the vision up into the back of my truck so its easy to load just unloading is a bit harder.

ColinthePilot

never tried it alone. always had 2 or 3 folks and its easy. glad the bike survived...nice that you're ok too. :)
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

Lucky

uhh... no one ever just back the truck up to an embankment & drive the bike on??...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Tough to find one within walking distance of my house.  Getting both the truck & bike to the nearest available one, loading & getting back home would take several hours for me.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

I say load the bike so that the front is facing toward the back.  When you're ready to unload simply start her up and launch right off the back of the truck.  If you are able to slightly get the front wheel to lift you can get a better landing once you hit the ground. 
Problem solved.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

I tried loading my xt250 by riding it up the ramp and into the bed.
Works until you try to stop on the metal bed.
Bad times...
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

The spray in (Bullhide) liner in my P/U gives great traction - even when wet.  The Cheng Shins slide on it a little, but the Avons are like glue on that stuff.

H2O

Aelwulf

Quote from: Lucky on July 13, 2007, 12:58:13 AM
uhh... no one ever just back the truck up to an embankment & drive the bike on??...

None around here that would be tall enough.  Full-size Ram with somewhat larger than stock ATs.

My ramp would hold the weight of both me and the bike but it is a bit narrow, and I'm still too newbish to be doing that kinda stunt yet. ;) Plus the sliding factor as I don't have my bed lined yet. :P

*thunk*
What was that?!

zore

I once unloaded a klr650 by myself by using a small lunch size cooler.  Got teh rear wheel on the cooler, then off.  Not the most gracefull way to get a bike off a pickup, but sometimes you gots to do what you gots to do.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

h2olawyer

Necessity - the mother of invention.

Bet the cooler was full of Woodchuck!   :D

H2O

inanecathode

I load and unload my bikes at my house with my retaining wall. Its about a 3.5 foot rise off my sloped driveway, so i just back up to the wall and drive the bikes on and off without a ramp :D
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

zore

Quote from: h2olawyer on July 13, 2007, 12:39:49 PM
Necessity - the mother of invention.

Bet the cooler was full of Woodchuck!   :D

H2O

HAHAHAHA... you know it's funny that I believe the first and last time I had a wood chuck was like 4 years ago.  I do believe tonight the woodchuck and I will get reacquainted.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900