83 vision in NY $500

Started by d0n, July 11, 2007, 11:42:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Quote from: firstone on July 21, 2007, 04:35:06 PM
She has made it home.  No problems on the road!   :) :) :)

YAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!   You SAVED a Vision!

Good luck and congratulations!!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

d0n

alright!

I found the service manual last night. I knew it was around somewhere!

PM me your address and I'll get it out to you next week.

dj

She has made it home.  No problems on the road!   :) :) :)

Any pics yet?  I just checked your profile, I picked up Black "Beauty" ($250.00, I think I payed almost that much in gas and tolls getting down and back) up from less then 30 miles from your area (I think it was Waren).  I recognized 93 around Hookset as that is one of the roads that my wife and I had to take.

Hopefully you can get your new find on the road as quickly as I got "Beauty" running.  5 hours and some organ transplanting from the blue bike (it still wouldn't start) and she is now running and idleing.  I'll be taking a test drive with her tonight once my wife gets home from work.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

firstone

At this point both my bikes are running and idling!  But both need a fair amount of cosmetic work.  Bike #1 seems to lose the tac and rear cylinder ignition intermittently. The new bike also needs to be gone over in detail to find any lurking problems.  D0n was worried about the starter bolt fix needing to be done.  I am looking into that first.  There also seem to be a prevalent gas smell about the bike.  Something is leaking some where, but its not obvious enough to drip. Next bit for me is to get bike #2 registered and buy a bloomin helmet!

zore

The gas smell might just be the gas cap. 
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

dj

Quote from: zore on July 23, 2007, 07:37:25 AM
The gas smell might just be the gas cap. 

That would be my guess as well.  If anything else was leaking you would be able to at least see a wet spot somewhere.  Check the gasket on the cap and see if it is messed up or not.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Riche

Supervision. The fellow who made the roadbike Yankee had either Stelito or Phantom cylinders on the engine with, I think, Bing carbs and expansion chambers similar to what the flat track guys were using at the time but with "reasonable" silencers on the ends.
I'm done with the Ossa stuff so will not be needing any parts. It seems I've to many irons in the fire, my Vision has traveled less than 50 miles so far this year.  :-[

d0n

I never noticed a gas smell with the bike. I'm sure it doesn't leak gas or I would have seen a leaky spot on the ground.

Check the starter clutch and the front brake calipers and ride it if they're ok.

firstone

Looking forward to being on the road soon.  Still need to get a helmet & insurance.  I'm hoping that I will be riding by the weekend!

Scott_Mc

She has made it home.  No problems on the road!   :) :) :)
After numerous posts on methods of tying, please share which you chose!

Quote from: DaveTN on July 21, 2007, 05:50:18 PM
YAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!   You SAVED a Vision!

Good luck and congratulations!!

David

8)That's two saved in as many months 8) Keep up the good work firstone!
Owned an `82 XZ for 22(?) years!
Current 2-`85 and 1-`86 GS1150E/ 1-`85 GS700ES
Wanted:-ST1300 :-O !!

supervision

Richie, setting the Yankee up with horsepower for the street, would make a pretty  impressive bike.  For sure I'd want an 18" wheel and disk.   Do you know if they made it fire like a twin, I got to ride  one at Steamboat one time  that was twinned, it sure had a different sound than mine.  Sounded like a outboard motor with too much flywheel
" border="0

firstone

Hi Scott;  Technically they both fall within 1 month ;)  I ended up compressing the front and rear shocks nearly completely, but not using either the side or center stand.  I had purchased a wheel chock to take care of the "soft" front wall of the trailer.  I had also installed eyebolts into the floor forward of the handlebars and at the tail to tie down without regard to the sides of the trailer at all.  I watched the bike the whole trip in the rearview and it didn't bounce or shift any perceivable amount.  I also bought the slings that you pointed out on E-Bay.  They worked great! 

dj

The method that I used to tie down Black "Beauty" (the one I picked up last week) was to have a tie strap in the front wrapping around the lower fork tubes just above the fender, and I had a tie strap going around the rear swing arm and through the rear tire.  Bike didn't move an inch, and I saw the suspension working on almost every bump (just a slight up and down, but the tires never moved).

That was the first time I tied down like that and I gotta say I was very impress.  Every other time I have tied down the bars and the rear portion of the seat and the damn bike always shimied around in the back of the truck.  This last time it didn't budge.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Kenny

Hey!
   Thats what I like to see, someone else who knows how to tie a bike down without "Stressing the Suspension Components!"
          Congrats dj.
                              Cheers Ken S.
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

supervision

after a quick weekend of riding in California, this tourist re-crates his bike to send air freight home

" border="0

zore

Quote from: supervision on July 28, 2007, 11:47:28 PM
  after a quick weekend of riding in California, this tourist re-crates his bike to send air freight home

What a squid that guy is.  ;D
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

d0n

Quote from: firstone on July 24, 2007, 05:29:48 PM
Looking forward to being on the road soon.  Still need to get a helmet & insurance.  I'm hoping that I will be riding by the weekend!

firstone, do you still have the vision I sold you?

I just found the original sales receipt and thought you might want it. It's a neat piece of history for the bike. Pm me your addess and I will mail it to you.

d0n

I just realized I have your address in my messages from back in july 07. If it's still the same NH address, I'll send it out tomorrow. I hope the bike is working out well for you.

-Don

Rick G

Next time you need to store a bike in a damp enviroment , hose it down with a couple of cans of WD 40  first . it will thank you for it.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

d0n

good idea. The bike had surface rust on it even before storing it in that damp warehouse for the winter. The dampness accelerated the rust big time. I would have been better off leaving it outside and covered. Live and learn.